Basketball Calories?

Options
Does anybody know how to log a half court game? I'm looking to see what a half court game for an hour would burn. I can't help but think my heart rate monitor through Nike+ is being too generous.

It says I burned 700 calories during an hour of half court basketball. That just seems too good to be true!

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    If it's an intense game, I could see that, but you'd have to be running almost all the time for that. On the elliptical, it takes me 45 minutes at the top of the cardio range to burn 700 calories. But half-court uses more muscles when you are actually playing, and probably pumps your heart up above cardio range frequently, so it's probably closer to interval training or something.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    I think it might be right if your playing the whole time with reasonable intensity. I play wheelchair BB and compared with swimming or handbiking where I can burn about 300 cal in 30 mins I think I an intense bb game would burn more. I log it as what MFP states but adjust the time I put in, so if we have a less intense training session I log it as shorter than it actually was.
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    Thank You ! I usually just reduce the time to play it safe. So if i play for an hour, I'll just log it as 30 minutes Thanks for the support.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    No full court and half court are totally different. You don't have the full court sprints in half court. It's just lateral movements and may only spring to save balls from going out and to drive the lane.

Use this site below and try to set the MFP full court to be in sync with this below's site:
    http://www.dietbites.com/Pyramid-Diet/calories-burned-basketball.html
  • mecmic
    mecmic Posts: 45
    Options
    No full court and half court are totally different. You don't have the full court sprints in half court. It's just lateral movements and may only spring to save balls from going out and to drive the lane.

Use this site below and try to set the MFP full court to be in sync with this below's site:
    http://www.dietbites.com/Pyramid-Diet/calories-burned-basketball.html

Wow , This will come in Handy , Thanks !
  • djsupreme6
    djsupreme6 Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    Does anybody know how to log a half court game? I'm looking to see what a half court game for an hour would burn. I can't help but think my heart rate monitor through Nike+ is being too generous.

It says I burned 700 calories during an hour of half court basketball. That just seems too good to be true!

i wear my hrm playing and according to how long...its probably dead on...i play for 90 mins or so and burn 1300 at least
  • istalkzombies
    istalkzombies Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    sounds about right to me!