Dog owners, I have a predicament..

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh! And if you have a bagless vacuum, drip some essential oil on the foam thing on top of the filter. If you have a bag vacuum, drip it onto each new bag. When you vacuum, it fills your house with the oil's scent.
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Please please please do not try some of the methods suggested (water/ air / bubble wrap/ paper).
    I'm horrified!

Whilst I understand that there are different schools of thought on dog training anything which has a negative impact on the dog is a BAD idea! It breeds contempt and frustration & with your son in the house you don't want a dog to be wound up & snap do you?

Water is acceptable as a last resort if positive training doesnt work, compressed air is downright dangerous - all cans say to keep away from human skin / body, why would a dog be any different!!?

Paper or foil or bubble wrap will scare the dog but it may result in them slipping & having an injury - doubt you want vet bills or guilt when bf comes home!

I'd say take time to get to know the dog as you would expect bf to get to know your son, work on positive reinforcement (treats for coming off furniture when told) give it a safe comfortable section of the house easy to clean - kitchen with baby gate would be fab.

If you groom regularly & get right down to infer coat with a rake the shedding will be
    More manageable but spring is always bad for shedding.

Hope this helps, your relationship with the dog can be manageable, maybe even pleasant one day so long as you don't make the mistake of using negative techniques to repress behaviour early on in your bonding phase that could cause irreparable damage!
  • dyannajoy
    dyannajoy Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I have a pomeranian that has black fur. He would get so hot and miserable in the summer but the groomers really discouraged shaving him, so I would just brush and groom him instead. They said he would stay cooler with his fur on. After several times of seeing him laying wrapped around the toilet stool to cool himself down, I finally put my foot down and said SHAVE HIM! I have been shaving him now in the summer for the past 5 years or so and he is soooooooo happy. His fur is not as beautiful but I don't care, I just needed him to be comfortable. Do what works best for you and your dog. Others are not experts even if they think they are. Good luck with the new doggy and bf. Dyanna
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,791 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of compromises in a relationship.

There are some issues that require both parties to agree too and a compromise might not be applicable. I believe kids and pets fall into this category. I think either has the right to say no to either.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of compromises in a relationship.

There are some issues that require both parties to agree too and a compromise might not be applicable. I believe kids and pets fall into this category. I think either has the right to say no to either.
    I look at the dog differently than a kid. My son and bf LOVE each other. My son is 4, is genreally clean and quiet, though his room is often cluttered with toys. He doesn't make messes on the floor or furniture. I know others may agree but I would probably chose a person that I love over an animal, hypothetically.

The dog was good when I just went to let him out. I cleaned the couches last night and one was covered in blakc hair already! I pointed at it and said, "BAD DOG" in a stern voice and I know he knew what was up because he put his tail between his legs and laid on the rug. He'll enjoy his walk tonight, crossing fingers we break the couch habit soon!
  • Ceffy
    Ceffy Posts: 235
    Options
    Telling the dog off only works if you tell them off as they do something, any delay at all and the tail between the legs, ears down, upsetness is at its owner shouting rather than it knowing what it's done wrong, far better to correct behaviour than punish actions
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I made my couch uncomfortable for dogs, putting some bubble wrap or paper bags down so when they jump up it's loud and uncomfortable can teach them quickly, and then you can remove it when they learn. Or if you're someone who likes the water spray bottle technique that will work too. My old Rottie hated being on the furniture because it was so hot, he really preferred the cold tile floor so that helped a lot! Does the dog have a comfy place to lay down to be in the same room with you? They are social creatures and keeping them locked away is so sad.

I was thinking like thise too. I have put aluminum foil on my couch to keep the dog off. This might work for when you are out. He stays off when you are home, so you just need to put it on when you leave. That will train him and after a few weeks you can try to go out without putting the foil on and see if it works.

Good luck to you.
  • loombeav
    loombeav Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm a little surprised by all the comments of "put xyz on the couch" Seriously, having a kid and a dog is enough work, why in the world would anyone want to add to it by papering the couch before they leave everyday. Plus as another person as posted, that really can be dangerous for the pup. SMH.
    We're bringing our new puppy home Friday afternoon and he will be getting crate trained. Not all dogs love this though, we had a chihuahua that hated to be crated and would howl and chew at the bars till he was let out. I'm hoping our new little guy does much better.
  • Isarian
    Isarian Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also recommend daily walks with your dog and the "Furminator" dog brush. See http://www.amazon.com/FURminator-Long-Hair-deShedding-Large/dp/B0040QQ07C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1334779013&sr=8-2 - they have it for long and short hair in several blade sizes. I have the cat version for my Maine Coon, and it works wonders! As for the walking, it'll be a great way to bond with your dog :)
  • IcassI
    IcassI Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I have a dog blanket over a piece of furniture that my dog likes to get on. It makes it easy for me to clean up, but my dog has short hair so it really doesn't bother me.

And yes, a lot of exercise will tire out the dog. It just depends on the dog's energy level. For my dog, him running next to me while riding a bike will get him tired quickly. Much faster than walking alone.
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I have 2 dogs, large breed and toy breed.

Crating is NOT cruel, actually dogs prefer to have a 'den' they can go to when they want tome alone time. My dog has his own 'room' (it's a storage closet with he door taken off and a 3' high baby gate) when I leave the house, I just say 'go to your room, I have to go out!' and they go to their room. I give them a small treat and they are fine.

Brush every day outside to reduce the hair, and walks for large dogs should be 60 minutes.

