Hi all

Thinking of trying pilates and am interested in an at-home machine
Any recs?

Thanks, kim

Replies

• tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I am a pilates instructor. LOVE the machines, but are tooooo expensive. I still do floor pilates at home and when I got past advanced on all the position do it on a bosu ball.... You will have to go back down to beginner and work your self up (also some moves on the Swiss ball too!). I have been doing pilates for 6ish years and still can't do all the advance moves on the bosu. :laugh:
    Basically...save hundreds and don't get a machine $99 bosu will kick your butt better. If you really want to try a machine (the reformer) go to a studio for a month.
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks
    do u have any recs for a beginner video?
    I would assume since I've never done pilates to start with beginner?

I've been working out now for about a year
    Just to give u some background..I've been doing yoga for a year (ravi/singh) I walk/run sprints on the treadmill and do J/M 30 day shred (5 pound weights)
    Still looking for something to strengthen my core/firm my tummy

Thanks, kim
  • tiff1632
    tiff1632 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks

Just to give u some background..I've been doing yoga for a year (ravi/singh) I walk/run sprints on the treadmill and do J/M 30 day shred (5 pound weights)

Thanks, kim

I honestly started with the Winsor Pilates - Accelerated Body Sculpting, buns and thigh sculpting, and Abs Sculpting. I still do them to this day and along with the traditional 25 that JP instructed. I am at level 3-4 (Advanced-Master) on the floor and 1-2 (beginner-Intermediate) on the bosu. Just remember yoga and pilates are not similar (honestly most yoga and pilates don't mix well because of different training styles. If you are good at yoga you won't be amazing in pilates and visa versa...but I have seen that proven wrong...I know I am TERRIBLE at yoga! :laugh: ).

I am trying to loose the last little bit (area that no one sees but me...) and what I am doing is watch my salt intake. Where salt goes water goes (studying to be a pharmacist too...). So if you have to much salt your water will just hang out and not cleanse your body like it should. And remember you can not spot shrink any area. To start seeing abs it is 20% workout and 80% diet (meaning if you eat crappy you can have a great abs that are hidden)

On the treadmill do 5 sec sprint 55 sec walk, then add 5 seconds to the sprint and subtract 5 to the walk (It will get difficult) or so the same at a 2 min intervals. Increase as your body gets stronger. LOVE that! And...I am also a spinning instructor :wink: , so if you want a serious carido workout ... try 3 classes before you decided if you like it or not. I burn anywhere between 400 -600 a class. (remember if you do something a long time you cann't burn cals like you used to...) Beginners usually can do anywhere between 500-800 a class if they kick your butt at it....

Gooooood Luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks

Thanks, kim

I honestly started with the Winsor Pilates - Accelerated Body Sculpting, buns and thigh sculpting, and Abs Sculpting. I still do them to this day and along with the traditional 25 that JP instructed. I am at level 3-4 (Advanced-Master) on the floor and 1-2 (beginner-Intermediate) on the bosu. Just remember yoga and pilates are not similar (honestly most yoga and pilates don't mix well because of different training styles. If you are good at yoga you won't be amazing in pilates and visa versa...but I have seen that proven wrong...I know I am TERRIBLE at yoga! :laugh: ).

I am trying to loose the last little bit (area that no one sees but me...) and what I am doing is watch my salt intake. Where salt goes water goes (studying to be a pharmacist too...). So if you have to much salt your water will just hang out and not cleanse your body like it should. And remember you can not spot shrink any area. To start seeing abs it is 20% workout and 80% diet (meaning if you eat crappy you can have a great abs that are hidden)

On the treadmill do 5 sec sprint 55 sec walk, then add 5 seconds to the sprint and subtract 5 to the walk (It will get difficult) or so the same at a 2 min intervals. Increase as your body gets stronger. LOVE that! And...I am also a spinning instructor :wink: , so if you want a serious carido workout ... try 3 classes before you decided if you like it or not. I burn anywhere between 400 -600 a class. (remember if you do something a long time you cann't burn cals like you used to...) Beginners usually can do anywhere between 500-800 a class if they kick your butt at it....

Gooooood Luck!! :flowerforyou:

Thanks so much for all the advice/tips
    I do lobe yoga...not sure If I am 'good' at it...LOL
    I don't belong to a gym but DH does and gets some free passes per year
    I may use the pass to try a pilates/floor class just to see if I will like it and invest in a DVD

Thanks again!!
    Kim
  • chloe7473
    chloe7473 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My favorite pilates dvd is Rapid Results w/Lara Hudson. It is 5 separate 10 minute work outs so you can do any combination or all of them. It is easy to find, I got mine at Wal-Mart.