To lose one kilo a week burn 7709cals?

Options
Okay, just wondering... It is said that to burn a kilo of fat you need to burn 7709 calories. So if I burnt 7709cals in a week, would that equal to one kg of fat loss a week?
IF I somehow managed to get my lazy bum off the couch and did that many in a week it calculates to 1101 a day. If my BMR is 1313 and I want to aim to try to burn anywhere between 500-1000 calories a day, how many calories should I consume?

Replies

• sazroy
    sazroy Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Yes, you ned to have a deficit of 7709 cals/week to lose 1 kilo, however it won't all be fat...some of it will be muscle, and it'll be even more muscle than you would like if you don't lose it by being active (so getting your lazy self off that couch!)
  • cynthiaj777
    cynthiaj777 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    You just need a deficit of 1101. Doesn't matter the numbers.

If you are eating 1400 calories base and you burn 1101, then eat 1400 net.

If you are eating 1400 calories base and you burn 2000, then eat 2299 net.

Logic applies to all numbers.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Also, I must state that healthy weight loss is 1 lb a week at 3500 calories. You are more than doubling that to get 1 kg loss. You should be aiming at about 1/2 that loss per week. A 500 calorie burn is pretty easy. Moderate effort for an hr. 1101 calories is over 2 hours. And being that you don't exercise, you won't be working out 1101 calories or over 2 hours. You need to really focus on being realistic.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Also, I must state that healthy weight loss is 1 lb a week at 3500 calories. You are more than doubling that to get 1 kg loss. You should be aiming at about 1/2 that loss per week. A 500 calorie burn is pretty easy. Moderate effort for an hr. 1101 calories is over 2 hours. And being that you don't exercise, you won't be working out 1101 calories or over 2 hours. You need to really focus on being realistic.

Where does it state that 1 pound is a healthy weightloss, in Australia everyone (doctors, weight watchers etc.) say half a kilo to 1 kilo is healthy. I'm only going by what is said to be healthy here in Aus.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

Where does it state that 1 pound is a healthy weightloss, in Australia everyone (doctors, weight watchers etc.) say half a kilo to 1 kilo is healthy. I'm only going by what is said to be healthy here in Aus.

LOL. That's the same thing. 3500 (1 lb) times 2 = 7000 calories. 7709 (1 kg) divided by 2 = 3854.50

A 1/2 kg is roughly 1 lb.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

1 kilo a week would be healthy if you have 45 kilos to lose. Less than that and you should be aiming for half a kilo.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    So half to 1kg (2.2lbs) is a healthy loss.
    Sarah, do try and do some strength training to limit muscle loss. You will also look better in a bikini if you strength train. Even if you can't get to the gym do some bodyweight exercises at home.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options

1 kilo a week would be healthy if you have 45 kilos to lose. Less than that and you should be aiming for half a kilo.

Right. The more you weigh and the more you have to lose, the more you can afford to lose per week at a healthy rate.

I'd say over 100 lbs to lose, you can safely lose 2 lbs a week. 20-99 lbs to lose should be around 1 lb a week. Under 20 to lose should be around a 1/2 lb a week. 20 lbs or less is when you should up your calories the most to reset metabolism all the way going into maintenance and focus on toning and being healthy. Once you've reset your metabolism and lost the last bit of weight, you are ready...literally....your metabolism....to eat at higher maintenance calories....probably 1800 calories before exercise and even more with exercise.
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Sarah, do try and do some strength training to limit muscle loss. You will also look better in a bikini if you strength train. Even if you can't get to the gym do some bodyweight exercises at home.

Strength training is a must and vital. You must tone. It gives the best results.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Cynthia, I think if you do everything right up to 2lbs loss per week would be okay even for those with less than 100lbs.
    In my case I have always wanted fast loss but always gain the weight back. If I didn't keep yo-yo dieting I could have been at goal weight by now via slow weight loss. So I hate to admit it but fast weight loss possibly worked against me maybe I wouldn't have yo-yoed with slower loss?
  • jsp2374
    jsp2374 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    http://weightloss.com.au/articles/exercise/how-much-exercise.html

^^^try reading that^^^

I do think it is better to lose slowly so that you adjust and re-train your body and mind to the "better" way to look at food consumption.

Jackie
  • cynthiaj777
    Options
    Cynthia, I think if you do everything right up to 2lbs loss per week would be okay even for those with less than 100lbs.
    In my case I have always wanted fast loss but always gain the weight back. If I didn't keep yo-yo dieting I could have been at goal weight by now via slow weight loss. So I hate to admit it but fast weight loss possibly worked against me maybe I wouldn't have yo-yoed with slower loss?

