Healthy sauce/dressing for salads and veg.

Options
Eating more salads and veg now but I'm struggling to find a sauce or dressing to go with it. I can eat them as is but its very plain and I'd lose interest pretty quick so I currently use a bit of store bought salad dressing.

Anyone have any healthy recipies for sauces or dressing or anything store bought you have found thats good ?

Replies

• 2wiceOver
    2wiceOver Posts: 38
    Options
    Ken's Lite Caesar or Ken's Honey Dijon. I alternate.
  • researcher
    researcher Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to mix a teaspoon of mustard into about 3 tablespoon of fat free natural yogurt, add a tablespoon of white wine vinegar and salt and pepper. This is a great little dressing that can be altered with the addition of whatever herbs, spices, garlic, chilli you prefer - even a little honey or sweetener. I particularly like this on a simple apple, radish and celery salad.
  • 10KEyes
    10KEyes Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I keep it clean, Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Red Wine Vinegar with Roasted Garlic.
  • TheLongRunner
    TheLongRunner Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with the Light Asian Toasted Sesame by Kraft. It is so good.
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    Extra Virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice? Or balsamic vinegar?
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Asian dressing without oil: 3 tbsp rice vinegar; 2 tbsp soy sauce; 1 tbsp agave nectar; 1 clove garlic minced; 1 tsp minced fresh ginger. Sweet & yummy!:smile:
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    The Paul Newman stuff is generally pretty tasty, but somewhat expensive.
    Good olive oil and vinegar (or sometimes just vinegar) works pretty well for me in a pinch.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I use fresh salsa.
  • missyee
    missyee Posts: 2
    Options
    I love fresh strawberries with balsamic vinegar. I place the strawberries in the vinegar and use a small food processor to mix well. If you let it set overnight it is great.

Also there is a company with a zero calorie food called Walden Farms. I hear rumor their products are great. Im waiting to get to the store to try a few.
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Extra Virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon or lime juice? Or balsamic vinegar?

This is what I do. As a variation, I recently made a strawberry basil syrup and have been mixing it with olive oil and balsamic-- so good on a strawberry goat cheese salad.
  • baker841
    baker841 Posts: 1
    Options
    Yes, Newman's Own honey mustard... gives you the taste you like, but not the fat!
  • amirabella
    Options
    I am obsessed with the Light Asian Toasted Sesame by Kraft. It is so good.

Me too! This stuff is amazing. Only 50 calories in 2 tbsp.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    Bumping for ideas...

: ))
  • ChantelleFowler
    ChantelleFowler Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar or lemon juice! Yum!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Another thing I do (this is more of a sauce/dip but could be used on a salad with a hearty lettuce): mix plain yogurt with some tahini and za'atar (add a bit of lemon juice and/or olive oil if you think it needs it).
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite salad! I eat it all the time! All the flavors mix together so well and it's just heaven!

3 cups fresh baby spinach
    1/2 cup sliced fresh strawberries
    1/4 cup sliced honey-roasted almonds

Dressing: (Mix in a cup with a lid so you can shake it all up and mix it well.)
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 tablespoon honey
    1 1/2 teaspoons sugar (I use Splenda)
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I use fresh salsa.

Me too! i especially like salasa mixed with a little plain greek yogurt. I also use straight balsamic vinegar.
  • aejbx4x7s
    aejbx4x7s Posts: 111
    Options
    I just use about a tablespoon of balsamic vinegar and half a tablespoon of olive oil. I also like Annie's dressings; they're organic, cheap, and full of good ingredients. Many of them are VERY low cal, also.
  • loasface
    loasface Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Bolthouse farms Yogurt Dressing - it's SO delicious (especially the honey mustard) and it's about 40 calories in 2 teaspoons and is all natural with no preservatives, and, well, try it out and see for yourself!!! it's a great healthy alternative =]
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I like the Eating Right salad dressing sprays from Safeway, They are really light but have strong flavours.
    I love the Asian one, it is something like 10 calories, 1 carb and, 0 fat for 10 sprays.