Struggling

Options
Hi all

I am about 3 weeks into this program and so far have pretty much been loving it. I not only started to diet and exercise, but quit smoking as well. I lost 4 and 1/2 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I am scheduled to weigh myself again Fri, but have been feeling so good that I decided to weigh myself today. I gained 2 1/2 pounds....how is that even possible. I am exercising everyday, eating under the calorie goal everyday....HELP! Any advice or guidance would be awesome.

thanks
Laurie

Replies

• snazzycee
    snazzycee Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting???? it could be muscle
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    What's your height/weight & how many calories are you eating per day? Do you always weigh at the same time and under the same conditions (i.e. first thing in the morning with nothing on or wearing the same thing, before eating and after using the restroom)? The human body can fluctuate several pounds per day due to things such as what you ate or drank the day before, so it's entirely possible that you're just retaining water.
  • tinabell153
    tinabell153 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are weighing yourself at the same time you did the last time you weighed yourself. Our bodies fluctuate in weight throughout the day due to eating, water, etc. Usually between 1-3lbs. Like MFP says, weigh yourself in the morning before breakfast.

You also could be building muscle or retaining water. Try cutting down on sodium a bit? Maybe that would help.
  • SirBen81
    SirBen81 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I am about 3 weeks into this program and so far have pretty much been loving it. I not only started to diet and exercise, but quit smoking as well. I lost 4 and 1/2 pounds in the first 2 weeks. I am scheduled to weigh myself again Fri, but have been feeling so good that I decided to weigh myself today. I gained 2 1/2 pounds....how is that even possible. I am exercising everyday, eating under the calorie goal everyday....HELP! Any advice or guidance would be awesome.

thanks
    Laurie

Can't really help you unless you open your food diary for us to see.
  • lauriebar
    lauriebar Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Snazzycee - I am not lifting :(

Keegannati - I am 5 foot 7 inches and weigh 216. My calorie goal each day is 1400, but I usually come in around 1200-1300. The other thing that confuses me, is this system tells you you have more calories to eat if you burn calories, but I don't follow that. This morning I weighed myself after working out. I am just frustrated and should not have gotten on the scale.

Thanks for the support. This site is great for that! I am doing the 11 week elimination challenge and don't want to post a gain the first week. Need to work a little harder i guess
  • d2footballJRC
    d2footballJRC Posts: 2,684 Member
    Options
    Are you lifting???? it could be muscle

This is not correct. You wouldn't gain 2.5lbs of muscle like that.

Most likely it's a couple things.

#1. Water Weight
    #2. Food weight.
    #3. glycogen stores in the muscles getting refilled if you ate some carbs yesterday and those stores where low from use.
  • lauriebar
    Options
    D2footballJRC - I can't be food, I am eating under the calorie goal every day and I also have tried to not eat the packaged items to cut down on the sodium. Maybe I am drinking too much water.

BTW - I am happy to share whatever you all need to see. Just friend me! I could use the support :)
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're a woman, where are you in your cycle? Just before and in the early stages of a period, I pick up several pounds, very reliably, and they're very reliably gone by the end of the period.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Keegannati - I am 5 foot 7 inches and weigh 216. My calorie goal each day is 1400, but I usually come in around 1200-1300. The other thing that confuses me, is this system tells you you have more calories to eat if you burn calories, but I don't follow that. This morning I weighed myself after working out. I am just frustrated and should not have gotten on the scale.

Sorry, are you coming in at 1200, and then not eating back exercise calories? If that's all you're eating, and you're working out too, you're likely undereating.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    I weigh in daily and my weight sometimes varies wildly. I have "gained" as much as 4 pounds overnight. In the past 10 days I have a 5 pound range, but from 30 days ago to today I am down 4 pounds, so averaging 1/week, which is what my goals are set for. There are tons of factors that can effect our weight - water, sodium, stress, menses. I don't even know what all. Assuming that you are weighing in at the same time of day (first thing in the morning is best) and in the same clothes or naked, and on point with your calorie counting, it is more likely than not just a fluke. Don't give up! It is unlikely that the number today represents a true gain, and you will probably drop tomorrow or the day after and lose whatever you expect to weekly when that weigh in rolls around.
    Stick with it!!!
  • texaslydia
    Options
    Don't get frustrated. You're going to have weigh-ins when you'll seem to be stuck at a weight or fluctuating up and down. Stick to it! The weight will continue to melt away. Keep up the good work, and good luck!!
  • SgtMindy
    SgtMindy Posts: 53
    Options
    YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Quitting smoking and working on your fitness!! You're my new hero!! Keep up the good work and don't worry about the 2.5 lbs. It's probably just muscle.
  • lauriebar
    Options
    Thanks SgtMindy!!!
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    D2footballJRC - I can't be food, I am eating under the calorie goal every day and I also have tried to not eat the packaged items to cut down on the sodium. Maybe I am drinking too much water.

