Trying to work towards a 5K

Options
Hello All:
I'm new to the running thing. I've started training, but currently I can only go about a little over a half mile of jogging. I'd love to be able to run a 5K, but I'm no where near that currently. I've never run a race before, and this might seem like a silly question. But, I can easily walk a 5K, but I know I can't run it yet. Are there people who participate in 5Ks that don't run the full distance? A friend and I are both in the same situation and want to set this as a goal, but we don't want to feel like the only ones who are walking a good distance. Should we just wait till we're stronger and faster with our times? I'd love to just set the goal to say "hey, I did a 5K!" because I NEVER thought I'd be able to say that I completed one before.

Replies

• gooseafur
    gooseafur Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what people will suggest! I'm going to try and walk/run my first 5K this summer too. I'm excited and training hard! Hopefully by August I'll be strong enough to run the whole thing!! Good luck!
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've just started the Couch-to-5k training this week (just back from my week 1 session 2). It's a great programme and you should be running 5k within about 9 weeks.

Take a look here:
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml