Help!! Do you guys trust your Timex HRM?

Options
Hey,

I just bought a Timex HRM (with Cheststrap). I've started running with it and I find that if I run for... say... 25 minutes, it will say that I have burned around 600 calories. Could this be right? It seems high so I always take off 150 calories (no idea why I picked the number 150)

Thanks you guys!

Replies

• dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex HRM that I trust - it seems to give accurate results based on the exercises done. Did you input the correct weight, etc. before you used it?
  • itsnevrenough
    Options
    I just bought one, too, but haven't received it yet. Anxious to see what y'all think!
  • momswanson
    momswanson Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I have two HRMs, a Timex and a Nike. I don't like the Nike at all, it is hard to use and for some reason doesn't work properly when I use it at the gym, it stops and starts. The Timex is great, very reliable and user friendly. I don't worry too much that it is getting the calories burned exactly right, I just care that it seems to be consistent so I can tell how hard I am working, or more precisely, did I day dream during my workout and slack off! :laugh:
  • dwightdegroff
    dwightdegroff Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I always take off 150 calories (no idea why I picked the number 150)

I don't know whether the Timex HRM takes how much I would have burned if I wasn't exercising, so I try to figure out how much my body would have burned if I was just sitting around, via my BMR(1,927) which is the amount I would burn if I just slept all day(24 hours). I typically workout for about an hour, so 1,927 calories / 24 hours = about 81 calories.

So I generally subtract 80-100 calories from whatever my HRM tells me I burned if I'm planning on "eating back" my exericse calories. It's good to be conservative with the amount you're logging as "burned".