ARGH on the sugar (again!)

NinaDawn79
NinaDawn79 Posts: 164
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I posted about this before, and I suppose I should just go to My Topics and revive it, but I am really getting frustrated with the sugar allowance!!! So two pieces of fruit is really too much in a day?? Two other questions:

1) How do you stay within the allowance of sugar?? (i.e. what do you eat/not eat, besides the obvious candy, etc.)
2) Do those of you who somehow stay within the allowance lose better than those of us who don't/can't, or is it more of an overall health issue? I notice a HUGE difference when I make a concentrated effort at keeping the sodium down, but have NEVER been able to get the sugar down (If I don't eat my fruit I find myself drawn to the vending machine like a magnet, argh!)

Tips and experiences are appreciated, TIA!!!

Replies

• bagaydina
    bagaydina Posts: 46
    I didn't track the sugar till I saw your post, I tracked cholesterol, protein, fat,sodium and carbs. In my opinion it's better to watch let's say cholesterol then sugar b/c if you are going to try to keep good sugar off like fruits then you'll automatically will eat foods high in cholesterol. I am confused also I don't really know what to track better
  • mskellyw
    mskellyw Posts: 111
    I just posted this yesterday on a similar thread, so I'm just cutting and pasting here:

I don't like that food labels don't differentiate between added sugars and those naturally found in foods. The added sugars are the ones you need to watch out for. Reading labels is really the only way to find out how much added sugar is in something -- the higher on the list sugar, HFCS, cane juice, any ingredient ending in "-ose", etc, the more of it is in the food. Try to keep your added sugar to a bare minimum and I wouldn't worry so much about the naturally occurring ones in fruits, veggies and grains. When they're naturally packaged with fiber, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, etc, your body reacts to them much differently than when they're added into foods.
This discussion has been closed.