Please help...!

Options
Hi folks

I wonder if anyone can help me here.

I'm 32 and female and have lost 44.6lbs in 14 weeks.

I manually set my calorie limit to 1400 and try never to eat more than that each day. On some gyms days (3 times per week) I finish in a calorie deficit. I thought this was the whole idea; to eat as few calories as possible without going hungry but I read a few posts where people say they increase the amount they eat on gym days. I am so confused. I have LOTS of weight to lose and want to do it as quickly as I can through earthy eating and exercise. I'm not starving myself, I don't have the willpower for a start but just don't know what's best.

Please help if you can.

PS- if anyone can shed any light on the abbreviations used on here that'd be great!
Thanks.

L

Replies

• mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I say if its not broken, don't fix it.... keep losing weight (no more than 2lbs a week) and when you stop losing weight, then start changing things. What abbreviations do you need help with. there are lots :)
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    If you are putting in time at the gym, you want to enhance your results with proper diet. While protein is essential to muscle growth and development, it is not the only necessary nutrient for muscle mass gain. Consider the types of food you choose, as well as your meal timing for the greatest results.
    Calorie Intake

Building muscle requires eating a caloric surplus, meaning you eat more calories than you burn during the day. When adding these calories, choose whole, natural foods as often as possible. Adding about 250 to 500 calories per day helps support 1/2 to 1 lb. of muscle growth weekly.
    Protein Needs

The International Society of Sports Nutrition, or ISSN, recommends that athletes consume more than the 0.4 g of protein per pound of body weight daily advised by the Institute of Medicine for the average person. Athletes need between 0.7 and 1 g of protein per pound of body weight, says the ISSN. Strength-training athletes should aim for the higher end of this range. Whole sources of protein, such as lean meats, poultry breast, fish, eggs and dairy are readily digested and used by the body to build muscle. These sources also contain minimal saturated fats, too much of which may cause fat gain and health problems. The occasional use of whey protein, or other protein supplements, may help you get all the protein you need to support your workouts and muscle growth.
    Carbohydrates

Carbohydrates provide fuel for your body to make it through workouts. Carbohydrates are also a source of calories, helping you achieve that surplus to support muscle growth. The body converts carbohydrates into glycogen, which is stored in muscles and affects anabolism -- or muscle growth. "Muscle and Fitness" recommends eating 80 to 100 g of carbohydrates per meal if you weigh more than 200 lbs., or 60 to 80 g per meal if you weigh less. Choose whole grains, vegetables and fruits for these carbohydrates, as they provide the most nutrients and fiber. Oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, leafy greens and apples, for example, are superior to sugary baked goods or white breads and rice for muscle growth.
    Importance of Fat

Consuming an appropriate amount of fat in your diet supports hormone production, which in turn supports muscle growth. Focus on healthy fats, found in plant oils, nuts, avocados and fatty fish. Fats are also calorie-dense, helping you to achieve your calorie surplus to impact muscle growth. The Institute of Medicine recommends you eat between 20 and 35 percent of daily calories from fat.
    Strategies

Divide your daily calorie needs up over the course of five or six meals during the day. This helps you eat all the food you need to build muscle and provides for a constant flow of nutrients to promote muscle growth. A perfect meal, according to body-building champion Mike Francois, might consist of 6 to 8 oz. of chicken breast, 2 cups of brown rice, 1 tbsp. of olive oil and 1 cup of broccoli. Exact serving sizes depend on your particular daily calorie needs. Eating one of your meals around the time of your workout -- half before and half after -- may help accelerate muscle growth, says Dr. Melinda Jampolis, a diet and fitness expert with CN

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/356863-what-food-do-you-eat-when-working-out-to-gain-more-muscle/#ixzz1sPTCPuJ9
  • Lally1980
    Lally1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for replying. You may be right! I just got confused when I read eat more to lose more!?

What do these mean?
    BMR
    TDEE
    NSV

Thanks again x
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    If what you are doing is working, no need to change. Don't get caught up in all the dialogue here on the message boards. There is more than one way to lose weight.
  • kcunningham26
    Options
    By no means am I an expert and I am only two weeks into my journey but I have lost 13 pounds so it seems to be working so far. I have found that I have way more energy and am able to work out more productively if I am eating the calories I need. I may be eating more but I can work out longer and thus burn more calories. With that said, there have been a few days that I was in a calorie deficit and lost weight but when I got to the gym and jumped on the treadmill, I found that I just didnt have the juice to get a productive workout. It was still better than nothing but just not the same.
  • brittany103
    brittany103 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BMR - basal metabolic rate- the number of calories your body will burn if you do nothing all day-
    TDEE- total daily energy expenditure- total calories burned in a day
    NSV- non scale victory
  • Lally1980
    Lally1980 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice folks. I feel more relaxed after reading your posts. I have such a long way to go and really don't want to slow it down if I can help it. I was having 6lb losses some weeks but now I'm lucky to get 3. Hopefully it will balance itself out soon.

Brittany thanks for the explanations. Starting to realise MFP is an American app, Im from Edinburgh - its funny to see the wee differences so far.

I can't wait to feel "normal" rather than the fattest in the room.