What's the damn fuss with grains?!

Options
I See alot of people here cutting grains out their diet completely saying it's high carbs... so who here has had success with weight loss by eating HIGH CARBS still but NO grains? basically carbs from veggies, fruit, nuts.. greek yogurt? want to give this a try but want to know if it has worked for others

Replies

• Nimbkar
    Nimbkar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i try to limit myself to just one kind per day. i.e. Either Rice or whole wheat tortilla.. . I would imagine though that results from cutting all high carbs would be quicker. Do you plan on going vegan during that time
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've cut out grains because foods derived from grains have a high caloric cost for low nutrient return. In other words, there's more nutrients across the board in (for instance) chicken or broccoli than a bagel.

100 grams chicken = -/+ 170 calories
    100 grams broccoli = -/+ 34 calories
    100 grams bagel = -/+ 300 calories

If you're worried about fiber, you get more per calorie from vegetables. It's not all about the carbs, it's because grains are not always the best choice when you're looking for the best return on your calorie "investment".

The oft cited long lived healthy Okinawan people typically eat a diet that is +\- one calorie per gram of food. You can see from my example that you could have both broccoli *and* chicken for dinner and still be ahead over eating a typical 100 gram bagel ... and would that bagel be eaten plain?

Of course, ones food preferences and weight loss goals will also direct choices.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal....If you get 10 people in a room and only eat what they say is "good", you're guaranteed to starve to death. No food, in and of itself is "bad". Unless you have some allergy or intolerance, just eat everything in moderation, maintain a small caloric deficit, and lose weight. You need to find something you can do for the REST OF YOUR LIFE....otherwise, it's just a "diet", and the weight is gonna come right back on when you go back to eating "normally." Everyone eats differently--some are low carb, some high carb...find something you can live with long-term and stick to it. No matter what you choose, 1/2 the people you ask will tell you it's wrong...doesn't matter though. Just do your thing. :glasses:
  • OceansForever
    OceansForever Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    So here's the deal....If you get 10 people in a room and only eat what they say is "good", you're guaranteed to starve to death. No food, in and of itself is "bad". Unless you have some allergy or intolerance, just eat everything in moderation, maintain a small caloric deficit, and lose weight. You need to find something you can do for the REST OF YOUR LIFE....otherwise, it's just a "diet", and the weight is gonna come right back on when you go back to eating "normally." Everyone eats differently--some are low carb, some high carb...find something you can live with long-term and stick to it. No matter what you choose, 1/2 the people you ask will tell you it's wrong...doesn't matter though. Just do your thing. :glasses:

^^That!

All things in moderation.
  • Ashatack
    Ashatack Posts: 41
    Options
    Well not eating grains is over rated, it works great for some people but there are nutrients in alot of grain dirived products you need such as fiber. Limiting this is the key. theres no reason you cant eat a begel and a candy bar on the same day so long as it fits in with your calorie and other nutrient goals, healthy eating is a life style not a diet.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs eating porridge, wholemeal bread, pasta, rice and potatoes every SINGLE day. Don't believe that crap. Just eat balanced & in moderation. There are so many fads and so much 'bro'science out there...just eat good, wholesome food and nothing highly processed X :smile:
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I can't tolerate grains, I don't eat low carb, and I have lost weight. My diary is open.
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 lbs eating porridge, wholemeal bread, pasta, rice and potatoes every SINGLE day. Don't believe that crap. Just eat balanced & in moderation. There are so many fads and so much 'bro'science out there...just eat good, wholesome food and nothing highly processed X :smile:
    Don't tell that to the people who don't eat grain. You'll get crucified... er trollified. One time I made the mistake of saying protein shakes and power bars were silly. I guess I'm just not healthy enough.