probably will get some flack, but asking anyway...

Options
HI all,

So, I've only very recently re-started my weight loss journey, and then I found this site. I know there is no "magic" way to lose weight fast - and that it is unhealthy to do so. But, is there anything I can do to jumpstart things? I remember the last time I lost weight (about 4 years ago and with weight watchers) I lost a ton of weight at the beginning, and then it started slowing down.

The very selfish and very vain reason that I'm asking is because I have to go to D.C. for a trade show for my company the first week of July. I tried on my company shirts that I'll have to wear (button down, fitted shirt) and It doesn't fit. :sad: :sad: I really am embarrassed to have to ask for a larger size, so I was just hoping that I could jump start this weight loss between now and then. I really should only need to lose about 5 more pounds (as that is what I weighed last time I needed to wear those dumb shirts).

I've been eating right, staying at or slightly under my calories everyday, drinking plenty of water, walking, and doing Jillian's 30 day shred.

If there is nothing I can do, that's fine (and please don't yell at me for asking :blushing: ) Thanks!

Replies

• artschoolgirl
    artschoolgirl Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Most people lose weight quite quickly in the beginning because they are losing primarily water weight. There's no magic way to jump start besides restricting your calorie intake & eating healthy. Try hitting the gym an extra day a week or joining a fitness class to really jumpstart things. There are tons of fad diets, pills, cleanses, and quick tricks out there, but these will do more harm than good in the end.

Best of luck & keep us posted with your progression!
  • faithjobes
    faithjobes Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    LOL. Shame on ANYONE that would yell at you! I think we'd all do ANYTHING to lose weight FAST if we could. Unfortunately, I don't really know of anything except good old exercise and maybe a body cleanse. If you can hit the gym for a few hours every night doing mostly cardio (eliptical, higher grade on treadmill, swimming), you can lose a pretty significant amount pretty quickly. Just invest much TIME as you can until July. Good luck!
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    the only thing that works for me is eating healthy and exercising A LOT! I've lost 34lbs in 9 weeks because i exercise 7 days a week for a minimum of 1 hour a day. and i'm currently on a "cleanse" (i eat fruits in the morning and for lunch and LOTS of veggies for dinner) and I've lost 4lbs this week so far. AND I'm still exercising an hour a day. hope this helps!
  • alliegator89
    alliegator89 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Chances are you will lose weight a little quicker at the beginning anyway. Some of it will be water weight but real pounds will come off too. Your body won't have adapted to the lower number of calories and increased activity. It you want to take advantage of this I would suggest trying to stick to your set diet and try to work out 3-5 times a week. If you include toning exercises and ones that target your core your body will start to look leaner. Make sure to drink a lot of water too. It basically just helps your whole body run smoother. If you want to make sure you are as thin as possible, but still healthy, for your conference try to stay away from really salty foods for a day or so before you go. It will cut down on bloat. Whatever you decide to do, DO NOT over restrict your calories. That will only end up backfiring and ruining your metabolism in the long run.
  • hickory
    hickory Posts: 42
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You all are so great! I really expected to get a lecture...it's refreshing how supportive the folks here are.

So...the to pp on fruits and veggies who lost 34 lbs. in 9 weeks - do you eat anything else at all? Even at dinner? If not - are all the veggies raw and crunchy or do you cook them? I would love to try that just until the tradeshow - it would be nice to be thin enough to not only fit into my shirt, but for others to notice a difference.

I have been doing Jillian every night - and walking every day. Unfortunately, we don't have the money to join or even attend a gym. :angry: Maybe I could check out their open swim times...see if I can fit that into my schedule. That would be AWESOME...I love to swim - does it really burn that many calories though?

Anyway - thanks everyone! I will continue restricting my calories - possibly try the fruit/veggie cleanse thing/and exercise, exercise, exercise!!! :happy:
  • sassekel
    sassekel Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I heard some suggest laying off simple carbs (bread, rice, pasta etc...) for a jump start. so the fruit and vegatable suggestion might work. worth a try! good luck!
  • benw
    benw Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I know cleanses are very controversial on this site. With that said sometimes they can help get things started for example if you crave certain foods a good cleanse may help get rid of the cravings. Do some research and dont do any that are dangerous.
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I great way to jump start your metabolism is to switch up your exercise routine. You don't have to exercise harder or longer, just work different muscles than you already have been.

Careful on limiting your calories too much. That can be counterproductive.
  • femmerides
    femmerides Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! You all are so great! I really expected to get a lecture...it's refreshing how supportive the folks here are.

So...the to pp on fruits and veggies who lost 34 lbs. in 9 weeks - do you eat anything else at all? Even at dinner? If not - are all the veggies raw and crunchy or do you cook them? I would love to try that just until the tradeshow - it would be nice to be thin enough to not only fit into my shirt, but for others to notice a difference.

I have been doing Jillian every night - and walking every day. Unfortunately, we don't have the money to join or even attend a gym. :angry: Maybe I could check out their open swim times...see if I can fit that into my schedule. That would be AWESOME...I love to swim - does it really burn that many calories though?

Anyway - thanks everyone! I will continue restricting my calories - possibly try the fruit/veggie cleanse thing/and exercise, exercise, exercise!!! :happy:

I do just a large fruit bowl of freshly cut pineapple, sliced apples, strawberries, grapes, and sliced bananas. Sometimes I have another bowl of the same for lunch OR I'll have corn and Jicama. Or Corn and brussel sprouts. And then for dinner I'll have big bowl of Broccoli and brussel sprouts and corn (sometimes I'll cut up some asparagus and cook some artichokes). You're SUPPOSED to eat everything RAW but I hate raw veggies so I figured steamed veggies are better than no veggies. And by the time you get to day 3, you see a noticeable difference and you feel A LOT better. :-) Hope this helps.

Oh, and I don't go to a gym. I either do my videos at home or I go walking and running. Or I go to the track. If I go to the track I walk 1 lap, then run 1 lap, then walk 1 lap, then run 2 laps, then walk 1, run 3, etc.. and then you start decreasing. run 4, walk 1, run 3, walk 1, etc.. and then if you go running around your neighborhood, walk 1 minute, run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, run 2 minutes, etc. and then if you REALLY want to get some crazy good burn, walk 1, run 3, sprint 10 seconds, walk 1, run 3, sprint 20 seconds, walk 1, run 3, sprint 30 seconds, walk 1, run 2, sprint 20 seconds, walk 1, run 3, sprint 10 seconds, and then cool down with a walk 1, run 2, walk 1, run 2, walk 1, run 1, and then walk the rest of the way home. :bigsmile: