Get me off this plateau!!

Options
Need help getting off this stupid plateau! Am 41, 5'1- and currently at 130 lbs. I started tracking my food with MFP in November 2011,when I was 135. So I've lost 5 lbs slowly but surely, but for the last two months have fluctuated between 129 and 130. I just upped my calorie goal frim 1200 to 1300 based on some other feedback, and am seeing a nutritionist as well. I'd like to get down to 125 to start. Five pounds! Just Five pounds! I do two hard workouts a week- circuit training, and then walk a lot daily. at least six glasses of water, and little else to drink. advice? What am I doing wrong? What should I change? thanks all!

Replies

• Iram987
    Iram987 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    bump
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    how much is a lot of walking? any strength training? if no, then i'd incorporate some! intervals? if no, 1-2x a week. if you've been dieting for several months then I'd suggest you eat at maintenance for a while--maybe 4-6 weeks and then reduce calories again.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    When you reach a plateau, make you meals ones bigger. approved
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Time ot get uncomfortable and level up.
  • Iram987
    Options
    Hi! do you mean more calories, or more activity?

By walking- a total of 30 mins a day for my job, and also activitis with my 5 year old.

thank you!
  • yoovie
    Options
    Hi! do you mean more calories, or more activity?

By walking- a total of 30 mins a day for my job, and also activitis with my 5 year old.

thank you!

No I mean its time to go hard or stay put. If you want to really kick a plateau into oblivion, its time to make workouts a serious priority, and not just walking, but getting sweaty and sore and doing it consistently. If what you do isnt helping you progress anymore, its time to do more, alot more.
  • Iram987
    Options
    YOOVIE- you're so right. i do two hard circuit workouts a week, with cardio and weights, but I guess not enough. I'm trying to fit in more work out time.. need to make this a priority!
  • yoovie
    Options
    Also... if you drink soda, its time to cut that ish out too. Nows the time. :) Good luck!
  • Iram987
    Options
    haven't had a pop in years! only water or cut down fruit juices. Thank you!!!!
  • Iram987
    Options
    Can someone please take a look at my board and tell me what I"m doing wrong? Weigh in was today and i'm up to 131! thank you!
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    There's a lot of sugary snacks in your diary. Instead of the muffins, cut up a few different fruits and mix it with your yogurt. Instead of chocolate covered almonds, go for plain raw almonds. You'll be able to have more to fill up without the extra calories from the chocolate.
  • js370
    Options
    Any physical activity?
  • Iram987
    Options
    oh yeah. I have a very physical job... walking about 2-3 miles daily. Hard circuit training two times per week. My problem has always been sweets, so I switched to the almonds thinking at least they are healthier. Sigh.. I hate obsessing!
    thanks for your help!
  • js370
    Options
    Big chocolate fan myself. Occasionally, when I want some, in most cases, a glass of low fat milk with a tablespoon of chocolate powder, can help.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Whenever I seem to be on a plateau and weight loss seems to come to a halt I do something extraordinary that my body isn't used to. Like bike 90 miles, or advanced figure skating.
  • sukki321
    sukki321 Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. I lost 4lbs in the first three weeks and now I'm fluxing back up 1-2 lbs then back down, but never getting lower than 143. I'm 40years old, 5'7" and in general its really been tough for me to get down to 140. I'm truthful with MFP and I do my 40 min cardio work outs three times a week, mix it up with yoga and even my stretch band for muscle. I've cut out alcohol, red meat and eat very little processed food. Never drink soda. I'm wondering if these 'diet snacks' like fiber bars and fruit strips aren't getting in the way. Fake sugar seems tricky. Do something drastic - like go all natural food only - but be sure you are willing to stick with it so the weight doesn't come right back on?

I'm willing to bet you and I are both too hard on ourselves. The smaller we are, the harder it is to lose. Maybe concentrate on toning the baby areas rather than the number on the scale. You can change your dress size without losing weight. I had my last child 18 years ago but I still struggle trying to look like a non-mom in certain areas but yoga and strength training have made my happier with certain areas. Good luck.