Low cal, filling, pile your plate up foods?

Options
I'm a week in to 1,200 cal and still hungry. Probably my brain playing tricks on me.

My problem is, I love a big portion of food and if I have a little portion, I feel hard done by!

So - are there any tasty, low cal foods? eg. sweet potato?

The best meal I have found at the moment is turkey, veg and brow pasta (only a little) Colemans bake with some low fat cheese on top.

Any ideas?

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Finely dice a couple of streaky bacon rashers and fry without added oil in a large wok.
    When lightly browned add in 60g of fine beans cut into 1cm lengths. Cook stirring constantly for a couple of minutes.
    Add half a head of savoy cabbage finely shredded and cook again for a couple of minutes.
    Add a dash of boiling water to steam off the veg. Once water is evaporated it's cooked!

Serve with protein of your choice, my current fav is fresh pan fried haddock fillet. I usually fry in Fry Light one cal spray.

This is a huge plate of food especially if you do a little plain mashed sweet potato on the side.

ETA: I had this exact meal on Tuesday with 150g of boiled sweet potato which I mashed. It totalled 385 calories, 41g of carbs, 7g of fat, 41g of protein and 11g of fibre.
  • pinkjellybaby
    pinkjellybaby Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Finely dice a couple of streaky bacon rashers and fry without added oil in a large wok.
    When lightly browned add in 60g of fine beans cut into 1cm lengths. Cook stirring constantly for a couple of minutes.
    Add half a head of savoy cabbage finely shredded and cook again for a couple of minutes.
    Add a dash of boiling water to steam off the veg. Once water is evaporated it's cooked!

Serve with protein of your choice, my current fav is fresh pan fried haddock fillet. I usually fry in Fry Light one cal spray.

This is a huge plate of food especially if you do a little plain mashed sweet potato on the side.

ETA: I had this exact meal on Tuesday with 150g of boiled sweet potato which I mashed. It totalled 385 calories, 41g of carbs, 7g of fat, 41g of protein and 11g of fibre.

Thanks, this sounds nice! Will give it a try.
  • Shellza
    Shellza Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    bump for recipe :)
  • Nutrition1975
    Options
    These are so yummy one of my favorites - quinoa and black bean lettuce wraps

http://keepyourdietreal.com/food/appetizerssnacks/quinoa-and-black-bean-lettuce-wraps/

Here is another salad that I love - I use feta instead of goat cheese

http://www.healthygreenkitchen.com/strawberry-almond-and-goat-cheese-salad.html
  • artcat742
    Options
    Feta is goat cheese ;-)
  • bio_fit
    bio_fit Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Feta is goat cheese ;-)

Not quite - feta is usually made with sheep's milk, or in some cases a combination of sheep and goat. If we're talking 'proper' Greek feta anyway!
  • frankiesats
    frankiesats Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    If i'm hungry I stock up on the low calorie vegetables - tinned carrots are about 26calories for the whole can, brussels, cabbage, broccoli etc. You can pile these foods up with protein like chicken etc. :)
  • Hev_uk
    Hev_uk Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a side salad with almost every meal. I pile half my plate with leaves which usually only adds about 20 cals, then perhaps a tomato for another 20 cals and anything else I have. Then I serve my protein with a sauce which acts as a salad dressing. A low cal dressing would also work and not add too much. This way I can still fill my plate but with adding very few calories and it helps towards getting my 5 a day of fruit and veg
  • kellybean14
    kellybean14 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    i like making pasta primavera with loads of broccoli, bell pepper, tomato, zucchini, yellow squash, etc., and skimping on the noodles.
  • salzej01
    salzej01 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    Broccoli (2 cups isn't that many calories). Side Salad with fat free dressing. Stirfry peppers and onions with a bit of Red Hot Sauce.
  • SwimTheButterfly
    SwimTheButterfly Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Bump:flowerforyou:
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    These are so yummy one of my favorites - quinoa and black bean lettuce wraps

http://keepyourdietreal.com/food/appetizerssnacks/quinoa-and-black-bean-lettuce-wraps/

Bump for this recipe! Yum!! Thanks:-)
  • superstankazz
    Options
    Try making stir fry with an entire bag of broccoli slaw and some ground white meat chicken. You can have a heaping plate of that for next to nothing. I tried 1200 calories for a week and was miserable and hungry the entire time. Good luck with the 1200 calorie thing.
  • rmrosen83
    rmrosen83 Posts: 12
    Options
    Spaghetti squash! We will have an enormous plate with sauteed mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, and low sodium pasta sauce. We even top it with fresh parm and the whole heaping plate is around 220 calories!
  • Devlyn_P
    Devlyn_P Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Spinach and Feta Egg White Omelets all day long.
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I love to pile my plate up with steamed veggies!!
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I use huge piles of broccoli or spinach with turmeric and cumin mixed in. Low cal and tasty and feels almost curry like...
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Lots of non-starchy veggies - salads, soups, etc. The person that mentioned cabbage, it's a good, filling veggie with little calories!
  • Genie30
    Genie30 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bump!