It was possibly because of your calorie intake. When you lose weight too quickly, you ruin your metabolism, then when you go to maintenance (or deviate from what made you lose the weight so quickly), you just gain it back.

Same logic when you hear, "You may lose 10 lbs starving yourself, but as soon as you eat, you'll gain it all back." They ruin their metabolism, so when they did start to eat again, they gain weight instead of maintaining.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    The 3500 cals for a pound or 7709 cals for a Kilo equation is a reasonable rule of thumb but nothing more.

The theory being that, because 1lb of fat is 3500 cals then by creating this deficit you will lose 1 lb of fat. But when you lose WEIGHT (note not fat) you lose solid and water. If half of your loss was water that 1/2 lb of water doesn't need 1750cals (3500/2).

But, even taking the water loss aside, it is known that we lose some muscle and some fat when losing weight. The ratio of fat/muscle lost will depend on many things but if we assume a 25% muscle 75% fat loss this will disrupt the 3500 cals per pound equation.

Ironically the 2500 per lb seems to work for many people so despite it being flawed, in the real world it is a reasonable rule of thumb.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

The rule I've heard that makes more sense is 1% of your weight, possibly adjusted by how much you still have to lose.

This makes more sense to me because it seems reasonable that someone who weighs 200 kilos could run a higher deficit than someone who weighs 50, even if they both want to lose weight.
  • sazroy
    Options

LOL. That's the same thing. 3500 (1 lb) times 2 = 7000 calories. 7709 (1 kg) divided by 2 = 3854.50

What do you mean? You just said I'm more than doubling the healthy weight loss for a week, but I'm not, I want to lose 1kg a week (2lbs) which is healthy.
  • sazroy
    Options

Saving up for more weight at the moment, I only have 1kg ones. What weight would you recommend if I can do 250 bicep curls with no problems on a 1kg lol.. Seriously 1kg weights are mainly for walking but been trying to build muscle with them while saving.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

What do you mean? You just said I'm more than doubling the healthy weight loss for a week, but I'm not, I want to lose 1kg a week (2lbs) which is healthy.

1kg a week is only a healthy amount to lose each week if you have a lot to lose.

You only have a small amount to lose, so it'll be much harder for you to lose a 1kg a week.
  • sazroy
    Options
    Basically, I eat 1500 cals a day at the moment and haven't been doing any exercise other than walk to work, walk around work and walk home. So no "extra" exercise. 1500 is maintaining me, I am not losing nor gaining. I'm stuck on 79.7kgs. The main reason I ask this is because I'm not losing any weight now, 1kg is preferred but yes would be ecstatic with half a kilo, gee even a quarter of a kilo would blow me over.

I'm having the most difficulty trying to accept the fact "eat more to lose weight" It goes against everything I was raised with. My parents didn't instill this in me, society did. Geez when I lost the most weight and was at my goal weight was when I ate a hotdog or chicken burger for lunch everything and steak chips and veggies for dinner everyday but walked always.

I can't get my head around it. My weight issue is a psycological issue. I'm getting there though, that's why I ask so many questions over and over Cynthia (in reference to my status you commented on earlier). I need the reassurance from many to understand that yes this is right.

I'm understanding.. if 1500 is maintaining me.. Should I then say, eat 1500 as a base, but days that I exercise lets say I burnt 500cals should I then eat 250? So eating 1750 a day WITH exercise? Or if I upped. I ate 1750 as an average, then burn 500 then ate 250 back so make my daily goal 1900 with 500 burned? This last equation would make it 1900 - 500 = 1400 which is above my BMR of 1313.

Am I understanding it yet or getting it wrong because from all the info thrown at me in past topics, this is the message I've been given.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options

I'm understanding.. if 1500 is maintaining me.. Should I then say, eat 1500 as a base, but days that I exercise lets say I burnt 500cals should I then eat 250? So eating 1750 a day WITH exercise? Or if I upped. I ate 1750 as an average, then burn 500 then ate 250 back so make my daily goal 1900 with 500 burned? This last equation would make it 1900 - 500 = 1400 which is above my BMR of 1313.

Am I understanding it yet or getting it wrong because from all the info thrown at me in past topics, this is the message I've been given.

My BMR is 1650.
    I eat 1750 cals a day.

I have a HRM that I use when I exercise.

If I exercise 250 Cals.

I eat 1750 + 250.