Have Fun!
  • nikkiprickett
    nikkiprickett Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Yes, babygates are a wonderful alternative to being caged all day, thank God you don't do that to the poor little bugger! As for the hair-lint rollers (the big ones) are amazing at picking up the hair. that's awesome that you go home to let it out too.
    Walks are good for dogs-they need exercise too :)
    if you do ever have to put him in a cage, make sure it's big enough...I can't stand when people have big/huge or any size dog that they put in a cage four sizes to small and they can barely move/breathe comfortably.
  • brentrhodes
    brentrhodes Posts: 139
    Options
    I know I'll catch some flak about my point of view but I say there are compromises that need to be made in relationships. Why do YOU have to make the compromise? If the dog sheds and jumps on your furniture or you think you may not "gel" with it, I say let someone with a large lot adopt the dog. Your bf can be the one to make the compromise. It's a big dog, he would probably be happier with more room to run anyway.

Ok.....Go! :-)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I know I'll catch some flak about my point of view but I say there are compromises that need to be made in relationships. Why do YOU have to make the compromise? If the dog sheds and jumps on your furniture or you think you may not "gel" with it, I say let someone with a large lot adopt the dog. Your bf can be the one to make the compromise. It's a big dog, he would probably be happier with more room to run anyway.

When I met my partner, he suggested he'd never 'get used' to our dogs' white hair, and that he wasn't a dog person. It was more or less framed in a 'it's the dogs or it's me' kind of way. I made it clear that the dogs were part of me, they were part of the deal, and there was no way our beloved family pets were going anywhere... 3 years later, he's besotted with those dogs.

I don't think what you're suggesting here is 'making a compromise'. It's sacrificing one relationship (the relationship between her partner and his LIVING doggy friend) for the sake of another. No-one should ask someone they love to sacrifice in that way for them, in my opinion.

You also appear to be coming from a worldview that dogs are commodities - things to be picked up and shed like toys or cars. they're not. They're living beings. When you take a dog on, you make a commitment to live with them till they pass on. That's the deal when you get a dog. Any compassionate human being isn't just going to 'get rid' of the dog in the way you suggest. And to be honest, if he were willing to do that, I'd be concerned about how seriously he takes his commitments and his relationships.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I hope you are not a pet owner. There's nothing worse than someone who thinks living creatures are disposable.

Obviously, the OP is fine with the situation, except for wanting to make a few tweaks. You don't want to deal with someone's pet, don't get into a relationship with someone who has a pet. Easy peasy.
  • Bull2707
    Bull2707 Posts: 106
    Options
    6 years ago i went from being single to instant family add water. two kids and two dogs to be added. I was the same way as you! It was a package deal. Now we have the two kids 3 dogs and a rabbit. Love them all
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    A tired dog is a good dog! So yes exercise him. A baby gate is a great idea but the dog may be able to jump it. Get him his own bed. Teach him that is where he is to sleep. Buy a furminator it is an awesome deshedding tool that gets out the dead undercoat, the stuff that sheds. Next if he jumps the baby gate get something called a scat matt. It is a static charged mat that you set on your furniture he jumps up he gets a static shock. I AM NOT CRUEL! This is a training device and DOES NOT cause major harm same as a static shock if you scuff feet and touch a door knob. Both of these things are sold at your local pet store. This is also why I suggested getting him his own bed. Make your furniture unappealing but give him a spot all his own. if you do not like the mat idea I know of some people who put their coffee table upside down on their couch to deter the dog from jumping up.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    When I first got my lab/husky mix (80 lb), I tried to gate him in the kitchen. He ended up eating through the gate and having his way in the house. After some crate training and getting comfortable with my house, he now is free during the day.

As for those who feel that pets are disposible, you clearly have never worked/volunteered in an anima shelter. You can feel the psychological pain that these animals have gone through from physical abuse or psychological neglect and abandonment. My dog was in the local shelter for 53 weeks, confined to his cage. All it took was the right person to come along.

If you see youself not being able to commit full time to a pet, then don't get one. Compromising with someone else's animal is a good thing. The dog will get use to the rules of the roost and will eventually keep off the furniture.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    We have 2 yellow labs, and they shed like crazy. We used to keep them off the couch, and it wasn't easy to train them. They like the couch, being closer to us. It takes time, but they will get it. Be consistent. I wouldn't say "bad dog" when they jump up. I'd say "Bad Couch." They're not being bad, but being on the couch is bad. They will relate the bad to the couch. I say "Bad cat food" when they eat the cat food. They get it. When we got our newest dog, he grabbed something that wasn't his and I just said "That's not your's" and he dropped it. That stuck. Now, whenever either dog takes/eatsgoes near something off limits, we say "That's not your's" and they leave it alone. Good luck! Dogs are so worth it. They give you unconditional love!!
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Yup this is a flak situation. I am a pet person I warned my now husband that I love my pets MORE than I love most humans. Specifically the cat he finds the most annoying. Same cat has caused one divorce, he would work it out if I got rid of my cat. Since my cat's mother had kicked him out long ago and as a feral stray I assumed she was dead and my ex's mommy wanted him home all the time the right choice was to kick out the ex he had a place to go. Now husband was warned that the pets are like my fur children and we are a package deal. To compromise because he is not as much of a fan as animals naturally start to pass we will not be adopting more until we are petless and then it will be one dog and one cat. What he does not know is the dog will be some crazy giant breed and the cat will either be a savannah or a maine coon. I have three cats now at ten pounds a piece seems only fair if I can only have one cat it be a 30lb cat.