High calorie but healthy!!!

Options
Anyone got a good way of eating some calories whilst staying away from chocolate and booze! We are training for a 4 day trek in Peru at the end of the year so will have numerous days where we are walking 8hrs + a day, with just a packed lunch in our bag. Need high cal breakfast and dinner without it being junk.

We are determined to get healthy but getting the balance right can be difficult. Would rather stay away from cr*p altogether.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    nuts and seeds are good dense energy sources for on the move. Walnuts, almonds, macadamia, etc etc.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Breakfast smoothie:

-2 scoops of whey (flavour of your choice)
    -100g Ground oats
    -Banana
    -10ml of extra virgin olive oil OR 1 large spoon of peanut butter

Total calories should be around 800-900 depending on choices made.
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    pumpkin seeds roasted!! YUM!!
  • Elizaj85
    Elizaj85 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    How about omelletes for breakfast made with egg whites as well as maybe one whole egg, with healthy fillings (cottage cheese, ham, pepper, onions, ham, tomatoes etc)
    porridge is always really good with some sort of healthy topping

Or you could split your breakfast in to, two parts for example a healthy well balanced yoghurt smoothies made with frozen fruit berries and flaxseed (healthy fats/protein and dietary fibre very good stuff) etc then follow that with something else like porridge

Dinner you could have stews, casseroles, lean meats with vegetables and couscous/wholegrain rice (very healthy high calorie is rice) Baked potato with salad and filling and a salad etc

hope that helps
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Nuts, seeds, whole grain crackers, dried fruits, dry roasted edamame. Or mix them all those together for a healthy homemade trail mix.

Peanut butter sandwiches on whole grain bread are also healthy and high calorie.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    nuts, peanut butter
  • juliep1974
    juliep1974 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Smoothies made with protein powderare a great way to add a lot of healthy calories and there are a ton of variations. I like to add peanut butter if I've got the calories to spare. Yum!
  • blueshirt72
    Options
    Yum, that all sounds really tasty! I am really struggling at the moment as i am out and about a lot as well as exercising and that results in me having huge calorie defecits that i seem to be filling up with chocolate. Not good. Will give some of these ideas a go.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    definitely peanut butter!! and bananas :)