Need Sugar!!!!!!!

Options
Hey MFP peoples!
Little help please?
I love my coffee in the morning-can't go without! But I know that I am spending 105-130 calories every morning just on my coffee alone! I do not put actual sugar, but use sugary creamers (like CoffeeMate Italian Sweet Cream and Creme Brulee). At first I refused to give these up! Now after realizing that I really crave the sugar so much, I have decided I really need to ween myself a bit!
So then I tried Truvia....NEVER AGAIN! My stomach bloated and cramped so badly (I know,TMI) that I thought I was dying of food poisoning!!
Has anyone found any sugary substitutes for their coffee???
I love my sugar and cream with a little bit of coffee!!! lol

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    there are several artificial sweeteners you can try, by the sound of it the Truvia had some sugar alcohol in as a bulking agent.

Tried splenda or canderel in tablet form ?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I use Splenda. Stevia makes my tongue and throat tingle. :/
  • Hippie_Soul
    Hippie_Soul Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Splenda..wasn't sure if it was made out of the same thing that Truvia is...ugghh I wouldn't take the risk again! ha!

Canderel in tablet form-I have never heard of it...is that something they sell in regular stores such as Walmart??
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Nutrasweet may be the brand to look for - aspartame. If you get the little tablets of Splenda or any other sweetener you have the minimum ingredients. Truvia / Stevia can be bulked out in spoonable form using maltodextrin or polyols and I suspect it was the latter from your stomach cramps. A different brand or format may use a different bulker so read the labels !
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have not tried Splenda..wasn't sure if it was made out of the same thing that Truvia is...ugghh I wouldn't take the risk again! ha!

Canderel in tablet form-I have never heard of it...is that something they sell in regular stores such as Walmart??

Nope. Splenda is table sugar that has had a certain chemical group replaced. Truvia is made from a plant.
  • onyx1972
    onyx1972 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What about the natural sweetners live Stevia or honey or blackstrap molasses? They might be suitable... I am not a coffee person so these may alter the taste I do not know... but that is not the worst way to spend 100 claories and you could make them up with a quick 15 minute walk if you just wanted to keep yoru coffee. At any rate.. Good Luck... and you are doing great
  • tehzephyrsong
    tehzephyrsong Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    My dad is diabetic but he can't stand black coffee; splenda works well enough for him, and neither he nor I has ever experienced stomach distress after using it.
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    going to say something controversial, but..if you need some sugar..have some. And work out for an extra 10 minutes..simple :)

Artifical sweeteners are very unhealthy, stay away from them, they are chemicals your body does not need and have been linked to many illnesses.

I also have a massive sweet tooth, every morning I have 1 cup of tea or coffee with 2 heaped teaspoons on unrefined brown sugar. I just build it into my daily calculation of calories in vs calories out.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I was stuck on having a Coke in the morning. I found that starting the day with sugar ensured that I would crave it all day long. Now I drink black coffee and low sugar breakfasts. If I'm dying for a sweet later in the day, I have something small. But starting the day with sugar made the rest of the day unbearable. If you can learn to like black coffee, it is worth a try. And you know what they say, "Once you go black, you never go back." (I'm writing that with irony at the inherent racism. I don't really believe that, so critics, please read with that intent.)
  • MaidenofLaurus
    MaidenofLaurus Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Any sugar that ends in -ol is most likely a sugar alcohol. I learned the hard way from consuming too much of that from sugar free candies. I usually hate Splenda, but I am getting used to it. Any "sucralose" sweetner is not too bad tasting, xylitol (made from birch trees) is good, but very light and may cause problems in excess.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    I completely understand!! I have cut out all of my added sugar except for in my coffee! I can't stand anything artificial, it leaves an after taste that I hate....UGH!! What I have done is just use my regular coffee creamer & cut my sugar down by 1tsp at a time every couple of days...Now I still have my coffee with sugar but I have cut my sugar in 1/2....Do it slowly & you can do it but like someone else said just exercise a little bit more (15mins or so) to take away those extra calories.....I can't live without my sugar in my coffee! Good luck to you!
  • zebramama84
    zebramama84 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Coffee is my last sugar stand LOL i have switched to STEVIA and i use 1 teaspoon instead of 4-5 tsp of sugar and i use fat free creamer, i drink 2 cups every other day or so ....... * im not cutting it because im not dieting .... im making a lifestyle change ! and sucessfully i might add. Also when i buy stevia it needs to not have a bunch of other crap in it too !
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My hubby uses agave nectar sometimes, I think you can use like half the amount of sugar you would use. I've tried cocnut milk before instead of milk as well, it was ok but personally didn't love it. I just drink it black now when I do have coffee, amazing how quick you get used to things. You could also try switiching to black tea and adding nothing, this is what I do during the week (saves my teeth from sensitivity issues)
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    Thank you for all the responses!! Definitely gives me some options to consider and try out!!
  • ksinka
    ksinka Posts: 8
    Options
    Agava nectar? Sold in any wholefoods or trader joe's, even regular supermarkets have it. Natural sweetener, better then artificial ones. I read some research, that splenda is not good for women's health. Makes you feel sleepy, tired, and many women have allergy on this kind of sweeteners and they don't even know about that. They said, if you don't feel well in general and you take splenda or other sweetener containing the same ingredients, try eliminating it from your diet.
  • Hippie_Soul
    Options
    Agava nectar? Sold in any wholefoods or trader joe's, even regular supermarkets have it. Natural sweetener, better then artificial ones. I read some research, that splenda is not good for women's health. Makes you feel sleepy, tired, and many women have allergy on this kind of sweeteners and they don't even know about that. They said, if you don't feel well in general and you take splenda or other sweetener containing the same ingredients, try eliminating it from your diet.

That sounds really awesome! Something natural is probably the way to go.

autumnk921 - YES!!! You understand this dilemma then!