Exercising on empty stomach

Options

Replies

• raider66cv
    Options
    Due to my work schedule, I workout during my lunch time. I'm usually in the office around 6:30 AM and immediately have a bowl of oatmeal and coffee. About 30 minutes before heading to the gym I usually grab a energy/protein bar and either eat 1/2 of all of it depending on how I feel. I noticed that if I don't eat anything prior to working out AND if it's a weight lifting day, I feel weaker and can't do my complete reps of 8-10. Anyhow, eating before strenuous exercise is my recommendation.
  • moochachip
    moochachip Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I find myself being able to do more reps and lifting heavier weights if I eat something light like a turkey wrap 30 minutes to an hour before working out.
  • leahnoelle31
    leahnoelle31 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I don't eat before my weekday workouts (at 5am, usually up to an hour long) but I do eat and have coffee at least 1 hour before my long runs on the weekend (at least 8 miles). During the week I just eat after I shower.
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I thought fasted cardio is okay to do but if lifting weights you should have something to eat beforehand.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I think all exercise should be done on an empty stomach. If there is no food in your system your body has no choice but to use what's already there. This is why I love Intermittent Fasting.

It doesn't matter if you eat anything before or after. Some people have "bonked" while lifting in a fasted state. But I think as long as you don't over-do it, it's fine.

Digestion requires quite a bit of energy. And if you over-do it, you'll shut down your digestive system (while it's still digesting) while your body deals with the stress of the exercise (remember that exercise is stress and the body treats all stress the same).
  • chrishgt4
    chrishgt4 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are after really

If you just want to lose fat then go for it.

If you're wanting to increase muscle at the same time, then I'd say that by not eating beforehand you probably aren't going to have the energy to push as hard as you should/could.
    I want to lose more belly fat. I look pregnant..... and I'm not! I have been eating better and exercising for about 2 weeks now and have lost 3 pounds. I have to say, I'm impatient! I don't do hardcore workouts. I have no endurance for that. So I do Leslie Sansone's walk at home dvds. I have noticed a difference in my thighs and my belly has gone down a bit BUT I want to lose more weight from my workouts.

"I don't do hardcore workouts. I have no endurance for that."

You don't either have or not have endurance. You can gain it - by doing. If you never push yourself you won't progress.

Looking good is hard work.
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I thought fasted cardio is okay to do but if lifting weights you should have something to eat beforehand.

I was thinking that too! :)
  • chris1529
    chris1529 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to lose more fat but at the same time, I want to get toned. I'm thinking that I can fast for cardio but not for strength training. And by the way, I read that we should wait 30 mins after a workout to eat something cause our bodies are still in fat burning mode and if we eat right after working out than it slows that down. Anyone else heard that as well??
  • signgrrrl
    signgrrrl Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I also exercise in the morning. I ate ONCE before the workout. Did not go over very well with my tummy. It works out better for me to wait untill after.
  • rbjcksn
    rbjcksn Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 30mins on the treadmill on a morning before work 2 times a week for the past 4 weeks. First few times I felt totally wrecked afterwards. Gotten used to it now, alternating the days really shocks me on a morning and feel pretty good afterwards. Having a "can-do" and determined attitude really helps though!
  • suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I was wanting to lose more fat but at the same time, I want to get toned. I'm thinking that I can fast for cardio but not for strength training. And by the way, I read that we should wait 30 mins after a workout to eat something cause our bodies are still in fat burning mode and if we eat right after working out than it slows that down. Anyone else heard that as well??

I've heard that too - wait 30 mins to an hour.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,282 Member
    Options
    I try to have something that won't sit heavy in my stomach. Usually a smoothie of some sort (I really like the different Bolthouse Farms varieties) or MAYBE a small banana if I wake up hungry. More then that, and I get so sick to my stomach during my workout and struggle. If I try to do nothing, then I feel faint and struggle. It's about finding that balance so I can get through my workout.

