how do you start weight training?

Options
ive been reading so many success stories that say that they weight train. ive only ever done cardio... when i get down to a healthier weight id be be interested in starting some kind of weight training. but i know nothing about it....

where would i start? does anyone have any good websites where i could learn more.... thanks xxx

Replies

• dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    www.startingstrenght.com

www.stronglifts.com

Or a lot of people recommend the book New Rules Of Lifting for Women

There are others but I am drawing a blank right now.
  • New_Keeley
    New_Keeley Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I've just started lifting and had (still have) no real idea of what I'm doing just that I want a bit more muscle! I don't want to be a bodybuilder so am not interested in eating 17 chicken breasts for breakfast or drinking raw egg whites I just want a little less body fat and a bit more lean muscle. If my diet has to alter then fine as long as it's not extreme!

I asked the guys at the gym, told them my aims/goals and they have put a programme together for me that will be reviewed every 6weeks.

I found the info on the web really confusing, the PT's at the gym were really helpful though.

If you go to a gym ask them for some help.

(I will check out those sites that have been posted above though ;-) )
  • mummma
    mummma Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    thankyou ;)
  • cindylou_21
    Options
    Same goes for me. I have pretty much reached my goal weight. I do some arm curls (5 lb weights) and I'm up to around 60 reps on my ab roller, but I have no idea what else to do....I will be watching this thread as well...:tongue:
  • estherwhetstone
    estherwhetstone Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    go to nerdfitness.com, that site is loaded with awesome info! I'm just doing bodyweight exercises right now, 3 days a week and it's awesome!!
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of information and programs to follow
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. If you want a real strength training program tailored to your needs and goals, spend some time with a personal trainer. It's made a tremendous difference for me and was well worth the money.

9114468.png

Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it!
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Body by Design and New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women are good places to start. I would encourage you to start lifting right away, don't wait because you think you need to slim down first. You would be AMAZED at what heavy lifting and a healthy, balanced diet will do for you in terms of fat loss.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Personally I would advise a few sessions with a personal trainer - and then you can get going on your own.....it is really important to learn proper form, but also to have someone to help you understand that you can actually lift heavier than you think...

And don't wait - there is no reason for you not to start now - I started at 330lbs!!
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilding.com has a lot of information and programs to follow

Following a program at first is the best way... I agree with the recommendation above :)
  • ablykins
    ablykins Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Advice is worth exactly what you pay for it. If you want a real strength training program tailored to your needs and goals, spend some time with a personal trainer. It's made a tremendous difference for me and was well worth the money.

Just wanted to say I agree with this and certainly would encourage anyone looking into a lifting program to invest in at least a few sessions with a QUALIFIED personal trainer with a track record of producing successful clients. I work with a high successful trainer in my area and it has made all the difference. If you make the commitment to weight loss, the money you save by eliminating fast food, junk food, soda, and alcohol can easily pay for at least a few sessions with a personal trainer.
  • _HeathBar_
    _HeathBar_ Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I just started strength training a few weeks ago. I read New Rule of Weight Lifting for Women to get some good information about lifting in general.

I decided not to use the workout plan in NROWL and started Stronglifts 5x5 instead. It's so easy and straightforward, I love it!

We have a group for women doing this program. Check it out!
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/4618-stronglifts-5x5-for-women
  • jrsey86
    jrsey86 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • msps1973
    msps1973 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have been using Jackie Warner's DVD's. These will tone you but you won't get bulky. The rountines are low weight and high reps with some cardio mixed in. I use these beacuse I don't have a gym membership and can workout at home. My arms look amazing as do my shoulders and back. And I am slowly losing inches on my legs. And I have been able to increase my weight. I actually need to go buy some 15 and 20 lb dumbells :) My 2 faves are One-on-one training and Power Circuit Training.

This is NOT hard core lifting!! It works for me and I enjoy yelling at the tv!!!! However, if you have never lifted it is best to go to a gym and learn proper form so you don't injure yourself.
  • Emagali74
    Emagali74 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    when i get down to a healthier weight id be be interested in starting some kind of weight training. but i know nothing about it....

I'd advise you to rethink this. Please don't wait until you reach a "healthier weight". Losing weight without doing any strength training means you are losing muscle mass and tone in the process. Start the strength training now, and you'll retain more muscle, even if you can't see it properly yet.
  • carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    www.startingstrength.com

www.stronglifts.com

Or a lot of people recommend the book New Rules Of Lifting for Women

^^^This. And bodybuilding.com has great videos to show you how to do the exercises. :)
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DDBeard
    DDBeard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat as you mummma.

Thanks everyone for sharing!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    good answers, i'm going to be taking some advice too. already ordered the book 'new rule for lifting for woman', (not that it's came yet though). feel free to add me if you like and we could start together