Exercise with a sore back

Options
I am wondering if anyone here has experience with this.

I am looking for exercises that I can do with a sore back. My lower back and tailbone have been hurting since I fell about 3 weeks ago. I previously had been a runner and was just getting back into it when this occurred. I was told to make an appointment with a doctor in 4-6 weeks (so about 1 -3 weeks from now) if it doesn't get better with time.

I am fairly young (just turned 31) and about 20-30 pounds overweight. The injury is not bad enough to interfere too much with my everyday stuff. I still walk my dogs for about 30 minutes in the morning but after that my back in HURTING so I feel like I should stay away from jogging/ running. We do not have a gym membership so swimming doesn't seem like an option. Every exercise I can think of seems to be dependent on my back (crunches, weights)....Anyone have any ideas......???

I know I need to go to the doctor if it doesn't get better, I am just looking for ideas until then. I just started losing weight again and it is frustrating to slowly be gaining it back..... and I feel like a blob just sitting around when I'm motivated to exercise.....

Thanks in advance.....

Replies

• js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    Wow, sorry to hear it. Most exercises use your back as it is a support system. Just try and keep your calories in check for the meantime. Hope you feel better soon.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about going to a chiropractor - you may have to ask around your area to find one that isn't a "revolving door" type practice...

If you fell and knocked your hip or your spine out of whack there isn't much a regular Dr. is going to do except try and treat the pain with maybe a steriod shot and some pills...

I had horrible back issues that started in college - I went to a back surgeon and he did a combination of steriod shots and chiropractic - when it flaired back up a few years later i went straight to Chiropractic first - and it worked...I go about every 3 weeks to get adjusted...
  • BoricuaLove25
    BoricuaLove25 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had a car accident and after that i have been on back pain and pain killers. Personal suggestion use a excercise ball. it works like a charm for me. Abs workout, and other comfortable excercise on the ball would make you feel better. i lost 5lb in a week using the ball. Give it a try maybe it would help your back as well. my back feels much better when i use it . Hope you feel better ASAP ;-)
  • thinbride0004
    thinbride0004 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Yeah a chiropractor may be in my future, I'm still hoping that it will clear up by itself. I was told to stay as active as possible so I'm trying.

The exercise ball is a great idea! I'm going to try that. Thanks for the suggestions!