BMR and TDEE help

Options
So after being on MFP for a while I have been reading so many posts saying to eat between your BMR and TDEE but Ive been trying to find the numbers and different sites give me different numbers and not too sure what ones to follow.

MFP says BMR is 1419
and another says 1324
and another says 1526

and for my TDEE one site says 2053
one site says 2354

should I go with the lowest numbers, highest or inbetween. this is so confusing.

Ive lost 23 pounds since christmas in total, I started MFP in feb and lost 13 pounds since then.
SW --183
CW--160
Height --5 foot 2
GW---125
I know im undereating even though im not hungry. I would like to fix this though.
My MFP is set to sedentry because when I started I wasnt working out. Now I work out 3-5 times a week about 30-40 mins per day.

any help would be appriciated
TY

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tribbey143
    Tribbey143 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling to figure this out too BUMP I'm going to figure this out today lol after work this is my homework haha :)

25 Years
    Female
    5'2''
    ST: 140
    CW: 131.4
    GW: 125

Right now I'm eating 1,260

I think my BRM is 1,223 (I dont know where I'm getting this number)
    My BMI number is 24 (do we need to know this lol)

HELP
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    bump
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If the lowest is already more than you eat I would go with that, then adjust if needed. If you are currently getting results eating more than the min BMR, then I would go with one that is about where you intake is or even the higher one.

It is essentially all trial and error, eventually you will find something that works for you. but for now choose one stay with it for 3-4 weeks then adjust as necessary at that time.
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Mine were all different too, but not by that much. i chose to use the figures from the Katch-McArdle equation because i had my body fat percentage tested at my gym, so i figured that one would be most accurate.

Mine:

Harris-Benedict........BMR 1450.....TDEE 1994
    Katch-McArdle.........BMR 1342.....TDEE 1845

(i used 1.375 multiplier for both of mine since i work out about 5 days a week)

What i did was take 15% of my TDEE (1845 x 15% = 277) and set my calorie goal at 1570 (1845 - 277 = 1568)

For you, i would choose the lower TDEE figure and go from there................ since you say you don't eat much anyway.
  • erickirb
    Options
    triple post oops
  • erickirb
    Options
    double post
  • MoooveOverFluffy
    MoooveOverFluffy Posts: 398 Member
    Options
  • RahRahRiotSC
    RahRahRiotSC Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Arestoktra
    Options
    bump for later
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Mine were all different too, but not by that much. i chose to use the figures from the Katch-McArdle equation because i had my body fat percentage tested at my gym, so i figured that one would be most accurate.

Mine:

Harris-Benedict........BMR 1450.....TDEE 1994
    Katch-McArdle.........BMR 1342.....TDEE 1845

(i used 1.375 multiplier for both of mine since i work out about 5 days a week)

What i did was take 15% of my TDEE (1845 x 15% = 277) and set my calorie goal at 1570 (1845 - 277 = 1568)

For you, i would choose the lower TDEE figure and go from there................ since you say you don't eat much anyway.

SO using this equation I got 1631. that is way higher than I eat. that is scary. lol
    I guess Ill have to try it out and see what happens.

I will read that article you posted first though.
    TY
  • lin7604
    Options

thx. with that for my goal weight of 125 would be 1500, tdee ( maintenance) would be1875.. so with 1875-20% bring me back to 1500... but if you do the other method of 1875 tdee and minus 500 cals for 1 lb weight loss bring me to 1375.... so should i be eating 1375 net daily?
  • lin7604
    Options
    I'm struggling to figure this out too BUMP I'm going to figure this out today lol after work this is my homework haha :)

25 Years
    Female
    5'2''
    ST: 140
    CW: 131.4
    GW: 125

Right now I'm eating 1,260

I think my BRM is 1,223 (I dont know where I'm getting this number)
    My BMI number is 24 (do we need to know this lol)

HELP
    i hear ya, it's l so confusing with so many different numbers out there. the one time i was steady loosing weight was when i was on 1200 cals. i sine then learned my bmr ( mfp was 1248) so i bumped up my numbers to 1350. now it looks like on these sites my numbers are different... my weigh loss has slowed right down, so not sure if it's the more cals, or b/c i am closer to my goal, or what?

our numbers are pretty similar. i am 5.2 as well , start weight was also 140 and my current weight is bouncing between 129.8-130.6 this week... goal of 125 as well ugw 122 ish.. if i can but won't stress to get to it.
  • julekinz
    julekinz Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    two questions: what is TDEE? and what is BUMP? :smile:
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    two questions: what is TDEE? and what is BUMP? :smile:

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, the amount of cals your body needs to function throughout the day.

and Bump is just to bump up the post to get more answers.
  • mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    TDEE: TDEE is the common abbreviation for Total Daily Energy Expenditure which is a metric to calculate the amount of calories your body needs to function in a day. This is quite similar to BMR; in fact, you need your BMR to calculate your TDEE; but your TDEE accounts for your average daily activity as well to give a figure truer to your specific situation. Basically, the TDEE calculation relies on categorizing your daily activity into one of the metrics' predetermined groupings:

•Sedentary - desk job and little to no exercise
    •Lightly Active - light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk
    •Moderately Active - moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk
    •Very Active - hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk
    •Extremely Active - hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or training
    Once you have determined where you fit in on the TDEE activity rate scale, this activity rate is used to weight your BMR giving you a more accurate assessment of how many calories you really need throughout the course of the day. Since BMR only accounts for your bodies basic functioning needs and not your daily activity, TDEE provides standard multipliers for accurately determining a TDEE. Those multipliers are as follows:
    •Sedentary - 1.2
    •Lightly Active - 1.375
    •Moderately Active - 1.55
    •Very Active - 1.725
    •Extremely Active - 1.9

BUMP just brings this post to the top of the message boards making it easier to find later.
  • lin7604
    Options
    so if i exercise doing a dvd 5-6 days a week for 30 min does that classify as sedentary or lightly active? if that is the only exercise you are pretty much getting...
  • angleu
    angleu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Sedentary is getting no exercise with a desk job. So you are exercising 5-6 days a week
  • Taffyali
    Taffyali Posts: 17
    Options
    Bump :)