Couch 2 5k and hip pain

Options
BAtobe
BAtobe Posts: 93 Member
I am doing C25k and my runs are outdoors. I KNOW that I need to invest in some running shoes as I researched and discovered I have supination or underpronation (is that the right word?) but financially new shoes arent an option at this moment. On my run the day before yesterday my right hip joint started to get sore. Yesterday I rested and it was fine but I woke up this morning and felt some soreness again. I went ahead and ran anyways and now it's very sore. I DO NOT want to stop c25k. Advice please? I am seriously disappointed and will do whatever I can to continue with c25k until the end and it's frustrating to have pain physically and want to keep going mentally.

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Where exactly do you feel this pain? Pain in the hip joint would actually be felt in the pelvic area. I suspect you are talking about the outside of the hip, which could likely be IT Band pain that is a result of not having the right shoes. Give a little more info and let's see what we can figure out.
  • BAtobe
    Options
    Where exactly do you feel this pain? Pain in the hip joint would actually be felt in the pelvic area. I suspect you are talking about the outside of the hip, which could likely be IT Band pain that is a result of not having the right shoes. Give a little more info and let's see what we can figure out.

You are exactly right. I feel this pain on the outside of my hip and slightly in that butt cheek, almost like a sore muscle. No pelvic pain at all.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I'd throw a couple extra bucks in the cookie jar so you can get fitted for shoes to make sure you are in the right ones. In the meantime, do a search for IT Band stretches and start incorporating some of those. If it get's worse, you may start to feel the pain on the outside bottom of the knee as well.

Start there and see if it improves.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Is it possibly your sacroiliac joint? Or is it even more to the outside?
  • BAtobe
    Options
    I'd throw a couple extra bucks in the cookie jar so you can get fitted for shoes to make sure you are in the right ones. In the meantime, do a search for IT Band stretches and start incorporating some of those. If it get's worse, you may start to feel the pain on the outside bottom of the knee as well.

Start there and see if it improves.

Awesome! You are spot on I am pretty sure. Working on those shoes ASAP!
  • BAtobe
    Options
    Is it possibly your sacroiliac joint? Or is it even more to the outside?

Do it's more on the outside. Thanks for taking the time to respond though. :smile: