Which calories to use?

Options
Hi. I'm cooking salmon - 292gram. Going to eat half tonight and half tomorrow. Now the packet says 100gram is 235 calories. But if I enter 146 gram (half) into MFP, it comes up with 159 calories. According to the packet the salmon came in, it should be about 335 calories, give or take a few.
Which one should I use? That is quite a difference. Thanks.

Replies

• joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Go with the one on the packet. MFP is 90% wrong with it's calorie estimations because people entering them are a clueless at best.
  • sweetpea7441
    sweetpea7441 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Darn! I better start paying more attention to the packaging then, I've been taking what MFP says as the 100% truth.... :-)
  • ElizmaKnowles
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, get the app and use the scanner function (for barcode) when adding your food - that is how I have built up my foods that I use regularly and know that it's accurate. I find the array of choices on the MFP database confusing at times.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Go with the one on the packet. MFP is 90% wrong with it's calorie estimations because people entering them are a clueless at best.

Absolutely this ^^

I would certainly go with the packaging more- MFP does have some accurate calorie counts for the once entered by MFP (the ones without astericks) but the majority are flawed due to user error.
  • Teko03
    Teko03 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you have an iPhone, get the app and use the scanner function (for barcode) when adding your food - that is how I have built up my foods that I use regularly and know that it's accurate. I find the array of choices on the MFP database confusing at times.

This. I do this with my Windows Phone (I'm sure Android has this functionality as well). I use the MFP estimate only when I absolutely have to, otherwise I scan the bar code & choose the correct serving amount.
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Yep.