so hungry after Exercise

Options
Hi well have lost 2 stones but have noticed this week am so hungry after exercise in both cardio and after weights

espc after body pump ,started fitness , diet, in jan , never had this before just wondering what is going on !!

thanks for any replies :)

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Your body is needing nourishment. So eat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    thank you what kind of food is best don't wnat to undo all my hard work lol !!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Depends. After I work out, I eat lunch so usually chicken, steak, fish and some vegetables.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Immediately after exercise, you should eat a little something and drink lots of water. Your blood sugar is very low, and you want to raise it. My personal favorite is a banana, since it has sugars that keep the hunger away, starches for a little staying power, and it also adds immediate potassium.

But if you've been doing a lot of weights, your body is probably burning more calories at rest. If you're hungrier ALL DAY, add a couple hundred calories to your daily intake and see if that makes the "hungries" go away.

If you continue building muscle, be prepared for occasional upward adjustments in caloric intake. Increasing your calories will slow down your weight loss, but your real goal is overall health. Building muscle is far better for your overall health than merely losing pounds.
  • bytemeeeeee
    bytemeeeeee Posts: 174
    Options
    Hello,
    The body naturally does an amazing job at balancing calories consumed and calories burned to keep your weight relatively stable daily. Therefore, when you burn more calories from working out, your appetite will trigger you to replace them, meaning you are hungrier than normal because you burned more calories than when you don’t exercise. You are hungry after exercise because you burned the carbohydrate stored in your muscles and liver and it needs to be replaced. You also need protein to build and repair normal muscle damage that occurs during exercise. Within 60 minutes of completing your exercise program, you have a window of opportunity to eat a meal that contains carbohydrate and protein, and fat if you’d like. Research shows that people who eat within that window burn calories and lose weight more effectively than those who don’t. Eat something more substantial than just a small snack.
    I hope this helps,
    Debbie~~:smile:
  • js370
    js370 Posts: 140
    Options
    As everyone has said, you should eat something that includes protein. If you don't have time, then at least have some whey protein plus a glass of water right after. That will hold you for a bit, until you can get some food.
  • SUSIE091
    SUSIE091 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thank you all :) has helped deffo think need up the protein will see how the next 2 weeks go and go from there

thanks again