Too low when it comes to calories?

Options
Hi Folks!

A coworker told me about this site and I'm pumped! I've used other weight loss/nutrition sites and they haven't seem to really mesh well.

I entered all of my information and the system says that a 1300 calorie intake per day should be sufficient. I'm 5'4", 255 lbs. with a goal of 140 pounds. I would like to aim for 2lbs loss a week. Other sites that I've used have had me consuming around 1600 calories a day.

Does the number 1300 seem a tad low for anyone?

Replies

• alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Many other sites assume exercise, MFP does not. So if you burn 300 calories through exercise, you eat those back. I think that accounts for the appearance of a lower calorie goal.
  • NicoleR1980
    NicoleR1980 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    you may want to aim for a higher calorie intake on work out days but days that you are sedentary it is an okay amount
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Many other sites assume exercise, MFP does not. So if you burn 300 calories through exercise, you eat those back. I think that accounts for the appearance of a lower calorie goal.

This.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    That is too little. Start off with 1800 and eat back exercise calories.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! I would advise not to have such a high weekly loss goal as 2 lb. if you are just starting out, you should ease in to it, and this may be a little hard to adjust to. I would set it to lose 1lb / week.