Help! Severe foot pain!!

I'm a fairly frequent runner/jogger both road running and on the treadmill. I recently purchased new 'free run' nike trainers for short distance runs (under 4miles).

I jumped on the treadmill last night and during my walk warm up (about 6km per hour) I noticed the top of my foot was hurting. After running 2km I had to stop because my foot was absolutely throbbing from the pain and had me limping around the rest of my gym session.

This morning I woke up, felt fine. Put heels on to go to work - pain isn't there. I took my heels off and put my flats on to go for a walk through town and the pain is unbearable.

I'm now back at home and even just sitting down I can feel the throbbing pain in my foot. Its slightly swollen but no sign of any bruising as of yet.

I don't really have time to go to the doctors (I commute 1.5hours each way for work) and had a week off last week for tonsillitis.

Can anyone offer any advice on what this might be? Should I take a trip to A&E to get it x-rayed?

Thanks in advance :(

Replies

• cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    I don't really have time to go to the doctors (I commute 1.5hours each way for work) and had a week off last week for tonsillitis.

Can anyone offer any advice on what this might be? Should I take a trip to A&E to get it x-rayed?

Thanks in advance :(

From the description you have given, you NEED to seek medical advice - this website does not offer medical support.....I work for a large hospital/provider network - podiatry included....

Do the right thing and see your PCP or Podiatrist.. or if you have an Urgent Care/Immediate Care facility, go there....
  • I would get rid of the shoes. It also sounds like the shoe was rubbing against your foot that it made it throb. Could it be arthritis setting in? I don't know how old you are but it may be the beginning stages of arthritis. Did you have any injuries in that spot before? If the pain continues I would go to a Dr. (prefrebably a sports medicine Dr.) I have been running for over 25 years and ran cross country in college. So this is something that I have never seen before. I have had shin splints and a twisted ankle that now has slight arthritis in it. So sorry I could not be more helpful. Good Luck and please post back on here and let me know how you are making out. Dee
  • sarafil
    sarafil Posts: 506 Member
    Wow, I don't know. plantar fascitis usually is when the pain is in the bottom of the foot, and I don't know anything that causes pain on the top of the foot, but no pain when wearing heels. I would probably take two aleve 2x per day (I know that is not the indicated way, but you can safely do that for no more than two weeks, as long as you are healthy) to help inflammation, and I would ice it as much as you can. I suppose it is possible that you have a stress fracture in your foot; maybe try treating yourself for a couple of days, and if you don't see any improvement I would go to the doctor. I would also stay off of it as much as you can!