Sciatica

Options
ATK57
ATK57 Posts: 302 Member
Anyone on here suffering from sciatica? What do you do for some pain relief?

Replies

• Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Ice and ibuprofen help me. When it gets bad I also see an Osteopath.
  • ATK57
    Options
    Thanks. Ice has been helping me as well.
  • ickarusx
    ickarusx Posts: 8
    Options
    try to Ignore the pain if you can, that's what I used to do.
  • ATK57
    Options

Yeah, I try not to let it bother me. It comes and goes.
  • laceyvl12
    Options
    ibuprofen and stretching
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    *bump*

My right hip's been angry off and on lately. Gets to where I can't sleep on it. :frown:
  • jsapninz
    jsapninz Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    my mom goes to the chiropractor
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options

Yeah, I try not to let it bother me. It comes and goes.

Same here.

Been dealin with it for 4 years.
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Go to a massage therapist who does sports massage. They can work out the pain and help with stretching out the muscles.
  • mariacolumbus
    mariacolumbus Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    would stretching and maybe some light yoga help?
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    *bump*

My right hip's been angry off and on lately. Gets to where I can't sleep on it. :frown:

oh yea I cant sleep on mine at all.

When i was in labor they tried to put me on my Right side bcuz that was the only side they could find the babys heartbeat....
    Ohhh no, it hurt worst then labor pains!!

It has gotten easier to deal with in time tho...
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I thought I had sciatica and finally asked a professional who termed it trochanteric bursitis. Tight tendons in my hit causing the fluid sacs in my hip to get inflamed. I get a standing desk at work since I have a desk job. Stretch a lot. 20 min of ice after a workout. Ibuprofen didn't help much so I was on 1000mg of naproxin sodium (Aleve) for a few weeks.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    I can relate. I've had some chronic right-side sciatica for awhile. Since I've been rowing for a few weeks, it seems to be getting better. Maybe some strengthening exercises for your low back?
  • AmyW4225
    AmyW4225 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My doctor prescribed me Flexeril(muscle relaxer). I take that and I do a weird stretch, I lay on the couch, head on the floor, and pull my knees behind my head. I also get on my hands and knees and try to stretch as much as I can. Then, I lay on a heating pad. It usually feels better the next day. I don't think Sciatica is a pain that I could ignore, it is very PAINFUL!
  • rjo921
    rjo921 Posts: 130
    Options
    would stretching and maybe some light yoga help?

I would not ignore pain...take it from someone who has had two back surgeries. Stretching, an OTC pain reliever, and yoga will definately help!
  • wendywwhite
    wendywwhite Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I've had it for about 6 years too - comes and goes depending mostly on my own workout routine (or lack thereof). Mine is caused by piriformis syndrome http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piriformis_syndrome

Ice is great, but make sure you do good piriformis stretches always after exercise and after sitting for any length of time, really work to strengthen your glutes, and if you can, have your gait checked to see that you are not over-pronating on that side. I also found that my SI joint locks up and when I see a chiropractor I get a LOT of relief from having that worked on.

Clearly I have too much experience with this one...good luck.
  • steffihoney
    steffihoney Posts: 392
    Options
    My sciatica was pinched really bad. My pain relief was surgery in January!!!

But seriously, before that, my back dr. recommended heating pads. Felt really good. Also, lots of walking. It helps to get the back joints loose. Usually sciatica pain is something pressing on the sciatica nerve. You should get it checked out, because it can be more serious than you know.

Good luck!
  • ATK57
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I tried strengthening it, but yesterday I went a little heavy with "good mornings" and the pain came back. Ibuprofen does not really help much.

Regarding yoga... Anyone know of any good yoga stretches for this problem? I do stretch my hamstrings as they are unbelievably tight...
  • leahsevilla
    leahsevilla Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I had sciatica for about 5 years, in both legs due to herniated discs in my L4-L5. If yours is because of herniated discs I'd check out having a selective nerve root block. i've had 4 of them over the years, and they are magic. seriously...i had intense intense pain for years and then one of these took it ALL AWAY within 2 days. it didn't return for a year, in the other leg and then again a few years later after a car crash.

it was the best thing i ever did! check it out!
  • ATK57
    Options
    Hey there, I had sciatica for about 5 years, in both legs due to herniated discs in my L4-L5. If yours is because of herniated discs I'd check out having a selective nerve root block. i've had 4 of them over the years, and they are magic. seriously...i had intense intense pain for years and then one of these took it ALL AWAY within 2 days. it didn't return for a year, in the other leg and then again a few years later after a car crash.

it was the best thing i ever did! check it out!

Mine is from a herniated L4-L5 as well! I'll definitely check out the nerve root block! Thanks.