Then again, I am not much of a breakfast eater. Never have been. The thought of food that early makes me a bit sick feeling actually.
  • MrsHutcho9988
    Options
    I have to eat if I dont I will pass out (learned it the hard way) I am doing Insanity tho and it is very hard and intense, especially for someone my size. I am never hungry when I first wake up. I usually eat 2 hours after Im officially awake, so its common for me to have a banana for breakfast and make up for it with lunch. I dont work out in the morning though, I workout about 30 minutes after I eat my lunch. Workout for an hour, and then drink my recovery shake. :)
  • cyberskirt
    cyberskirt Posts: 218
    Options
    I can not work out after eating, I basically feel like throwing up the whole time.

I find for me the best time to work out is first thing when I wake up (within the first 2 hours). But I exercise better on little to nothing in my stomach.

When I eat I feel 'weighted' and it pretty much makes me feel sick as I 'bounce' around.
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I used to exercise on an empty stomach but I find that my burns are substantially higher when I have a carb (toast, muffin, etc) before I workout.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    calories in vs calories out.... So I don't really think it makes a difference if you do it on an empty stomach or not. I haven't researched it or anything, but I don't think it would make any big difference. I personally get light headed/weak and unable to have as good of a workout if I don't eat something beforehand and it's morning. If I eat a banana I am good to go.
  • lorenzoinlr
    lorenzoinlr Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    For the lean trying to get very lean (15% body fat or less for men, 22% or less for women), various strategies, including fasted cardio are probably going to be required to offset the mobization and blood flow defects. That’s why that specific group found decades ago that fasted morning cardio worked best. And why I wrote The Stubborn Fat Solution since it deals with how to overcome all of the problems.

But for folks who aren’t that lean yet, the folks in the middle range of body fat levels, it really doesn’t matter. The best time to do cardio will be whenever it will most consistently get done. If that’s first thing in the morning, fantastic. If not, also fantastic. It’s more important in this situation that it gets done than when it gets done.

Again, for the extremely obese, different strategies entirely are required but, again that would take a full article to address so I won’t talk about it here.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/fasted-cardio-and-fat-loss-qa.html

Good link, thanks. Fasting may be fine for cardio but for heavy weights, given the point of it, I would think one might want to have the benefit of some food fuel.
  • natachan
    natachan Posts: 149
    Options
    As to which burns more it really doesn't matter. It could be argued that having eaten something and doing cardio before *cough* "voiding" it could increase caloric burn since there is increased weight in your system and would take more energy to move, but the difference would be negligible.

Personally, I like to have had something to eat but not directly before exercising. Yesterday I tried going without anything in my stomach and I felt nauseous. I ate something and immediately my stomach quieted and I was able to do some weights. For me, it works best if I have something light in my stomach (say a banana). If it's too heavy then I get lazy.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If I workout, I prefer not to eat with food in my gut. Different things works for everyone....
  • muffingone69
    Options
    DOING CARDIO ON AN EMPTY STOMACH IS BETTER! So if you can do it, you will burn more Fat in less time!

Here's why simply put:
    When you work out on an empty stomach, your body burns the fat for energy. It basically doesn't have any food to "go to" for the energy. The result is burning fat from the minute you start your workout!

IF you eat anything (Healthy or not) your body will "Use" the food you just had for energy instead of burning your fat. So in essence, you will have to work out longer to burn the food you just had to "finally" start burning the fat in your body! simply put, it can take about an extra 30+ minutes of workout time to get past the meal you had an start "burning" the fat in your body.

After your workout you can make a protein shake! it works!! Good luck to all!

IMPORTANT! DON'T WEIGHT TRAIN ON AN EMPTY STOMACH! That's all muscle training and it requires energy! some carbs and protein (or a protein shake) 1-2 hrs. before a workout is great! I take a "Pre-workout" drink that fules energy into my muscles and body.....I love it, it's called "EXTEND" pre-workout catalyst by Scavion. There's many other types as well that are great! but this one tastes great and can be mixed into a bottle of water!