Kcals burned during weight lifting

Options
Alright, so I assumed this topic would have been covered, but I'm having a hard time finding it with the search function.

but, when measuring calories burned through weight lifting, should you include the whole time at the gym (provided rest periods were not excessive), or should you only try to include the actual time that you spent lifting, or that your muscles were under tension? i.e. if I am at the gym for an hour lifting, on MFP I usually go ahead and only count it as 30 minutes, but I don't know how accurate this method is.

here's the link that really got me thinking: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/food-groups/physicalactivity_calories_used_table.html

down at the bottom you see weight lifting, and 1 hour burning 440 kcals, but on MFP 1 hour is more like 257 kcal, or at least that's what comes up for me. does anyone have any ideas what is right, what is wrong, and how I should be counting these calories?

Replies

• kazzari
    kazzari Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I get 191 calories for one hour of strength training, and that seems about right. I know from my BodyBugg wearing days, while doing the NROL fat loss workouts, I burned over 300 calories, and I am currently revisiting those workouts. So if anything, for me it is underestimaing a bit.
  • reedkaus
    reedkaus Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    right on. i know that it will obviously take weight and sex into account, and that's probably where we're differing. today a half hour got me about 170 or something like that, but i was actually there for 90 minutes, and it was leg work so it was pretty intense