Diet Rumors Squasjed by HG (Hungry Girl)

Options
Rumor #1: By not eating after a certain time of night (for example, 8:00), you'll lose weight.

The Truth: By not eating after a certain time, there is a chance you might lose some weight. But it's not the time cut-off that will rid you of the pounds. Calories count. And whether you eat them at 9 a.m. or 9 p.m., a calorie is still a calorie. However, if you give yourself fewer chewing hours, you'll likely take in fewer calories and have more active hours to burn them off. This is especially helpful for late-night snack addicts. A lot of people eat GREAT during the day, then pig out on chips, ice cream, brownies, etc. at 9 or 10PM. Eeeks! If this sounds familiar, a cut-off time for eating might be helpful to you.

Rumor #2: As long as something is fat free or low in carbs, you can eat as much of it as you want.

The Truth: No, no, NO! We know tons of people (literally, TONS) who have gained weight by chowing down on everything with a low fat or low carb label -- because they simply ate too much. When it comes to weight loss, calories count. (Do we sound like a broken record yet?) Many low fat and low carb products are chock-full of calories. You MUST watch your portions and read labels carefully. Seeing the words "Fat Free" or "Low Carb" is no excuse to devour an entire bag of pretzels or chew a whole pan of bacon.

Rumor #3: Negative calorie foods make you lose weight.

The Truth: Negative calorie foods are foods that supposedly contain fewer calories than the amount your body would burn to digest them. Apples, celery, carrots, asparagus, cantaloupe, broccoli and blueberries are just a few of these so-called negative calorie foods. So, is the rumor true? Should you be filling your shopping cart with apples and asparagus? Well, there is no conclusive proof that negative calorie foods make you lose weight. Still, you can be certain that these "negative calorie" foods won't hurt your diet. All of them are nutritious, low fat and low cal. So why not add some of these health-protecting foods into your meal plan? If it turns out that these negative calorie foods do aid in weight loss, that would just be icing on the cake (which, unfortunately, is NOT a negative calorie food).

Rumor #4: Margarine is better for you than real butter.

The Truth: This myth is absolutely false. Most margarine has just as much fat and just as many calories as regular butter. And margarine also packs in oodles of heart-clogging trans fats. While butter, with all its saturated fat, is far from good for you, margarine, with all it's trans fats, is even worse. HG Tip: Try Land O' Lakes Light Whipped Butter. It has just 35 calories and 3.5 grams of fat per tablespoon, and it's delicious!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=444

Replies

• Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Rumor #1: By not eating after a certain time of night (for example, 8:00), you'll lose weight.

The Truth: By not eating after a certain time, there is a chance you might lose some weight. But it's not the time cut-off that will rid you of the pounds. Calories count. And whether you eat them at 9 a.m. or 9 p.m., a calorie is still a calorie. However, if you give yourself fewer chewing hours, you'll likely take in fewer calories and have more active hours to burn them off. This is especially helpful for late-night snack addicts. A lot of people eat GREAT during the day, then pig out on chips, ice cream, brownies, etc. at 9 or 10PM. Eeeks! If this sounds familiar, a cut-off time for eating might be helpful to you.

Rumor #2: As long as something is fat free or low in carbs, you can eat as much of it as you want.

The Truth: No, no, NO! We know tons of people (literally, TONS) who have gained weight by chowing down on everything with a low fat or low carb label -- because they simply ate too much. When it comes to weight loss, calories count. (Do we sound like a broken record yet?) Many low fat and low carb products are chock-full of calories. You MUST watch your portions and read labels carefully. Seeing the words "Fat Free" or "Low Carb" is no excuse to devour an entire bag of pretzels or chew a whole pan of bacon.

Rumor #3: Negative calorie foods make you lose weight.

The Truth: Negative calorie foods are foods that supposedly contain fewer calories than the amount your body would burn to digest them. Apples, celery, carrots, asparagus, cantaloupe, broccoli and blueberries are just a few of these so-called negative calorie foods. So, is the rumor true? Should you be filling your shopping cart with apples and asparagus? Well, there is no conclusive proof that negative calorie foods make you lose weight. Still, you can be certain that these "negative calorie" foods won't hurt your diet. All of them are nutritious, low fat and low cal. So why not add some of these health-protecting foods into your meal plan? If it turns out that these negative calorie foods do aid in weight loss, that would just be icing on the cake (which, unfortunately, is NOT a negative calorie food).

Rumor #4: Margarine is better for you than real butter.

