Running question - how big a gap between?

Options
I couldn't face getting out of bed this morning so went running in the evening instead (5 minute slow jog warm-up, 20 minute hard run, 10 minute slow job cool-down, stretch out). I was planning to do a 45 minute steady run first thing tomorrow morning before work - is that sensible or am I going to do my muscles in? I can't help thinking that it would be almost like running twice in one day, which I don't think I'm quite ready for :laugh:

Replies

• TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I try to run every other day but there are days I just can't, or when its so nice out I can't resist and I run 3 or 4 days in a row! I think you just have to know yourself and what your capable of :) I know some people who run everyday! :)
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Doing it once won't hurt you even if your body isn't ready for it. Try it and see how you feel.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    if you're not ready don't do it--if you are then go ahead! it's that simple. no set rules for such things. listen to your body.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'll set the alarm and see how I feel then - I think I'm overthinking it :ohwell:
  • jdelot
    jdelot Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It is possible to increase your weekly mileage too quickly, which can result in injuries. IT Band Syndrome, for example. If you get that, and I have, you'll probably have to stop running for an extended period of time for it to heal.
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options
    I'll set the alarm and see how I feel then - I think I'm overthinking it :ohwell:

And now you're overthinking overthinking it. :wink: just kidding!

I agree with everyone else, you will not tear down your muscles doing it, it just may take an extra recovery day. Good luck!
  • sophjakesmom
    sophjakesmom Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I would go and see how you feel. When I started running, I would wait between days to run. But now I am comfortable running every day. I will even run twice in one day if a friend wants a partner. I just try to listen to my body and slow down if I need to. There are alot of "rules" but the one I think is the most important is to listen to your body.

Good luck!
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Yep, I've had ITBS in the past and that's exactly why I'm nervous of overdoing it. A more sensible routine and stronger quads seem to have got rid of it for now, touch wood.
  • jdelot
    Options
    Yep, I've had ITBS in the past and that's exactly why I'm nervous of overdoing it. A more sensible routine and stronger quads seem to have got rid of it for now, touch wood.
    Ok. So you know what you're doing. Just listen to your body like everyone says. Have a good run!
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will stop stressing! Am also secretly very pleased to have been told I know what I'm doing - I was the red-faced puffing fatty at the back of the class in school PE lessons :bigsmile:
  • jdelot
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will stop stressing! Am also secretly very pleased to have been told I know what I'm doing - I was the red-faced puffing fatty at the back of the class in school PE lessons :bigsmile:
    I'm glad you took it as a compliment. I looked at your profile. Taking 3 minutes off your 10k PB...That will be an awesome accomplishment.
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    I'm glad you took it as a compliment. I looked at your profile. Taking 3 minutes off your 10k PB...That will be an awesome accomplishment.

I think it could be a bit ambitious, but I like to think big :smile:
  • jdelot
    Options

Well, good luck!
  • jonnyb62
    jonnyb62 Posts: 426
    Options

When was your current PB established? If it was really recent, that might be too big a goal. However, the mistake people make with setting goals is never setting them too high and missing them, it's setting them too low and "meeting" them. Go for it!
  • maryjaquiss
    Options
    Current PB was last year - 56:07, so really only just over a 5% improvement. I feel faster this year and better able to run harder for longer but I won't be too upset as long as I do beat last year's time by something!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't fret. Me? I run three times on Wednesdays:

3-4 in the morning (8:30 to 9:30 or whenever morning meeting ends)
    2 at 5-ish
    3 at 8-ish

and every third Thursday I run 4-5 (Which, is tomorrow. . . gah!)

Bring on the Ragnar!