Women with PCOS... two questions?

Options
2»

Replies

• misty5976
    misty5976 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    bumping this to read later. Im at work right now, but I also have PCOS and severe endometriosis and losing weight is a real struggle for me. the PCOS makes it difficult to lose... but the endo makes me hurt and in pain so often that sticking with exercise is so hard. many times i've pushed through and exercised with tears running down my face because my abdomen is just screaming in pain. :(

one recommendation - insulin plays a key factor for me. I picked up a book called the insulin resistant diet and it talks about BALANCING your carbs and proteins ... i havent finished it yet but think I may give this a try.
  • dortress
    dortress Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

But EVERYONE loses weight on Metformin ;)
    [/quote]

No. Not everyone. It's inconsistent and depends on the patient. I've been on it for 1 year now and at best, have lost 10 lbs. And I work out like crazy.
  • Amiholm
    Amiholm Posts: 2
    Options
    I didn't lose weight on metformin....
  • EAlexandraB
    EAlexandraB Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, and have lost weight while on the pill. I'm not on metformin as it does nothing for me but make me nauseated. I do not do low-carb - I have my macros set to 40/30/30, and try to meet them as closely as possible.

For me, portion control and clean eating, weight training, and HIIT have done the trick.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options

[/quote]

No. Not everyone. It's inconsistent and depends on the patient. I've been on it for 1 year now and at best, have lost 10 lbs. And I work out like crazy.
    [/quote]

Neither did I. I think it only really helps if you're insulin resistant.
  • vanessa194
    vanessa194 Posts: 77 Member
    Options

[/quote]

[/quote]

maybe your dosage needs to be increased .. i started at 500 mg and now at 1000 mg .. and i have to say it has helped me in my weight loss journey ..
  • marinturner
    marinturner Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been struggling with my PCOS and my weight for years. I have found that I do not need to go on a low carb diet to lose weight, but I do need to cut back on carbs. 1/3rd the pasta that I would have and fill int he rest of my meal with veggies or lean meat. Also, I try not to eat them at night ( after 7ish ) or I wake up feeling puffy and "hung over". I have never gone on the pill so I cant speak to that. It may make it harder, but as long as you stick with it... you'll get there.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

I guess you don't understand the joke with the caps + winky face. You must be new to the internet.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Never been on the pill... but low carb is the only thing that has ever worked.
    What I mean by that is, no bad carbs -- like white bread, rice etc... I get plenty of carbs from quinoa and other grains.
    I also eat gluten free -- and try to avoid cheese.
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I can’t answer the pill question that isn’t an issue for me.
    I started the low carb eating kicking and screaming!! I was already exercising so just upped that and change it up periodically.
    If I don’t do low carb I don’t lose I will gain. I have been successful in losing almost 45 pounds in 9 months with a 3 month plateau.
    I am happy to do low carb now with occasional cheats, but when I do I pay for it now from the carb overload I get.
    I also feel better, I look better, my hair and skin are better than ever before.. I won’t go back even once I get to goal which is another 20-25 pounds.
    Good luck
  • StephanieCoiro
    Options
    Actually, I can lose weight on the pill without a problem, me being off the Pill (which I am staying off) has caused the issues! I start my lifestyle overhaul tomorrow I will keep you posted!
  • erinxo13
    erinxo13 Posts: 892 Member
    Options
    I have been just going with what MFP has set me as calories go. I haven't been using a low cal diet. I am on Alesse (after changing and trying several different brands) and I don't think its making a difference...but I have been on it since before I started changing my eating habits and exercising (which I never did before). I think everyone is different...wish I could help more...but if you have any other questions or whatever feel free to add me.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Been on the pill since the beginning. I've had no issues with it...

Also I've paid LITTLE attention to carbs. I do take my Metformin, but that's it...
  • veggiesaurus15
    veggiesaurus15 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I lost over 80 pounds eating a whole food, plant based diet. I eat tons of fruit and vegetables including potatoes. I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 21. I was on the pill for a few months prior to changing my diet, but am not on anything now.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and have lost about 50 lbs so far ( in 5 months). I initially was taking metformin, but don't know if that helped. I have continued to lose weight even without taking metformin now. I am on the generic Yaz (gianvi) and eat btwn 1200-1400 cal/day, and exercise. No real restriction on carbs, but I do control portion and make smarter choices!
  • kbairdphillips
    kbairdphillips Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I don't take the pill, so I can't answer that question.

And as far as carbs go, I think its good to cut back. I have cut back and then broke through a plateau and am also losing more weight each week. I usually eat 15-20% carbs 3 days per week, 35% Carbs 3 days per week and then I have one day where I don't pay such close attention to the nutrition and just watch my calories. You just have to find what works for you. I like to switch it up throughout the week just because I find it hard doing the same thing every day.

Good Luck to you!
  • llemmingtron
    llemmingtron Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I acquired PCOS last year and decided to take better care of myself. I take peony/licorice and worked out 5x/week cardio only. I recently began weights. I lost 40 pounds last year. I am now shedding hair so I'm not sure what's up with that, and also I have plateau'd on my weight loss. Never taken BC and am not on anything else.
  • kazzsjourney
    kazzsjourney Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I dont take the pill and have lost 182 pounds with PCOS...i also dont take metformin. In relation to carbs i dont do carb free but as a general rule try and have one grain free meal per day (usually dinner) and try and eat little processed foods. Feel free to add me if you want :)