Lactose intolerant???

Options
borjanap
borjanap Posts: 232 Member
So how do you know if you are lactose intolerant? If I eat any dairy product I get extremely bloated(my midsection expands by 3or so inches:noway: ) and become gassy :blushing: . Does this mean that I should go to a doctor and get diagnosed? How do they figure it out?

Replies

• Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I have been lactose intolerant all my life. That is how I feel if I eat dairy. I would suggest talking to someone about it.
  • christahollis
    Options
    Sounds like you've already figured it out...so...you're good. No need to pay a co-pay for an MD to tell you the same thing.
  • lynniejones
    lynniejones Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Mine is getting worse. I didn't have to go to the doctor. Abstain from dairy for a while, then give it a try and see.. it makes me miserable and has moved on to more than bloating and gas. I've sworn off of dairy, I can't take the cramps and misery. Lactaid no longer works for me.
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Sounds like lactose intolerant to me. Try lactaid & see if that helps. There is also a natural diary digestive enzyme that helps if you chew it up with the first bite (I love ice cream but the only thing that doesn't kill me is sherbet - unless I eat that enzyme pill - can't remember the name of it, but I'll try to find out for you).

I'm not sure mine is lactose intolerant though, because I've even tried soy milk recently & it's not even supposed to have any lactose in it, and it just about killed me too. The only thing that doesn't bother me is cheese *thank goodness!

good luck with it
  • prinsezk
    prinsezk Posts: 7
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I am going to try not to eat dairy for at least a week or two to see if I feel better.
    The problem with me is that I love cheese and ice cream.. its going to be really hard.
  • pinkhuntinggirl13
    Options
    I have been diagnosed lactose intolerant by the doctor. I described my symptoms to her (gas, stomach pain, etc.) and she referred me to have a lactose test (which is horrible, but doable) and then she found that I am in fact lactose intolerant (when they test for lactose they also test for gluten intolerance). Nowadays, it's fairly easy to avoid dairy products with such a wide selection of non-dairy products available. There is lactose free sour cream, milk. Soy cheese, yogurt (which is actually pretty good...the cheese not so much). Goat products are also lactose free, I LOVE feta and goat cheeses so that's perfect for me but I've never tried goat milk. Of course, there's also lactaid available in a large variety of sizes. No name products work just as well but are about half the price. Because I have such a severe intolerance I have to take 3 Ultra (9000 unit) pills each and every time. However when I started it wasn't too bad and I only had to take one 1500 unit. Do NOT take more than 3 Ultra pills at one time, if you've worked up to that and it's still a problem then you need to cut dairy from your diet. Any questions, just send me a message!