Embarrasing problems whilst running

Options
I have been running now for around 2 months. Not every day once or twice a week. Today I went with a friend who has been helping me improve (he's better than me and we have both seen an improvement in my running, stamina and fitness).

I have been going every week with my friend and once on my own in between. Anyway, today I was very eager for a run despite the rain and we were off on a decent pace, slightly quicker than usual but I had a decent control of my breathing until I hit around 3K. All of a sudden I got real bad stomach cramp and I thought the heavens would open down below. I don't think I need to tell you what the pain was. Unfortunately, we were in the middle of a field with no toilets around so started to walk as I felt the impact would continue to shake my insides up. I was really disappointment as I had loads of energy left and I got my breath back very quickly so I obviously had lots more go but the pain was very intense and I was scared of having an accident mid way around a field. After another kilometer we got to the main road and there was a KFC so I said I would do the business and we should be able to run the rest of the way. The same pain came on again after that. I can hack stitch and an aching back and my feet feeling like they would drop off but that was worrying because of the embarrassment.

Any idea what caused this. A similar incident happened at the gym a while back but luckily I was at the gym and they had toilets. Again that was running but on the treadmill.

I feel so disappointed with the whole scenario as I am clearly improving and I don't feel like I had over done it. One thing different about today is that I have eaten bread for the first time in a while. Not just 2 slices either. I had some for my breakfast and then I went to my Mum and Dads and had a sandwich there. Am I correct in thinking that bread can play havoc with your digestive system?

Replies

• WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Iam going to have to say it was probably something you ate. You could also possibly have IBS if this is a re-occuring problem. Good luck.
  • SFalconStorm
    SFalconStorm Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It could be a food allergy of some sort. Wouldn't hurt to talk to a doctor about it.

It always seems to me like exercise can speed up bodily systems. Like, your blood gets to pumping and everything gets over excited...including your gut. Lol.
  • rcc1988
    rcc1988 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Runner's diarrhea is actually quite common.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Giving up any food for a while and then adding it back can play havoc with your digestion.

It could also be that you are sensitive to gluten and your body had learned to deal with it (not uncommon with food intollerance), but after doing without it for a while your body might have to learn to deal with it again.
  • Becky_Boodle
    Becky_Boodle Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I agree...it was probably something you ate...
    that's why I prefer to run on an empty stomach
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Is it possible you have an intolerance to gluten? That's what it sounds like to me.
  • cam_l20
    cam_l20 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    This is quite a common problem - I experienced it myself a few times quite recently as I started doing distance-based runs rather than timed intervals. To start with it was just a bit of an annoyance, but then I had an experience like the one you described above and I was feeling ill for the best part of a day afterwards. Google "runner's trots" and you'll get loads of info.

I now make sure I am well hydrated before I run and I usually eat a banana or something a little bit before I set out. Not had any problems since I started doing this *touch wood*
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I'm allergic to gluten and that sounds like what would happen if I had bread.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Running diarrhea?

Yup. Totally using that as an excuse for why I don't run.
  • angng
    angng Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Google the "runner's trots." Common problem. I really can't eat before I run at all. . .and I always take immodium before a long run.
  • SinkTheBismarck
    Options
    Maybe it was just gas? :I
  • Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    The runners trots! Not had it full on but yeah had the crampy belly and had to cut a run short. I need to ensure I am....... Empty....... Before I go for a run!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Taking a TUMS before you run can help with any tummy issues. :flowerforyou:

I take one or two before a organized run just to settle things down.
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I fart a lot when I jog. Well, there are days when I do and days when I don't. Actualy I think it's hilarious. But not so funny when I have to stop jogging cuz I hafta poo.

Consider experiementing with your eating/exercising routines. Like, don't eat OR DRINK anything for 2 hours before you run, see if that helps. Or drink a ton of water first thing every morning and get comfy on the toilet with a magazine so you can get it all out. Assuming it's not a food allergy or a stomach bug, you may need to check your fiber levels-- both soluble and non-soluble-- and maybe get those bowels regular.

Maybe that sounds crazy. But you could always see a doctor.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Runner's diarrhea is actually quite common.

It is. I had to really try a variety of pre-run foods before I found what works for me that doesn't make me need to head for the bathroom. A food allergy is possible as well, so try different pre-run snacks/meals until you find something that works for you. In the afternoons, I have a small apple and a small piece of chicken, and if it's a morning run, I'll have half a bagel with peanut butter and a couple slices of turkey bacon (I wait about an hour between eating and running). Oh, and use the bathroom before you go just in case :) Good luck!
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    If I don't make sure I've taken care of business before I run or even before I start into my exercise routine, I definitely have to stop for a break. I now make sure I go first; exercise seems to make my circulation better and it forces all the waste right out of the system.
  • ToBeSmaller
    Options
    Running diarrhea?

Yup. Totally using that as an excuse for why I don't run.

LMAO...!

OP - sorry to hear of your issue. I've recently discovered running myself and have encountered a few annoyances but nothing as severe as this. Good luck
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Yeah, had this feeling a couple of times - just make sure you allow enough time between eating and running (or poop before you go ;) )