Osteoarthritis in my knees

NurseMisty
NurseMisty Posts: 312 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
My right knee has been making some sounds lately and getting sore. So I went to the doctor and I found out it's osteoarthritis and it's beginning in the left knee also. The problem now is what to do for exercise. 95% of my exercise is walking. I don't run, so not a biggie that I can't. Doc said no lunges or squats. I'm trying to get into get lap swimming classes. What else can I do that will be easy on the knees.

Replies

• lyla29
    lyla29 Posts: 3,549 Member
    Bike riding is supposed to be better on the knees, and I have heard that the elliptical is also easier on the knees. I have a problem with my left knee hurting me also, so I had to give up doing lunges and squats (although they sure did help with toning :ohwell: ) I walk on the treadmill, and also bike ride. I can't seem to get used to the elliptical. I'm not sure what other exercises would be good. :smile:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Elliptical is good because the impact on your joints is minimal, the stationary bike ( or your own bicycle are good as well. Swimming laps is awesome exercise and because of the bouyancy in the water your joints have minimal impact

Good luck
  • I've got a 13-year reconstructed knee, with the arthritis, and some more recent damage. I'm not supposed to be running but I do anyway.
    If you're looking for low impact and awesome workout...try an arc trainer. I'm in love with the one at my gym.
  • rinalynn
    rinalynn Posts: 87
    I have a 20 year old reconstructed knee and I have RA I jog and do squats, I take fish oil and flaxseed oil and I also follow and anit inflamitory diet and l feel so much better. I am doing exercises now that I haven't been able to do for a long time. I have and elipticile (sp) machine and I don't like it, But we are all different you may enjoy it. Swimming is awesome.
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    I have two bad knees, two bulging disks and a herniated disk in my back as well. For me, exercise in the pool is most beneficial. It does not hurt my knees or my back. Perhaps you could find a great water aerobics class which includes toning. My best to you.:flowerforyou:
  • kdive
    kdive Posts: 1 Member
    Swimming is definitely a great way to go. I've been through 3 surgeries on my rt knee so lunges and running have been out of the picture for a while. Bicycling is great also, you may need to raise the seat a little higher than normal to avoid any wear and tear. I still use a road bike and a mountain bike and torture myself with spin classes in the winter. Elliptical didn't work for me but the arc trainer is fantastic.
This discussion has been closed.