How to recover after eating a guilty pleasure food?

Options
2»

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    You'll have to be on that elliptical for a while to burn off that pizza. Try HIIT or cardio with weights. You can finish that in about 15-45 minutes and burn even more depending on what you choose. Making that pizza more satisfying.

Yeah--purge those calories. uuh NO!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    420 for lunch? That sounds perfectly normal, I usually have more. Honestly, even if that wasn't your whole lunch, guilt, shame and needing to be punished are not things that you should be feeling around food. You had lunch, that's all. :flowerforyou:
  • eponai
    eponai Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think associating guilt with food is very unhealthy!
    I know that we all do it at times, but I think having feelings of guilt about food and then trying to work it all off right away is what can lead to disordered feelings/restrictions and thoughts about food. And surely this is not the case for everyone, but for some.
    I think it is important, when you eat food, to try and enjoy and appreciate it. Instead of shaming yourself over it, why don't you ask yourself questions like "what did I enjoy about that," "what didn't make me feel good about that," etc.
    If you deny yourself something you will only develop stronger feelings of desire/conflict with that thing. Allow yourself to feel peace about it - all foods in moderation - and move on!

YES, THIS!!!! forget about it and move on. one meal at a time. do not punish yourself with cardio. read what my coach says about guilt cardio here:

http://leanbodiesconsulting.com/frequently-asked-questions/I+binged,+deviated,+or+had+an+unplanned+cheat--should+I+do+more+cardio+to+make+up+for+it?+Skip+my+next+meal?
  • lovelylovebug
    lovelylovebug Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Just try to remember that a healthy diet doesn't have to be 100% perfect. It's okay to eat some things that aren't considered so great. Personally I don't consider pizza a junk food. Just remember one meal or one cheat snack a day isn't going to make or break your day, so alter your next meal a little bit. It's all about balance.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm also confused, because yesterday you posted that you were struggling by several hundred calories to make your calorie goal, so I'm not sure what the problem is...
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm actually bothered that some people are validating this and telling you that it's a good idea to run out and burn this food away. It's food! And it's a treat you had one day, it's not going to adversely affect you in any way shape or form. You don't need to feel guilty about it nor should you be immediately thinking about paying for it by busting your behind on a treadmill, doing HIIT or anything else.

Do your workouts as you normally do, indulge on occasion and you'll be fine. It's a marathon not a sprint, you're in this for the long haul not the short term.
  • eponai
    eponai Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm actually bothered that some people are validating this and telling you that it's a good idea to run out and burn this food away. It's food! And it's a treat you had one day, it's not going to adversely affect you in any way shape or form. You don't need to feel guilty about it nor should you be immediately thinking about paying for it by busting your behind on a treadmill, doing HIIT or anything else.

Do your workouts as you normally do, indulge on occasion and you'll be fine. It's a marathon not a sprint, you're in this for the long haul not the short term.

i wish MFP had a "like" button!
  • PHLLLY
    PHLLLY Posts: 160 Member
    Options

My bad, I thought about it and I should have elaborated on more examples. It doesn't work for everybody, but it's just one example. I apologize. We all have to find what motivates us to workout and me eating guilty foods helps with that. When I'm running on that treadmill all I see is a doritos locos in the distance because I know I earned it from my hard work!
  • bhnmt
    bhnmt Posts: 5
    Options

(sorry about the edits but this is my first time posting so I had to figure out how to do it)

thank you for saying this, because it's exactly what I was going to say and now I don't have to figure out how to word it.
  • maruxf
    maruxf Posts: 39
    Options
    This may sound silly but I schedule a cheat meal once a week. Same day, same meal (Saturday Brunch). That way when I'm really craving that order of french fries during the week I can say: "No 'cause then I can't have my awesome Brunch on Saturday."

It is the only allowance I give myself. Otherwise (adjusting calories or my amount of exercise), is like a credit card. They are easy to max out....