cant fuction on the calories recommended

Options
Hello i weigh 145 and ive been eating better for a week now the food recomends 1200 calories daily but i am starving if i only eat that much. i seem to be satisfied with about 400 more than that. And its real hunger not cravings. what should i do?

Replies

• sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I'm at 143 and also supposed to be at 1200 calories. I am having the same struggle you are.

I'm trying to drink a LOT of water and eat every four hours-b-fast, lunch, dinner. I have one snack 2 hrs. after lunch.

It's hard, I know!

Also, be sure you're eating clean-no GMO's, no artificial sweeteners, HFCS!
  • seanwebster
    seanwebster Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Do you have it set for 1 lb/week weight loss, or something higher? You could try changing your goal to slower weight loss, even just temporarily. I eased myself down and it's worked so far.

Just a thought, I'm not a nutritionist, but your hunger might be related to nutrient requirements. Might be you're not getting enough fat, or protein, or too much sugar, not enough iron, etc.

Or maybe it's just that 1200 isn't enough and you need to eat more. Above all listen to your body, it knows what it needs.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Two questions:

1) What are you eating?
    2) How much to do you exercise?
  • n_r_d
    n_r_d Posts: 1
    Options
    On 1200 calories you have to make sure you are eating back whatever calories you burn during the day. When I was at 1290 I was getting muscle aches and was very spacey. I also stalled on my weight loss, so I decided to move up to 1500 calories a day and i feel SO much better and I can exercise harder.
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    What's your TDEE? Figure that out- take 15-20% off and the calories left will be what you should eat every day. With this plan- unless your workout takes you below your BMR, do not eat exercise calories back.

An alternate plan- readjust your settings in MFP. Set for 1lb or .5lbs a week loss, select an activity level that more closely represents your life (most chose sedentary when they truly aren't). Do not eat below your BMR. Your BMR can be found under the Tools tab here on MFP. With this plan- eat your exercise calories back.

Hope this helps :)
  • Drastiic
    Drastiic Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    A safe area to be in would be 20-35% less of your TDEE to lose weight.

Here's a simple calculation.
    Estimated TDEE = Multiply your weight in lbs x 15.
    To lose weight = Subtract 20-35%
    Follow plan for 3 weeks.
    Adjust accordingly.

Example:
    Assuming you're 143 lbs.
    Estimated TDEE = 143 x 15 = 2145
    20% of 2145 = 429 --> 2145-429=1716 (0.86 lbs per week)
    35% of 2145 = 751 --> 2145-751=1394 (1.50 lbs per week)
    In this example to lose weight, eat between 1400-1715 calories.

MFP doesn't use percentages. They base their loss by lbs per week.
    3500 calories = 1 lb. 3500/7 = 500 calories per day
    7000 calories = 2 lb. 7000/7 = 1000 calories per day
    2145-500 = 1645
    2145-1000 = 1145
    As you can tell, using poundages for a person with such a low TDEE wouldn't be a great idea, because a 2 lb loss per week is detrimental for a person with such a low TDEE.

If you had a higher TDEE of 2700, it would be fine to subtract 500-1000 calories per day.
    2700-500=2200
    2700-1000=1700

But a better way, would still be to use the 20-35%.
    20% of 2700 = 540 --> 2700-540=2160 (0.72 lbs per week)
    35% of 2700 = 945 --> 2700-945=1755 (1.25 lbs per week)
    In this example to lose weight, eat between 1750-2150 calories.

****The important thing with all of these calculations is they are estimates.
    ****It doesn't really matter what numbers you pick.
    ****Pick a number and stick with it for 3 weeks.
    ****Based off your RESULTS, either increase or decrease.

****If after 3 weeks, your average weekly fat loss was:
    --Less than 1 lb/wk -->Reduce your calories by 10%
    --1-1.5 lbs/wk --> No Change
    --2+ lbs/wk -->Is there performance loss?-->No (no change), Yes (Increase calories by 10%)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hello i weigh 145 and ive been eating better for a week now the food recomends 1200 calories daily but i am starving if i only eat that much. i seem to be satisfied with about 400 more than that. And its real hunger not cravings. what should i do?

Eat more. Make sure you log exercise and eat the extra calories.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    I weigh more than double you and am close to that daily (I am seeing a nutritionist a doctor and printing journals for them so no bashing the big gal eating low calories please). I am doing this for 6 months at least based on what they have told me. But my food choices are all mine. My diary is open if you want to look. I log every bite and drink.
  • sheschemes
    Options
    I'm just staring week 3 and I sometimes have the same trouble, but I trust my body more than I trust numbers in a program. Some days it's as simple as eating a tablespoon of raisins, or a few peanuts or almonds. Other days I need a sandwich to feel satisfied. Experiment with your diet and find what works for you! It might be good to also take a look at what you're eating and make sure you're hitting all of the nutritional bases.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! i eat healthy bran flakes fruits veggies nuts ect i try and exersize alot but i sit down at least half the day do you think since im new to exersizing its just my body wanting to not lose the weight?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I started out at 154 lbs, and on 1200 cals a week to lose just under a lb a week. And I was starving. Properly, miserably starving. I don't know how people do it long term. I went up to 1360 cals a day after a couple of months and was a lot happier.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary when asking for help.

Eat back your exercise cals.
    Eat lots of veggies.
    Increase fat &/or protein.
    Drink water.
    Eat whole grain starches.
    Eat nuts.
    are you truly hungry or wanting to munch out of habit?
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    You should open your diary when asking for help.

Eat back your exercise cals.
    Eat lots of veggies.
    Increase fat &/or protein.
    Drink water.
    Eat whole grain starches.
    Eat nuts.
    are you truly hungry or wanting to munch out of habit?

I think on 1200 cals, most people are properly hungry. Not wanting to eat from habit.
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    idk how to open my diary and i found that soup helps a bit and is low enough cal
  • chevvy53
    chevvy53 Posts: 44
    Options
    to open your diary go into your privacy settings on your account plus i have been doing mfp since january although it looks like less as I did not log when I was away due to no comp' however I started at losing half a pound a week and it worked I was on 1700 odd calories a day and I have lost so far slowly and have now changed over the last couple weeks to a pound a week . Stay strong it is one of the best places to lose the weight especially with the support all the best
  • mccarol1956
    mccarol1956 Posts: 422 Member
    Options

I second using this!
  • swatkins1c
    Options
    diary open only three days in it though cuz im new but i think im gunna add 250 extra and work my way down
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! i eat healthy bran flakes fruits veggies nuts ect i try and exersize alot but i sit down at least half the day do you think since im new to exersizing its just my body wanting to not lose the weight?
    No.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    diary open only three days in it though cuz im new but i think im gunna add 250 extra and work my way down

You are eating high calorie low nutrient foods all the time. For example:

Lean Cuisine - Pepperoni Pizza, 1 Pizza (170g)
    Replace with:
    1 Whole Wheat Pita, 1/4 C Mozzerella, 1/4c Pizza Sauce, 2c of veggies

Pbj - Pbj, 1 Sandwich
    Replace with:
    Apple and 2tbs Peanut Butter with 1tbs Water (PB and Water for 30 Seconds).