help !!!! i need some support ( bad pun sorry)

Options
ok, so i am doing the biggest loser bootcamp and i am being rather sucessful and love doing it, but i cannot for the life of me do a push up :( any tips ? I try every time.... every single time .... I am pretty heavy (292) is it possible that there is just too much of me to push up ?? help somone ? anyone ??

Replies

• chuisle
    chuisle Posts: 1,052 Member
    Options
    Start with easier variations. You can start by pushing yourself against a wall. (stand a few feet away and lean forward so you are sort of doing a push up against it). Then move down so that your body is at a 45 degree angle, then move to a 30 degree angle and so on until you've built the strength to do a real one!

Don't worry, they are tough! You'll get there.
  • jsilky
    jsilky Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Have you tried doing (girl pushups?) I work out a lot ( I think) and I weigh 154lbs and can not do a (man's pushup).
  • cheryl5115
    cheryl5115 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Have you tried push up on you knees. After you master them then move to regular. I am trying to lose some weight and get just starting an exercise program. So I am like you I need the support. :happy:
  • ebatkins32
    ebatkins32 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to do a push up either. I always thought it was weight and the fact I have no upper body strength. When i started working out with my new trainer, he pointed out that my form was incorrect. He also said incorrect form is a good way to injure your shoulders and it was putting a lot of pressure on my back. Arms should be at your chest (boob level) not out in front of you. Once i got in proper form i did 10 pushups consecutively. Hope that helps!!!!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Yep, girl push-ups, from your knees. Much easier and you can build up from there :)
  • chuisle
    Options
    Don't start on your knees.

It doesn't simulate the exercise really. Putting your knees on the ground minimizing the core strength and shifts the muscles being used. Start on a wall, if its too easy move closer to the floor.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I get nothing from doing them against a wall. I agree with the knees to build the upper body strength for now.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I agree with the incline push-ups. Use a chair or the counter top to place your hands on to help support some of the weight.
  • chuisle
    Options
    I get nothing from doing them against a wall. I agree with the knees to build the upper body strength for now.

Then do them on an incline. 45 degrees perhaps.

Knees are a popular alternative but often people can do them on their knees all day and not build the strength to do the regular ones because different muscles are developed and it doesn't simulate a real push closely enough.
  • zebramama84
    zebramama84 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone !! i can do it against a wall no problem so i think i will move to an incline ! and for what its worth my knees are a no go at this point too !!! Im always looking for friends too !!