Martial Arts

Options
2»

Replies

• patwil73
    patwil73 Posts: 28
    Options
    I have taken 4 different types of martial arts (Tae Kwon Do - Chen Tai Chi - Kung Fu - Akido). All were when I was much younger but I would love to get back in them. Each style has different things to recommend it (so here are mine)

Tae Kwon Do (took as a teenage, rank of black belt) - Very good for flexibility, strong cardio workout, great for discipline which carries over to other parts of your life, lots and lots of schools so if one doesn't suit you there will be another usually close by. They have a lot of tournaments which are very exciting to go watch and participate in. Full contact no stop sparring is one of the most draining exercises I have ever done.

Some of the downfalls include - it is hard on the knees and joints. If you have any problems with these parts of your body take it slow to get used to the movements. Most schools I went to had a barefoot policy (you couldn't wear shoes). My feet don't develop caluses, they just crack unless I moisterize them often so being barefoot is often painful for me.

Tai Chi (took in college for 4 years) - Movements are often very slow and graceful but done correctly they work almost every part of your body hard. It is wonderful for balance. Depending on where you live you might be able to do it in a park.

Downfalls include - it doesn't look like it would really exercise you, which if you are not doing it correctly it doesn't - so people can often become discouraged. Learning is more difficult as often you are watching the instructor lead you and the rest of the class throught the form. We often had experienced students in front and back so no matter which way you turned you saw someone who was doing it correctly.

Kung Fu (4 years in college too) - great for flexibilty and core strength. I personally found the moves and forms more beautiful than Tae Kwon Do because they appeared more exotic to me. Great for self-defense and an excellent cardio workout when going full steam.

Downfalls include - Difficult to always find a good school. The whip like motions used can be hard on the joints as well as the locks used. So many different styles that often going from one to another can mean starting all over (my instructor did a combination of styles which was really neat).

Akido (few months in my early 30's) - great discipline, good self defense, neat if you like moving people with little effort.

Downfalls - wasn't a great cardio workout for me (might have been the school), the falls are hard on your bones until you learn to do it properly.

I loved martial growing up and really should get around to joining again. . .Pulling up another page to search for schools in 3. . 2. . .
  • Murdog
    Murdog Posts: 70
    Options
    I've studies the Songham system of TKD since 1994. I know about the "jumping" situation. However, I never was a good jumper, therefore, didn't get into it in sparring. It's good to see that there are so many martial artists here. I haven't trained in a school since 2004. So, train on my own. Like anything else, it's tough to stay motivated and keep going.

I've been on again/off again every since. hopefully, we can motivate eachother to keep training.

Have a good day everybody!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I grew up watching Bruce Lee,so when I got out of the military I found the closest Martial Arts School which was an American TaeKwonDo school. I trained there for a year and a half, got my first degree black belt in 6 months(lots of double belt testing), and my trainee instructor collar. I moved and 12 years later began training in BJJ, Muay Thai,Kick boxing, boxing, grappling etc...
    In an earlier post someone wrote, I dont want to look silly or stupid, remember this:
    1)You probably felt the same when you started working out for the first time
    2) Everyone has to start somewhere at some level
    3) It doesnt matter what they think, are you having fun, are you enjoying what your doing?

One of the biggest things I have found, in all the martial arts I have trained, is that if students check their ego at the door, the classes are a hundred times better. Occasionalyy someone walks in and has to prove how tough they are. It is unfortunate but it happens. Dont worry about them, they wont last long, they have no discipline or honor. If you have fun during your class, if you learn from your mistakes, if you put fort hall your effort to your goals, then who cares what anyone else does. The workouts we do absolutely kill me, and I make tons of mistakes, I learn though, and I try harder. When I drive home, I dont care or even think about what so and so thought about me, I am smiling because I just survived one heck of a workout, I can tell my cardio is coming back around, I feel great, I am more confident, I am happy and I have learned something new and cant wait to go back and learn more....If you have that attitude, find a school, take a few free lessons, have fun and learn...oh and you will be getting in tremendous shape while you learn and have fun...kinda an added bonus!