Finding Time

Options
I need suggestions on how to find time to work out. I am a college student, work part time and married. When I get home to my husband, working out is the last thing I want to do. How do you find the time to put exercising at the top of your priority list?

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I need suggestions on how to find time to work out. I am a college student, work part time and married. When I get home to my husband, working out is the last thing I want to do. How do you find the time to put exercising at the top of your priority list?

You make sacrifices, be it waking up earlier, working out during lunch periods, or sacrificing your social time.

At some point, you will want it bad enough that it will become more important than whatever else it is that is somehow preventing you from working out.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    Work full time, college full time, plus married. PLUS the one who cooks most of the dinners, does most of the cleaning, etc.

When it's important, you MAKE the time.

*sigh* OK, that's a bit oversimplified.....

My husband and I both know my health is important. He understands that I have to go exercise. Sometimes he'll come with me and help. I do take a night or two off a week to spend just with him though.
  • allerina
    allerina Posts: 10
    Options
    I'm also in college and work full-time and I have a boyfriend who I live with that I like to hang out with. I know it's hard but you just have to do it. I usually go work out in the morning after my first class when I have a break. On the weekends I go after work (if I work in the afternoon) or before work (if I work at night). I don't usually look pretty at school because I wear my gym clothes to my first class and then usually go home to change but I feel great because I went and worked out.
  • Jscheu1
    Jscheu1 Posts: 10
    Options

You make sacrifices, be it waking up earlier, working out during lunch periods, or sacrificing your social time.

At some point, you will want it bad enough that it will become more important than whatever else it is that is somehow preventing you from working out.
    \\\\

Could not agree more....If you think about it anything you REALLY want dont you find time? dont you make sure you fulfill your desire to get that? same thing here...And time really is an easy thing to work around. I do not have a license at the moment and I got to school monday and wednesady 7am- 4pm and work monday-saturday 4-10:30. When do I workout? I wake up at 540 in the morning and go to the gym, then the other days I will wake up early do HW and go to the gym before work. theres 24 hours in a day, if you want it you will find 1/24th of a day x amount of times a week to get in the gym.
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options

well said!!!!
  • maryloo2011
    maryloo2011 Posts: 446
    Options

agreed 100%.

Used to work out after work, but that cut into time that the husband and I would get to spend together, even if it was at max 1.5 hours (getting home at 6:30pm which is NOT absurd). I still think his argument is ridiculous because if I was working at the office that late and getting home at that time, wouldn't be an issue. However, marriage is a compromise.

Turns out I LOVELOVELOVE working out before work, it just took time and a couple weeks to get used to it. Hubs is sleeping so he doesn't miss "our" time together... the only thing he sacrifices is that I cannot hang out as late as I used to. I'm typically in bed by 10:30/11pm and up and out the door by 5:30am the latest. And I stick to that. Get my **** done before work, feel great and energized the rest of the day.

It's all about balance and priorities. While you can ask for opinions here on the forum you need to ultimately experiment and see what works for you. What's your schedule like, can you get to the gym or rec center in between classes...?
  • Storey621
    Storey621 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips and motivation. Everything you guys have said really helps.
  • Iamjulez
    Iamjulez Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You have to squeeze it in. I work full time (2 jobs), married and have 2 young kids to take care of. Plus, my husband works fulltime and is in college part time (so I have to work around his schedule as well).

Ask your husband to go walking with you or running with you? Or be in the same room with him and do push ups, squats, lunges, etc. If the problem is not the time as much as motivation then you really have to want it to motivate yourself... my thing has always been visual motivation... pictures of women with the kind of body I'm shooting for, etc. :)

Visualize the goals and visualize yourself reaching them by (fill in the blank. I used to do this when I was running on a treadmill).
  • ashleyaelizabeth
    Options
    You don't have to make sacrifices , incorporate it . I am a busy mom of two one with heart cond , I run the house my day starts at 5 am with my two month old and ends at 1 am with my 1 year old .... I clean the house with my kids in slings and make sure I don't stop moving all day unless I have to . You can do it just find small things you can do to make that little extra impact . :)
  • globalbreeze
    Options
    That's why I bought Beach Body's 10 minute trainer. Worked 12-13 hour days and I didn't have time for 60 minute workouts. Now I have a bit of a different schedule, but equally demanding and I always manage to fit in at least one of the workouts in every day. The other thing I found easy to do is workouts on my Xbox Kinect.
  • J3SSP3NNY
    J3SSP3NNY Posts: 235
    Options

^^^This
  • christenwypy
    christenwypy Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    you could get up an hour or half hour earlier and do a workout.
  • Kylie_Jones_2011
    Options
    Work full time, college full time, plus married. PLUS the one who cooks most of the dinners, does most of the cleaning, etc.

I'm the same way. I just try to go at least an hour a day 5 days a week. Even if it's simply a workout video at home to get my heart rate up. Just plan out your schedule to make time! Ask Logan to go on a walk with you, or a bike ride. There are a lot of fun trails along the mountain that you can walk/run/hike on. Preston goes with me sometimes. Just text me ANYTIME! I will always do stuff with you when I can! There's a running trail right by my house you can always come over and run with me! I also have p90x, an elliptical, and some videos you could come do! Just way when :) it gets easier. I usually hate working out for a couple weeks straight and dread it, but it gets easier after I just force myself to go! Hang in there!