Need Advice RE: Overtraining

Options
I need some advice from people who have been doing some muscle building workouts about whether or not my problem might be overtraining.
For the last two years, and again this year, I started training in March for a 240 kilometer bike ride in mid June. The first year, I could barely cycle 25 kilometers when I began. Both years I struggled a little with especially tired and weak muscles, but this year it's really bad. I am at roughly the same point in my training as last year, but my large thigh muscles are so burned out I could hardly run up the stairs this morning. (when I forgot my lunch, NOT for exercise!) They were immediately so tired I literally couldn't run up. I've been going for a year and a half to Curves Gym 3 times a week, and then for the last two weeks cycling to work twice a week (1 hr total ride the first week, then added a big hill for a 1 1/2 hour total last week and yesterday). I've been doing a long (3hour, 60k) ride on Sundays. This Sundays ride almost killed me. I had no muscle strength at all, and couldn't keep up with the group I always ride with. I took a rest on Monday, and did nothing. It doesn't really seem like enough to wear out my muscles. I try to get lots of protein. I exercise regularly (for close to 2 years now)- elliptical, running, speed walking, Curves, some core floor exercises, including a variety of leg lifts that also work those muscles. I didn't cycle in the winter, and have only been back on the bike for a couple of months, and with the bad weather not a ton of rides in that time. Does this sound like trouble from overtraining, or just because those muscles aren't used to the work, and I just need to work through it until they are strong enough? I don't want to go backwards because of overtraining, but I also don't want to lose training time if it's just something to work through. I don't mind the suffering and struggling, I just want to be sure I'm on the winning track!
Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• jshaps7
    jshaps7 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    You said you try to eat lots of protein - what about carbs? Protein is great for building muscle and muscle repair, but carbs are just as important as energy for your muscles during the workout. It sounds to me like you're not eating enough (but I'm not a professional). Also how is your overall calorie intake? Unless you're experiencing excessive soreness, pulled muscles or injury, I don't think you're overtraining (but again, not an expert).

If this is really a persistent issue, I'd suggest you go to your doctor.
  • shrinkinginQualicum
    shrinkinginQualicum Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hmm... Carbs. I always thought of them as one of those things you always get more than enough of. I will check that out. Thanks for the idea. I eat back all the calories I exercise out. I am trying to lose a few more pounds, but not seriously. I eat mostly healthy, lots of fruit and veg, but normal dinners of meat and rice or potato. Lately I've been struggling (and failing) to stay away from the Easter Chocolate, but still having my usual meals.