Soap at the gym?

Options
AlsDonkBoxSquat
AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
Just curious what other gym's policies are on soap. So when my gym first opened a few years ago they had those dispensers in the showers, and then they stopped filling them regularly, and then they fell off the walls. Once they fell down they started providing liquid soap in pumps in the shower, so far I'm all good with this. Then the pumps in the showers disappeared, so people (including myself) just grabbed a pump off the counters by the sinks and took those into the showers. A hand written sign appeard by the sinks "Please do not remove hair dryers, lotions, or soaps. Thank you - management." I read that to mean from the locker room. This morning I saw this little gem posted on the wall between the locker rooms (which means that this must be consistent with the men's room as well):

sign-1.jpg

I don't pay to be a memeber at this gym because I work there, but basically everyone else does. I have never been in a locker room in a non-institutional (school or other organization related) gym and not had soap provided in the showers. I have actually very rarely been in an institutional affiliated gym and not had soap provided in the showers. So I'm curious, regardless of whether or not you take your own soap, soes your gym provide soap in the showers?

Replies

• brookepenni
    brookepenni Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Nope - my gym doesnt, neither does the work shower facilities.

But you have to take your own towel, razor, shampoo, conditioner, hairdryer and everything else - so whats the problem taking soap too??
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    My gym has soap dispensers on the wall in the shower. Stuff does not smell all that great but is much more convenient then remembering to pack my own soap.

I guess the problem they have with the soap disappearing from the sink must have to do with the health department, soap has to be provided at the sink.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    None of the gyms I have joined have ever provided soap for the showers. I would prefer to bring my own anyway.
  • PLV27
    PLV27 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My gym has soap dispensers on the wall of the showers, but I've never used them so I have no idea if they have soap in them or not. I prefer to bring my own...
  • Toddrific
    Toddrific Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    My gym has soap thingies in the walls of the showers, but I think they are empty.
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    We supply soap in the showers at my gym. The guys love it because it's convenient, but most of the ladies bring their own.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    WOw, I never knew gym showers had soap. :indifferent: Mine doesn't. Just buy a cheap plastic soap dish and bring it with you.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

But you have to take your own towel, razor, shampoo, conditioner, hairdryer and everything else - so whats the problem taking soap too??

I don't have to take my own hairdryer, they have 4 in each locker room. I do take my own towel, razor, shampoo, and conditioner (even though about 50% if the gyms I've been in also provide shampoo and conditioner). I'm just taken aback because in my experience this is the norm, and a convenience they provided before. I've forgotten and towel and gotten by just fine, I don't wash my hair every day, the only necessity I have for bathing really is soap, everything else is optional.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I've never been in the shower area. I workout after work, so I just go home and shower.... I'll check this evening, though and report back to you, because now I'm intrigued.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options

I don't have to take my own hairdryer, they have 4 in each locker room. I do take my own towel, razor, shampoo, and conditioner (even though about 50% if the gyms I've been in also provide shampoo and conditioner). I'm just taken aback because in my experience this is the norm, and a convenience they provided before. I've forgotten and towel and gotten by just fine, I don't wash my hair every day, the only necessity I have for bathing really is soap, everything else is optional.

well they provide you with water! Stop being so needy :laugh:
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My gym used to have liquid soap dispensers in the showers, but they removed them. Now I bring my own bottle of Dr. Bronner's castile soap. A little goes a long way, and it smells great.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    WOw, I never knew gym showers had soap. :indifferent: Mine doesn't. Just buy a cheap plastic soap dish and bring it with you.

I actually used to do this and still have the soap dish, but it got all juicy and started getting everything in my bag all slimed up so I stopped.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    None of the gyms I have joined have ever provided soap for the showers. I would prefer to bring my own anyway.

This! My gym doesn't provide it, but I doubt I would use it even if they did. I would imagine gym soap would be on the cheap side and make me smell weird and itchy. Plus since I have to bring all of my other shower essentials (shampoo, conditioner, razor etc) why not just bring soap as well?
  • Myndmelt
    Myndmelt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Yeah I never want to deal with the showers at my Gym but I would guess that since your bring you own shampoo, there is no soap available. The gym I go to does provide towels and stations with mirrors and hair dryers though. But I never use that part, mostly because I always go to the gym on a day off or after I'm done working so then I just go home afterwards.
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    It's been years since i've been to the gym. I don't know if the one I belonged to had them or not. I always worked out in the afternoons once I got off work. So I would just go right home and shower there. I think if I did, I would just take my little travel kit with me.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I always carry my own so I never noticed. I will look though

I'm a germ a phobe though and would never touch them. Hell after some of the stuff I've read on these boards, I've become a worse germ a phobe.. I even carry antibacterial wipes and lysol for the machines and toilets.. put fungal powder on my feet (even though I don't have fungus) because I'm convinced there's creepy crawly's that get past my shower shoes.. Matter of fact just this morning as I showered I was thinking of adding a antibacterial shower spray to the gym arsenal LOL!!

That's not OCD is it?? :huh:
  • SirZee
    SirZee Posts: 381
    Options
    Don't pick up the soap!!! Don't share soap!!

LOL, just kidding, couldn't resist
  • MissYogapants
    MissYogapants Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I've been a gym goer for 10 years and have been at _many_ gyms here in Sweden and soap/shampoo/anything has never been provided but is something each and everyone have to bring for themselves.

I know that at a few places, like in our capital Stockholm, you can pay insane amounts of money for a gym membership, and there they will provide you with both soap and a towel :)
  • DanZiehm
    DanZiehm Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Just buy a bottle or container similar to a shampoo bottle and fill it with liquid soap. This will keep things from getting "slimmy" in your bag.

Also, I am a member at Planet Fitness. They provide soap in a dispenser in the showers. It doesn't smell the greatest, but it is fine for washing off before heading back to work.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    nope