Gym for the first time tomorrow morning... HELP!

Options
I have no idea where to start. Any advice is welcome!!

Do I eat before or after? What machines should I use? I am looking to lose weight and strengthen muscles

Replies

• allerina
    allerina Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the elliptical. It's not high impact, but it burns a ton of calories and the machines usually have a bunch of different settings. I do strength training 2-3 times a week, I usually do arms one day and legs another and then on the 3rd day I do circuit training, if your gym has a circuit setup I highly recommend that because it's fun and effective.
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Unless you have physical limitations (bad back or knees, for instance), you can pretty much pick whatever looks like fun or worth trying. I started with group fitness classes, 'cause I wanted strength training, and wanted someone to keep an eye out for form, and give me modifiers for stuff that did not work.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You must eat something before you go or your body will have no fuel. When you get there ask for an orientation to machines by a staff member that might get you started in the right diretion and good luck.
  • waldenlev
    waldenlev Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Great! You've taken the first step (or will have tomorrow morning). Does the gym have a trainer you can ask for assistance? Just an intro to the different machines and how to use them would be beneficial. If not, the machines typically have placards on them with general info, but don't be shy, if you're unsure ask. Everyone on there was "new" at one point.

Eating before or after is up to debate. Some say you should so your body has access to fuel, others prefer not to. I'm in the latter camp, I can't exercise shortly after eating. I'd rather get up, hit the gym then come home and eat.

Are you just using weights, or doing cardio at the gym too? Do you have any feel for where to start, time wise? When I started 5 minutes was a killer for me, others would look at 30 minutes and laugh. The first thing you'll need to do is establish a baseline. And take your pulse, and record it! If you have a HRM great, but your finger on your neck and a 10 second timer works great too

Best of luck tomorrow morning! Report back!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Most gyms give an orientation the first day, and some will offer you a fitness evaluation with a trainer. (They're trying to sell you a personal trainer contract....you don't have to sign up for that though if you don't want to). Just take it easy...everyone starts somewhere! Let the staff show you a couple of things to start off. You can add more later as you're comfortable.
  • mclaughlin709
    mclaughlin709 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thanks! There is no trainer or orientation (not that I know of) .. it's just the YMCA.. and I am SO nervous.. is that normal?! I'm so on the fence about it, I really want to start, but then I keep saying "What if I look weird" or "what if I'm the biggest person there?!" .. such a struggle!!
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Eat some oatmeal or something before you go.. you definitely don't want to go on a completely empty stomach, but light is good. If your gym offers free fitness classes jump in... they are so much fun. If not, play around and just get a feel for the different stuff that's there...

I totally totally suggest hooking up with a trainer for a session or two... he or she can help you set up some fitness goals and develop a training routine to get you started on the right path of results quickly so you won't get discouraged..
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Thanks! There is no trainer or orientation (not that I know of) .. it's just the YMCA.. and I am SO nervous.. is that normal?! I'm so on the fence about it, I really want to start, but then I keep saying "What if I look weird" or "what if I'm the biggest person there?!" .. such a struggle!!
    You can ASK for an orientation or a free visit with a trainer. It's in their best interest to make sure you use the equipment safely.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    If your YMCA is like MY YMCA, they do have orientations, you just need to set up an appointment with a Wellness Coach. I LOVE my YMCA. You can have appointments with the Wellness Coaches as much as you'd like, no extra cost. They will work up a workout plan for you, whatever you'd like. Everyone is very helpful! I go 6 days a week now, I never would have thought that could happen! Good luck, and have fun!
  • builtforlife
    Options
    I say go straight into lifting weights, the quicker you get over that fear the better. Dont lift heavy.
  • ashhhhole
    ashhhhole Posts: 74
    Options
    my first day I tried a little bit of everything. you'll find the machines you love, and the ones you hate. don't be afraid to hop from one thing to another though! also, if its early in the morning i prefer not to eat before I work out, but thats up to you. If you usually cramp up or feel sick when you eat before working out, then don't eat, if you don't have a problem with it, eat something like fruit that has the stuff to get you going.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    We belonged to the YMCA for a while...the one we went to had trainers and everything....but not all do. If yours has a Fit-linxx program sign up! If not...try an elliptical or a treadmill...they're pretty easy to figure out. Good luck!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Ask management for help! You need to know how to use the equipment safely and properly for great results. Have fun!
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    You can ASK for an orientation or a free visit with a trainer. It's in their best interest to make sure you use the equipment safely.
    You sure can. I've been with the Y for two years and I see them walking people around doing the tour almost every time I go. I wish I'd had them do that for me. So ASK!

And anytime you have questions, ask. It's their job to know the answer. Do NOT just hop on a machine or exercise you don't know about. You're asking for injury.

You don't want injury :)
  • casscamp
    casscamp Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If it is your first time I definitely recommend the classes! See if there is a schedule when you go in and try lots of different classes. Classes make working out fun. Al ot of places have step aerobics, kick boxing, zumba, body pump, yoga, etc. Take your time don't get discouraged. One thing I like to do is get on a machine where you can see other parts of a gym. That way while you are doing a machine your a comfortable with you can see how others do machines you might not be as used too or know what to do. Good luck tomorrow! Remember everyone has to start out at the gym for the first time at some point, everyone has been the new guy so don't worry too much!
  • lissymae11
    Options
    I do the spin class at my gym in addition to using the elliptical... I LOVE the classes! I'm less likely to skip, because I have to sign up ahead of time and they kick you out if you miss a certain amount. It's a great workout too, but it can be customized. No one is going to know if you take it on a slightly lower resistance to start with, and increase as you get fitter and more comfortable with it.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Not only should you definitely eat breakfast before going but make sure to drink water tonight and tomorrow morning!

I have recently started making shakes in the morning before going to the gym but any normal healthy breakfast will be fine.

Good luck! And way to go in taking another step towards a healthier you!
  • fatkittiekat
    Options
    a month ago I joined a local gym for the first time, and I had been extremely sedentary, so I took it easy. what I did was stretch, then walk at a moderate speed on the treadmill for 20 minutes, which was killing me, but I survived. after wards i did a few leg exercises, with weight i could handle. I felt really lost but if you have a buddy that would make you feel better. I now have a routine and do cardio for an hour and weight lifting every other day, targeting different areas each time. hope my experience helps guide you to a good start :)
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    If it is your first time I definitely recommend the classes! See if there is a schedule when you go in and try lots of different classes. Classes make working out fun. Al ot of places have step aerobics, kick boxing, zumba, body pump, yoga, etc. Take your time don't get discouraged. One thing I like to do is get on a machine where you can see other parts of a gym. That way while you are doing a machine your a comfortable with you can see how others do machines you might not be as used too or know what to do. Good luck tomorrow! Remember everyone has to start out at the gym for the first time at some point, everyone has been the new guy so don't worry too much!

Yes! Try to join some of the classes that usually come with a gym membership. Its the perfect place to start especially if you're not familiar with exercises.

As far as cardio- I love elliptical! If you're unsure of how to use it.. as the trainer/staff on duty to show you. Thats what they are paid for.

Lastly- DON'T WORRY THAT PEOPLE ARE GOING TO THINK YOU LOOK WEIRD! Trust me, when I'm in the gym I'm in a zone and I hardly notice anyone around me. In my opinion everyone is there to do the same thing so I look at everyone as equal.

Congrats on finally making this big step!