HRM - Polar Alternatives?

Options
2»

Replies

• Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    Had a Polar for years and it was always giving me issues. Finally made the switch to Garmin 2 months ago and couldn't be happier. I went with one with GPS, but they have others that don't. Love their website too!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Have you tried contacting Polar more than once? Sometimes it's just a matter of getting the right person on the phone - seems weird that they won't cover anything when it's still under warranty, and just say it's your fault. I don't have a Polar, but have seen other people rave about their customer service, so that just seems odd.

I have a New Balance N4. Can't compare it to anything else since it's the only one I've ever had. Lets you enter your height, weight, etc and seems to work well - I've had it over a year with no problems (replaced chest strap battery once), and burn seems accurate. They retail around $70, but I picked mine up on eBay (brand new) for $26.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Never had a problem with Polar but I do know Timex has a horrible reputation for giving over estimated calorie burns for women.
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Take a look at Suunto.

Yes, I have a Suunto M4 Heart Rate Monitor. It comes with a chest strap and it's as accurate as anything else on the market, if not more so. Mine stores workouts and also helps you track goals by taking an initial fitness test. It's simple to use with just 3 buttons and has a large digital display (still looks feminine -- comes in black with either pink or blue accents). It also give motivational messages throughout your workout and also throughout the day if you'd like it to.

Check it out, seriously. And their customer service is really awesome too.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I've been looking at the BodyMedia Fit --- I have an FT4 and have never had any trouble, but it's winter and putting a wet strap around my chest first thing in the morning is getting old FAST! I had a FitBit, too, but lost it, so I'd also really like something I can wear to monitor my sleep. The only thing that's stopping me is that monthly on-line access fee... I hate that!