The Truth: This myth is absolutely false. Most margarine has just as much fat and just as many calories as regular butter. And margarine also packs in oodles of heart-clogging trans fats. While butter, with all its saturated fat, is far from good for you, margarine, with all it's trans fats, is even worse. HG Tip: Try Land O' Lakes Light Whipped Butter. It has just 35 calories and 3.5 grams of fat per tablespoon, and it's delicious!

http://www.hungry-girl.com/girls/biteoutdetails.php?isid=444
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    I work midnights and sleep about five hours a day. I eat from 1200-1200 every four to six hours all day all night. I reached my goal in December and am still maintaining with no weight gain. Dispel the myth of late night eating!!!!!:happy:
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm a late night eater too!
    No worries:bigsmile:

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I work midnights and sleep about five hours a day. I eat from 1200-1200 every four to six hours all day all night. I reached my goal in December and am still maintaining with no weight gain. Dispel the myth of late night eating!!!!!:happy:

Well, you don't fit in with the myth because you work before/during this late night eating. Most people think that if you eat a snack at like 9pm and go to bed at 10pm you'll gain weight. It's because you're sleeping and not "doing anything". For us, (As I work midnights too) the myth would be if you eat at 6am before going to bed at 7am. Haha. Oh well.
  • deanea
    Options

Well, you don't fit in with the myth because you work before/during this late night eating. Most people think that if you eat a snack at like 9pm and go to bed at 10pm you'll gain weight. It's because you're sleeping and not "doing anything". For us, (As I work midnights too) the myth would be if you eat at 6am before going to bed at 7am. Haha. Oh well.

Nope, I eat breakfast 300-400cals when I get home at 7:30am and I'm asleep by 8:15am and up at 1:15 with a snack shortly after that and eating all the way until my next shift at 11pm, still no gaining.
  • raincloud
    raincloud Posts: 405 Member
    Options

Nope, I eat breakfast 300-400cals when I get home at 7:30am and I'm asleep by 8:15am and up at 1:15 with a snack shortly after that and eating all the way until my next shift at 11pm, still no gaining.

Wow! You don't eat while working? That's the only time I eat really. Haha. I work 10 hour shifts. So I eat "dinner" at 7pm before work, then I eat again at 1am and get home by 7. Generally I don't eat any other time. However, since starting this diet this week it'll change (I've been off this week).
  • ConnieLynn
    ConnieLynn Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    On the topic of Butter Vs. Margarine, Margarine is better for you, but you need to choose the right one.

From a Doctor at Mayo Clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/butter-vs-margarine/AN00835

Which is better for my heart — butter or margarine?
    Mayo Clinic cardiologist Martha Grogan, M.D., and colleagues answer select questions from readers.
    Answer: Margarine usually tops butter when it comes to heart health.

Margarine is made from vegetable oils, so it contains no cholesterol. Margarine is also higher in "good" fats — polyunsaturated and monounsaturated — than butter is. These types of fat help reduce low-density lipoprotein (LDL), or "bad," cholesterol, when substituted for saturated fat. Butter, on the other hand, is made from animal fat, so it contains cholesterol and high levels of saturated fat.

But not all margarines are created equal — and some may even be worse than butter. Most margarines are processed using a method called hydrogenation, which adds unhealthy trans fats. In general, the more solid the margarine, the more trans fats it contains — so stick margarines usually have more trans fats than do tub margarines. Like saturated fats, trans fats increase blood cholesterol and the risk of heart disease. In addition, trans fats can lower high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol levels.

When choosing a margarine, try to find one with the lowest trans fat content possible and less than 3 grams total of saturated plus trans fats. Manufacturers are now required to list saturated and trans fats separately on food labels.

There are also spreads — such as Benecol and Take Control — that contain phytosterols, natural plant compounds that have been shown to reduce LDL cholesterol levels by 6 percent to 15 percent when eaten in recommended amounts.

I trust the cardiologist on this one.

Connie Lynn
  • deanea
    Options

Wow! You don't eat while working? That's the only time I eat really. Haha. I work 10 hour shifts. So I eat "dinner" at 7pm before work, then I eat again at 1am and get home by 7. Generally I don't eat any other time. However, since starting this diet this week it'll change (I've been off this week).

I eat while working, I eat every 4-5 hours all day and all night. Everybody has do do what works for them, I started counting calories because I was gaining weight when I started midnights last year, and what worked for me was changing my diet to eating all day and all night on a 24 hour clock.