camping food ideas please

Options
2»

Replies

• AngelRobbie
    AngelRobbie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Wow, these are some really great ideas! I am totally going to try those granola bars when I go next month!

My little trick for healthy snacking while camping is I mix sandwhich sized zip loc bags with dried fruit and nuts (dried cranberries, apples, pineapple, and cashews, almonds, peanuts, etc..) Sometimes I'll add M&M's but I found that unless you keep them in the cooler, they tend to get melty. I make a bunch of these baggies in different varieties before I go (and I measure out each ingredient so I know how many calories are in each bag.) That way, I can just grab one and go! Have a great time camping everyone!
  • helenoftroy1
    helenoftroy1 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    bump. I don't have a freezer or fridge. Any other ideas?
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Invest in a GOOD cooler and lots of ice.
    A good cooler when opened ONLY WHEN NEEDED will stay cold for three or four days.
  • mrs_deg1983
    mrs_deg1983 Posts: 157
    Options
    hobo stu

bround beeg or beef chunks add veggies and or a can of veggie soup. slop on hard bread. feels like roughing it.
  • virgomuse
    virgomuse Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I tent camp a few times a year. I have two good coolers w/ lots of ice and bring fresh pre cut veggies and fruit. I pre measure salads (mostly the lettuce base) into tuperware containers then they serve as bowls to eat out of. I also make my own salad dressings. For protien, I get that from nuts, cheese, pre-boiled eggs, canned tuna (they have ring top/pouch single serve no need to keep cold) or Health Valley fruit & yogurt smoothy (no need to keep cold) same w/ fruit squeeze. I bring dry cereal, pre messured in baggies and either add dried fruit or nuts or just have fresh fruit w/ it for breakfast or snack. I may bring juice pouches for my kids (sometimes). I also bring beef jerky for the kids. I try to stick to my normal diet (mostly veg/raw/whole) as much as possilbe. It takes effort but it is sooo worth it. Did you notice?... no grill (i don't have one, so I don't plan meals for one)
  • LoViNlIFe0225
    LoViNlIFe0225 Posts: 121
    Options
    A good cooler when opened ONLY WHEN NEEDED will stay cold for three or four days.

You can also get a cooler that plugs into your car battery and will keep cool...still have ice cause you don't want to run your battery down : )
  • Artistjenn
    Artistjenn Posts: 3
    Options
    Hobo dinners- our take is a bit different. Jimmy deans ground breakfast sausage, sliced raw potatoes, baby carrots, diced onion, butter, own favorite seasonings, salt and pepper to taste. You can add as much of each to your liking/ calorie needs in your own tin foil pouch. I double wrap mine (2 layers of foil) and just place them on the hot coals in the campfire. takes about a half hour to cook depending on the heat in your fire and you should flip them over half way thru at least. if you don't like crispy edges to your veggies you can place on a grill or rack above the fire but will take longer to cook.
  • Artistjenn
    Options
    My s-i-l came up with this one: mini pizzas. You need round camping sandwich irons. Take English muffins, pizza sauce, mozz cheese, peperoni, (optional) sauerkraut. preheat the irons in the fire then coat lightly with cooking spray. make "sandwich" inside your english muffin with sauce on both sides and cheese surrounding the peperoni. place the stack in the iron and lock shut. toast over the fire till the muffin is lightly browned and the cheese is melted. it doesn't take long to cook if the fire is hot.
  • Artistjenn
    Options

You can also get a cooler that plugs into your car battery and will keep cool...still have ice cause you don't want to run your battery down : )

Prechill or freeze foods and beverages. place in the cooler with room for ice to fill in the cracks. then fill with ice cubes enough to cover everything. As long as the food is buried in the ice its easy to keep cold. lighter cooled items like butter or eggs can sit on top of the ice. only open cooler when needed and replace ice as it melts.
  • mecagney
    mecagney Posts: 21
    Options
    Excited to go camping now. Great ideas and topic!