Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
Okay, so, yesterday I wanted to try to make chickpea burgers. I mixed:

1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 can bush's blackeye peas, drained and rinsed
Red onions
Garlic cloves
Red peppers
about 1/2 cup panko crumbs

It looks like hummus! It takes awful. I hate to throw it out. I KNOW you smart people can help me salvage this. I refuse to admit defeat!

Replies

• 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Did you try more garlic? Mix in salt, black pepper, some chili powder and cumin.Turn them into a southwest patty!
  • Ahmee2034
    Ahmee2034 Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Actually, I added jalepeno peppers, cayenne pepper, salt. It's just that the consistency is like mush and I think I may just have to add another can of chickpeas and make more burgers...if I can figure out how to get them to the right consistency.:sad:
  • mlmanney
    mlmanney Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    maybe you could add some cooked brown rice?
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    Actually, I added jalepeno peppers, cayenne pepper, salt. It's just that the consistency is like mush and I think I may just have to add another can of chickpeas and make more burgers...if I can figure out how to get them to the right consistency.:sad:

maybe once you do them up on the frying pan they'll firm up.. like a pancake? I dunno...
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    maybe you could add some cooked brown rice?

That's what I would suggest as well... the rice will act as a binder to keep everything together and give it substance.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    chickpeas and mushrooms form a good burger...even with a little bread crumbs. i personally dont like mushrooms, but it tastes awesome in a vegiburger.