What makes some people stink.....?

Options

Replies

• AZnewme
    AZnewme Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I remember a friend of my husbands who just always had this "smell" and when he got sweaty it was worse. I know he was immaculate with his hygene (he would take three showers a day!). Found out later he had a minral defficiency - i believe it was zinc - he smells "normal" now.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    When people cake on the perfume or body spray is when I get pissed.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    There is actually a name for it. If it's not caused by someone's failure to practice personal hygiene, it could be bromhidrosis. Here's a copy I found. I actually learned about this back in the 70s when I was taking an anatomy class. Go figure.

"Bromhidrosis, also known as bromidrosis or body odor, is a common phenomenon in postpubertal individuals. In rare cases, bromhidrosis may become pathologic if it is particularly overpowering or if the bromhidrosis significantly interferes with the lives of the affected individuals. Bromhidrosis is a chronic condition in which excessive odor, usually an unpleasant one, emanates from the skin. Bromhidrosis, determined largely by apocrine gland secretion, can substantially impair a person's quality of life. "
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those stinky people but I don't go to a gym. I actually have to shower before I work out otherwise I can't stand to smell myself.:sick: I think I sweat too much at night, not sure. I would NEVER subject someone to it and if a person working out thinks they are the only one who can smell it, they are kidding themselves. Use antibacterial soap people and if ya stink, shower before going into a closed building to sweat! It doesn't take that much time.
  • Benson19
    Benson19 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It also has been known that diabetics and certain kidney problems can lead to people having stronger odors that they can't help. Certain prescription drugs can also effect your smell.
  • anraq13
    anraq13 Posts: 16
    Options
    it could be ketones. That will make you smell funky, like chicken noodle soup. No joke
    Or hormones make some people smell. When I was pregnant, or after having my children I had to use the Clinical Strength deoderant
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I put deoderant on before going to the gym out of respect for those around me. My hair, however... I don't mess with so often I look like Doctor Rockso the rock and roll clown on weekend mornings.
  • mhankosk
    mhankosk Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    Do you know how hard it is to try to hold in a fart while working on an elliptical?!?!?!!?

I try to hold it in SO bad...but thankfully I'll work out by creepy old men and I'm sure people blame it on them if it slips....bwahaha

I absolutely 100% agree with this! LOL.
  • ashlielinn
    ashlielinn Posts: 920
    Options
    When people cake on the perfume or body spray is when I get pissed.

^Agreed. If you smell like sweat, fine. I'm at the gym, and I expect you to smell like you're at the gym, too. BUT if you get on the treadmill next to me smelling like an entire field of poppies, causing me to have an allergy attack, THEN I have a problem!
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    On the topic of bad breath, it may not be the person's fault. I used to have really bad breath, no matter how much I brushed or gargled. Then I had sinus surgery, which cleared out the many folds in my sinuses and the infections I had. The more folds, the more bacteria or whatever can grow. Sinus wash may help, but I didn't know about that at the time. Also, when you're on a diet, your breath can definitely smell worse than normal.
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    As a previously stinky person at the gym who used to avoid using the equipment next to people, i use white vinegar to kill the bacteria expecially in the armpits of my workout gear once a month and it works :) it's like wearing a fresh outfit just soak the item in a bowl for a bit then wash as normal :bigsmile:

This is a great idea...my older workout clothes def have a smell that I thought i would never remove. Also, I've been trying to remove smells from my husbands softball gear and work clothes....he's so used to the smell he hardly notices LOL!
  • melg126
    melg126 Posts: 378
    Options
    This is not meant to be mean or accusatory to anyone, but I was at the gym tonight and the guy on the elliptical next to me really smelled of B.O. - Bad. What makes some people smell worse than others when they sweat? More importantly, do the people that smell KNOW that they smell?! Could I smell and not know it?! (I'm pretty sure I don't...I'm pretty compulsive about hygiene and always wear deodorant and body spray...but who knows)

I don't know about at the gym I try to ignore it there because I am sweating also.

But dangggg my one manager stinks like rotten onions. I want to hurl everytime I go into his office. I wonder how the hell his wife doesn't tell him to take a shower. :grumble:
  • xxxhelenaxxx
    xxxhelenaxxx Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Do you know how hard it is to try to hold in a fart while working on an elliptical?!?!?!!?

I try to hold it in SO bad...but thankfully I'll work out by creepy old men and I'm sure people blame it on them if it slips....bwahaha

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhaHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i'm laughing so hard my tummy is hurting!! i wonder if that counts as calories burned?

seriously though, for some reason, it totally is hard to hold it in on an elliptical! BWHAHAHA!
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I kind of expect people at the gym to smell of BO a bit. Unacceptable smells at the gym, however, are farts, food, and tobacco.

Totally agree with food and tobacco - also would add body spray/perfume. When I do hot yoga I sweat a lot and I can smell myself but my hubby always says I don't smell when I ask him. Maybe he's just being nice....
  • msudaisy28
    msudaisy28 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    As a previously stinky person at the gym who used to avoid using the equipment next to people, i use white vinegar to kill the bacteria expecially in the armpits of my workout gear once a month and it works :) it's like wearing a fresh outfit just soak the item in a bowl for a bit then wash as normal :bigsmile:

Its ok to put the white vinegar right into the wash water with the soap. That works too.

I almost always put some white vinegar in the washing machine. Takes care of the sweat smells as well as mildew smells on towels or wash clothes. So cheap too!
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    At my last spinning class the man in front of me was seriously smelly. it was obvious that he hadn't showered that day because fresh sweat doesnt smell like that. also at one particularly energetic part of the session his top rode up and i noticed he was wrapped in cling film, yes ok they say that encourages sweat and weight loss but YUK! surely thats even more reason to shower more often ??
  • a_new_dawn
    a_new_dawn Posts: 517 Member
    Options

LOL!!!
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I kind of expect people at the gym to smell of BO a bit. Unacceptable smells at the gym, however, are farts, food, and tobacco.

Excluding the bathroom, I'm pretty sure farts are unacceptable everywhere.
    I'm laughing hysterically btw.
  • usc2626
    usc2626 Posts: 186
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • hanna6774
    hanna6774 Posts: 225
    Options
    Not so much the sweat thing, but I have noticed that since I started eating "clean", my ahem...."poofs" we'll call them, are horrible. No sneaky silent types for me any more! Some one told me the whey protein and egg whites contribute to that. Anyone else have the same problem?:blushing:

I'm definitely staying away from an elliptical, I'd probably kill that poor old man!!!