New lifestyle is bumming me out

Options
I just started a new lifestyle of eating, on doctor recommendation (change to "anti-inflammatory diet," a huge change from low-carb diet i had been on for a year).

I feel so deprived. The amount of carbs i am now eating is positively scary - jumping from like 50 g up to 100 or more...

but this site is really helpful, i'm seeing right away how the exercise factors into the equation. And how hard it is to get that old fiber in... and also seeing that i am really short on protein, which means that my old diet must have been real high on the fat side

i am so bummed out that i can't eat as much cheese as i had grown accustomed to . i think of myself as a cheese gourmet, so i am really suffering. plus, the 2 glasses of merlot aren't helping anything

i'm hoping that this bummed-out phase won't last too long ... meanwhile i am surprised and grateful for the food diary.

feeling sorry for myself - of course, that will change as i experience more success - i'm ever the optimist! :ohwell: :heart: :bigsmile:

Replies

• weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hang in there. It will get easier. I thought I was eating pretty good til I started keeping track and I figured out quickly that I had been fooling myself.

You mentioned anti-inflammatory diet. I HOPE your doctor has put you on to a high quality fish oil supplement. To learn more about how this can help you, I recommend this book:
    "The Omega Rx Zone: The Miracle of the New High-Dose Fish Oil." The author is Dr. Barry Sears, who came up with the Zone Diet, which I am following a modified version of.

I just re read your post, and I am a little concerned that your doctor would encourage carb consumption as a treatment for inflammation, as this contradicts the current science on the subject. I hope your doctor was specific about the KIND of carbs you are consuming.

If you google it, the book is readily available in hardcover or paperback. It is likely you can find a copy locally, unless you live in an area without lots of shopping options.

I have seen firsthand the difference fish oil has made in the health of both my parents and myself. You owe it to yourself to check it out. There is plenty of scientific evidence to support the use of fish oil to help with inflammatory diseases.

Good luck. I looked at your profile and we are about the same age, so I can say, it is never too late to change your life.:bigsmile:
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options
    I am on an anti - inflammatory diet as well, I have RA. It is a huge life change, my doctor sent me to a nutritionist and she has put me on a Gluten Free Wheat Free, dairy Free diet, I do not eat beef or pork I am can eat fish and some chicken (free range) I also take a lot of fish oil and flaxseed oil. I am almost pain free and my doctor has cut back my medication to the lowest dose.

When I switched to Gluten Free Wheat Free I found out it all tasted horrible so I went back to school at the Culinary Institute and took classes and I am now a Gluten Free Wheat Free baker. What a difference it makes.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and beans and tofu.

You will feel so much better after you get used to it. One day at a time You can do it!!

Good Luck
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I am on an anti - inflammatory diet as well, I have RA. It is a huge life change, my doctor sent me to a nutritionist and she has put me on a Gluten Free Wheat Free, dairy Free diet, I do not eat beef or pork I am can eat fish and some chicken (free range) I also take a lot of fish oil and flaxseed oil. I am almost pain free and my doctor has cut back my medication to the lowest dose.

When I switched to Gluten Free Wheat Free I found out it all tasted horrible so I went back to school at the Culinary Institute and took classes and I am now a Gluten Free Wheat Free baker. What a difference it makes.

I eat a lot of fruits and veggies, and beans and tofu.

You will feel so much better after you get used to it. One day at a time You can do it!!

Good Luck

What a way to take control of your body!!!!!!!!!!!! I love to hear when people educate themselves for the better........I am so impressed by your will........

sorry just had to say.
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    Options

What a way to take control of your body!!!!!!!!!!!! I love to hear when people educate themselves for the better........I am so impressed by your will........

sorry just had to say.

Thank You!! It was a hard in the begining, now to get the weight gained from all the past meds off and I will be great!! One step at a time.
  • nenemom
    nenemom Posts: 12
    Options
    thank you so much for your encouraging comments

over the years i have heard so much about wheat/gluten being the culprit for such a wide variety of problems - i have suspected it has been a problem for me too - my doctor recommended staying away from wheat "unless i can see chunks in it" -by which i think he meant like, seeds, sprouts, bran flakes or what have you - in other words, not the highly processed, bogus "wheat" breads that advertise themselves as good for you... i always remind my 13-year-old that "white" and "wheat" breads are both from highly processed junk, despite the titles.

Also, weaklink, thanks for your comment - my doctor did not specifically recommend carbs - he was focusing on high quality proteins - actually it is this site that prescribed what struck me as a horrifying level of carbs...

Also, I will order the Omega Rx zone book tonight (I do indeed live in an area with limited shopping options - rural minnesota). My doctor emphasized the importance of fish oil - and he uses Coromega, which I found in the health section of my grocery store (to my amazement). Gotta love Amazon.com!

I actually am glad I can have beans again (including soy/tofu) - i had really missed that over the past year on Atkins. I am eating beans as snacks and loving it.

I definitely feel this as a major life change but your support makes me feel like a) I can do it and b) it is worth it.

Love you all.