BTW - I am happy to share whatever you all need to see. Just friend me! I could use the support :)

Not talking about gaining fat but the actual weight of food itself. Example. I EAT A LOT of protein.. That weight is still in my stomach, I may be under calorie goal BUT there is still food weight.. (waste weight would be another way to say it but it doesn't sound as pleasant)
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    YOU ARE AWESOME!!!! Quitting smoking and working on your fitness!! You're my new hero!! Keep up the good work and don't worry about the 2.5 lbs. It's probably just muscle.

If she gained 2.5lbs of muscles in 3 weeks I want some of the steroids or PH she is on. Not doing any favors for people when you are telling them it's muscle. It's impossible at a deficit to gain that type of muscle mass in 3 weeks.

OP you are still awesome and keep at it. Like I said I'd be money it's either water weight, food/waste weight, or g. stores getting filled back up.
  • SusanDoesIt
    SusanDoesIt Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Laurie - you and I weigh about the same. My weight has been up and down and up and down, and I went 5 whole weeks without losing an ounce. Here's what I'd suggest. Look at the makeup of your daily eating. I managed to get my scale moving again by cutting down on carbs...not crazy, no-carb foolishness, but around 100-120g a day. Another thing - I used to do only weekly weigh-ins because I tend to make myself nutty if I see a gain in the middle of the week(!), but I recently started weighing every day, to see what my food from the day before did to my weight (which is how I figured out the carb effect). The daily weigh-in helps, because you start to see the ups/downs and you know that they aren't permanent, but it's just what our bodies do. And the most important thing to do is KEEP doing what you're doing. My loss has been amazingly slow, but here I am about 3 1/2 months in, and have lost about 17 pounds. If I had stopped during my five weeks of no loss, I would've end up gaining it back. Keep taking care of yourself, being healthy, and it will come. This isn't a race...it's the rest of your life. :D
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    Sorry, are you coming in at 1200, and then not eating back exercise calories? If that's all you're eating, and you're working out too, you're likely undereating.
    This is a definite possibility. What do your net calories after exercise look like? bmi-calculator.net says your BMR is 1716.8, so even if you have a sedentary lifestyle you're burning about 2000 calories per day before exercise. So, if you're only eating 1200-1300 calories per day and burning (presumably) 200-300 through exercise, you could be getting too little nutrition, which would cause your metabolism to slow down.
  • d2footballJRC
    Options
    Laurie - you and I weigh about the same. My weight has been up and down and up and down, and I went 5 whole weeks without losing an ounce. Here's what I'd suggest. Look at the makeup of your daily eating. I managed to get my scale moving again by cutting down on carbs...not crazy, no-carb foolishness, but around 100-120g a day. Another thing - I used to do only weekly weigh-ins because I tend to make myself nutty if I see a gain in the middle of the week(!), but I recently started weighing every day, to see what my food from the day before did to my weight (which is how I figured out the carb effect). The daily weigh-in helps, because you start to see the ups/downs and you know that they aren't permanent, but it's just what our bodies do. And the most important thing to do is KEEP doing what you're doing. My loss has been amazingly slow, but here I am about 3 1/2 months in, and have lost about 17 pounds. If I had stopped during my five weeks of no loss, I would've end up gaining it back. Keep taking care of yourself, being healthy, and it will come. This isn't a race...it's the rest of your life. :D

Great post, also remember time that you weigh yourself matters. I'm very OCD about this stuff and I weigh myself several times daily. I have a 4-5 pound swing in how much I weigh during the day. Ex. Yesterday Morning I weighed in at 271.8 pounds, last night after supper I was 274.2 pounds, this morning I was 271.6 pounds. Timing is important as well.
  • lauriebar
    Options
    Thanks all... Great tips - look at my carb and sodium intake and I may need to eat more...who would have thought that :)
  • Gazjam_1985
    Options
    D2 is right, alot of people have the idea that if you gain weight it means you have put on muscle, which is possible but really difficult on calorie deficit and you have said you are not lifting so it CERTAINLY is NOT that.

As others inc D2 have said, likely water weight, I saw you say about cutting down on it - Do not do this, drink plenty and plenty of water it is absolutely key.

Personally I would say dont weigh in too often, like others have said weight really does fluctuate a lot throughout the day, stick to once a week and get a good average, wear the same, do it before breakfast and BEFORE a workout for most accurate idea.

Lastly, dont put your results down solely to the scales. Weight is simply an indication of health and body shape, use the tape measure along side the scales and most likely when you dont see one result you will likely see the other.

If you are in it for the "lifestyle change" then a mid week weigh in really is not a substantial factor, keep going at it and we can all guarantee that after 2 or 3 months (rather than days) you will definitely see the difference in both ways.