What kind/brand of dark chocolate?

What is the best kind/brand of dark chocolate do you recommend I start adding into my diary? Need to find one that is not very expensive but gives me the benefits of dark chocolate and NOT too many calories. Thanks!

Replies

• PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    No matter the brand, the percentage of cocoa will determine the calories.
    Take a 70-80% dark chocolate (Maybe Nestle, or Carte d'Or (great french brand)), and voila.
    What benefits are you reffering too ?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-5-best-dark-chocolate-bars-in-the-world/#axzz1sQPbd0o5
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    Just read an article about how it "may" help with curbing your appitite and the antioxidents associated with it are suppose to be good... of course I foget where I read that or I would post it here...sorry... but I love chocolate and usually don't allow many "sweet, savory, how so bad for you" candies into my daily diary BUT SOME DAYS.. well I just have to.. like today! So remember other posting things about dark chocolate so think I may give it try.
  • My favorite is Chocolove Extra Strong Dark Chocolate (77% Cacao) but its not easy to find. Probably in Whole Foods and similar stores but haven't seen it elsewhere. It is sooooooo yummy though. One serving is 6 squares (1/3 bar) and that's 170 cal / 13g fat. I usually only eat half of that though.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    If you like them, you can eat them everyday. Just reserve a *slot* on your diary for such.
    I love the small pieces of chocolate around coffee times. I just save myself a couple of calories. Eating something you love on a daily basis is more interesting than *trying to guess if it would, possibly, hypothetically, * fit into your diary, and leave you with the feeling of having missed it ;-)
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    I buy Endangered Species Brand 88% dark chocolate, I think it's 210 calories for half a bar of it. It's around $5 for one bar but it lasts me around 2 weeks since it has such a strong flavor.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    My girlfriend got me hooked on Lindt Swiss Bittersweet Chocolate. Its in a white wrapper. YUM!

41AaLunN8kL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • heidiberr
    heidiberr Posts: 643 Member
    Dove Dark Chocolate is my favorite. it's a mouthgasm.
  • Fit_2013
    Fit_2013 Posts: 326 Member
    My favorite is endangered species small individually wrapped.
  • summer8it
    summer8it Posts: 433 Member
    I haven't had them in a while, so can't quote exactly how many calories, but I like the individually wrapped Ghiradelli dark chocolate squares that come in a black bag. They have 3 different levels of cocoa percentages, and can be easily found in the candy aisle of the grocery store.

The individually wrapped pieces are great for portion control, but I once put some in a gift bag, and the recipient thought they were condoms!
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Dove Dark
    Ghirardelli 72% Twilight
    Choceur Dark (German...sold at Aldi's...DELICIOUS!!!)
  • hummingbird71
    hummingbird71 Posts: 298 Member
    All of these are great! Thanks! I have them on my grocery list already! It's the candy isle that I have been skipping on my grocery visits... I NOW GET TO WALK THRU IT!
  • JayByrd107
    JayByrd107 Posts: 282 Member
    If you're eating the chocolate for the sake of the antioxidants/benefits, then you'll want to go with minimally processed raw cacao (which my wife says tastes like dirt). Heating and processing destroys a lot of the good stuff. Still, dark chocolate is more beneficial than milk chocolate but go with as dark as you can stand.
  • Leiki
    Leiki Posts: 526 Member
    GodivaExtraDarkSantoDomingoWrapper.jpg

65 cal a piece

Godiva Extra Dark Chocolate
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 417 Member
    74d5cc93.jpg
    This stuff is AMAZING!!
  • mogriff1
    mogriff1 Posts: 325 Member
    Bumping, looking for a good brand myself.......

Dr Oz mentioned the benefits of dark chocolate in a couple of his most recent episodes. (He said at least 70% kills cancer cells in colon, helps prevents heart disease, has anti oxident properties as well as flavinoids and provides energy boost).
  • I *highly* recommend Valrhona 71% Dark Chocolate - Le Noir Amer (Red Triangle on Package) available at Trader Joe's. I find one square of this French dark chocolate (1/2 oz 60 cal 4 gms fat) savored with a cup of coffee, green chai tea or peppermint tea EVERY DAY is just the ticket! :o)
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Also...Lindt with Red Chilli
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Lindt and Ghirardelli are awesome. Ghirardelli has an 86% dark that I think is tastier than the 72% they have. I get mine on Amazon.com because I can't find it in town in the individually wrapped squares and I can't be trusted yet with an entire bar. I did recently have a Chocolove Dark Chocolate Cherry Chili. I think it was only about 60% but was really good. I just bought a Dagoba Organic 87% but haven't tried it yet.

Dove Dark and Hershey's Special Dark are both around 60%. I still eat those if I don't have access to darker ones. The taste is good but higher in carbs than what I like.

Most reputable sites state anything over 65% will have the health benefits that you are probably looking for. If you are not used to dark chocolate you might want to start at the 65% side and work your way up. The higher you get the more bitter it is.
  • esphixiet
    esphixiet Posts: 214 Member
    a_3_1_8_excellence_ecuador-75-cacao-bar.png

this stuff is my absolute fave - and you don't need to be "off sugar" to appreciate the taste or texture. I find 90% too bitter, and not melty enough.
  • skinnylion
    skinnylion Posts: 213
    Great idea to start adding some to your diet! I love chocolate and deciding to add a square every few days to my lunch was the best choice I've made in a while. :P Glad you've been converted to the "dark" side (haha pun intended).

I like Ghirardelli and Lindt because they come in several different percentages and use all-natural ingredients. Cadbury looks good on the outside but if you look at the ingredients list, they use a few things I hadn't heard of before. If you're trying to make a healthy choice then go for 60%+ dark and organic (ideally) or at least a bar with no artificial ingredients.

And if you're into flavors, I found an organic bar by Green & Black's with mint over spring break that I loved. It was a little pricey though, I think $4? More of a treat than the regular brands. :)

Edit: Just read through the other replies and I see a lot of people recommending the individually wrapped squares. Personally I can't justify all the wasted packaging (I'm an ecologist!) and I love getting the big bar and breaking off one square at a time. It makes me feel proud to put the rest back in the cabinet. That's just me, though. :P