tracking calories burned with strength/weight workouts

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone tracks their strenght training/weight lifting as calories burned in the journal? I wear a heartrate monitor and do cardio first and try for weights twice a week, wondering if I should keep the heart rate monitor on and track the calories I burn while doing strenght/weights? advice anyone?

Replies

• I put my HRM on when I was lifting weights and it didn't show a lot of calories burned because my heart rate wasn't up in the fat burning zone. Now maybe I just wasn't working out hard enough but I didn't find it very accurate personally.

Mark
  • Vanilladays
    Vanilladays Posts: 155 Member
    Hmmm I find this whole thing very confusing. :huh:
    I'm lucky because the program at the gym tracks my 30 minute workout and gives me a calorie burn at the end of it....this is strength and cardio workout combined. I find though if I wear my HRM it tends to be a bit below the gym's figure.
    I'm going with the gym's figure though and I can see the difference in my body so I'm happy :happy:
  • jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    I use my HRM for tracking calories burned during weights, but there's a good chance it'll be somewhat inaccurate due to the spikes and drops in your HR during the active and rest periods of your workout. I use it more as a guideline but generally speaking, I try not to eat back the calories from weight lifting, only the ones from cardio.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    There is "strength training" under the cardio section on here. I find it accurate with my HRM.