BMR vs. TDEE

Options
Hello,

Can someone help me.

I am doing 1200 calories a day. But I see on some other boards here that I should be eating my BMR. (I'm 4'7) Since I am so
short I told MFP that I wanted to lose 1lb a week. Because I am so short, I can only lose 05.lbs a week and it automatically set me to 1200 calories.

BMR is 1329
TDEE is 1595 (someone said here eat 15% less of your TDEE .) That comes out to 1356

(when I figured out my TDEE , I put sedentary because I don't exercise every day) On the days I work out should I eat the
1356 plus my exercise calories.

I am scared to eat more than 1200 calories? Can someone help me with this...
Thanks
Issy

Replies

• dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    That's a common problem for people who only choose Sedentary (like myself). Your deficit will wind up being smaller if you eat at least your BMR. You'll need to add in some exercise to increase the deficit if you want to eat at least your BMR and still lose weight a little faster.

You don't have to eat back all your exercise calories. Just figure out your TDEE for the day (including your exercise), and pick a deficit from there. 500 calories per day is supposed to get you losing around a pound per week, though I'm told it's harder for people who are already very close to their goal weight to get those last few pounds off.
  • knowak82
    knowak82 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I would say give it a try and eat at your BMR, the 1300 calories or so for a few weeks and see how it goes...it may take a few weeks for your body to get used to the extra calories and continue to lose, but it's definitely worth a shot! Being able to eat more in the long run and have a good metabolism is important!

I changed my cals from 1200 to 1500 over the course of about a week and a half (and I plan to eventually go up closer to 1600 or 1700 based on MY BMR and TDEE), and have continued to lose about 1lb a week through the transition and adding the calories. I also picked sendentary for my calculations, so I eat a portion of my exercise calories back...

Good luck, and feel free to add me as a friend--always looking for more friends here on MFP :happy: