How big of a deal is pre-diabetes?

Options
I had gestational diabetes with my last two pregnancies (youngest child is 6 months old). I have been checking my fasting blood sugars lately and they are usually over 100. I go in next week for a fasting glucose tolerance test but am preparing myself to be diagnosed with pre-diabetes. I am taking it seriously. I am only 36 and don't want to be dealing with diabetes for the rest of my life if I can help it.

When I have talked to people about it IRL who either have pre-diabetes or diabetes to find out what their experience was and what their diet plan looks like I am hearing comments like, "That isn't that bad. My doctor said not to worry until my fasting numbers are over 125" or "No big deal. You can control it with diet. I refuse to take medicine (as they eat chips and white bread for lunch". IMO this is a case of people who are not taking this health condition seriously (or maybe not enough education by doctors?) but am wondering how others would react if they found out that they had pre-diabetes. And yes, I know that I have not been diagnosed yet, but whether or not I get that official diagnosis my numbers are going up, since they were ok after I had my baby. So, I want to take charge of it now so that things don't get worse, if I can control it.

I'm also curious to know what the statistics are in being able to control diabetes with diet and exercise. I know many people are effective at lowering their numbers after losing weight and changing their lifestyle, but what percent are not able to even with those changes? I think it is great that there are things we can do to manage diabetes, but got frustrated when I had GD and people made comments about it, implying that because I was on insulin I wasn't following the diet plan that I was given, which wasn't true.

Replies

• caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't know about the statistics, but I can share my experience. I am diabetic, not pre-diabetic, but this information should still apply. When you have your test, ask about a nutritional course or plan-- many hospitals and health systems have them ongoing. That will help clarify what is required and recommended for you nutritionally as a pre-diabetic/diabetic. Honestly, the recommendations simply make good sense for anyone, blood sugar issues or not. They are sensible and fairly simple. This is what my class taught me, other folks may have received variations on this:

15g= 1 serving of carb. There should be around 12 servings of carb per day, maximum, 3 servings for each meal, plus three 15g snacks, for example, but there should be no more that 45g at a time. I tend to eat less than 45g during breakfast and lunch, around 45g at dinner. It is always better to make better nutritional choices, of course, fruits in moderation, vegetables, and whole grains, but it is possible to allow yourself a serving of chips (around 15 chips, usually) or white bread now and then. For example, my lunch today will be 1 cup low sodium tomato soup and 3/4 cup cottage cheese. That's 23g, or one and a half servings. Try to avoid too much fat, especially the bad fats, but a little fat is recommended with each meal.

I remained D&E only for 8 years this way, and I have lost 100 pounds (120 total, but I gained some back, that is why I am on here-- to see what errors I am making and where). Eventually, since this is a progressive disease, I had to add Metformin to the plan because though my daytime/evening numbers were great, my waking numbers were higher than I wanted (around 124) . For a while I was upset and considered it a failure on my part, but I realized that I had done what I was supposed to do and I accepted it. I am still on the right road, and I am very pleased with my numbers.

I wish you luck on this journey-- I hope your test shows you are not pre-diabetic, but if it does, it really is very manageable with a little effort, education and common sense!

Namaste, Cari
    15405351.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    I'm afraid I don't know about the statistics, but I can share my experience. I am diabetic, not pre-diabetic, but this information should still apply. When you have your test, ask about a nutritional course or plan-- many hospitals and health systems have them ongoing. That will help clarify what is required and recommended for you nutritionally as a pre-diabetic/diabetic. Honestly, the recommendations simply make good sense for anyone, blood sugar issues or not. They are sensible and fairly simple. This is what my class taught me, other folks may have received variations on this:

15g= 1 serving of carb. There should be around 12 servings of carb per day, maximum, 3 servings for each meal, plus three 15g snacks, for example, but there should be no more that 45g at a time. I tend to eat less than 45g during breakfast and lunch, around 45g at dinner. It is always better to make better nutritional choices, of course, fruits in moderation, vegetables, and whole grains, but it is possible to allow yourself a serving of chips (around 15 chips, usually) or white bread now and then. For example, my lunch today will be 1 cup low sodium tomato soup and 3/4 cup cottage cheese. That's 23g, or one and a half servings. Try to avoid too much fat, especially the bad fats, but a little fat is recommended with each meal.

I remained D&E only for 8 years this way, and I have lost 100 pounds (120 total, but I gained some back, that is why I am on here-- to see what errors I am making and where). Eventually, since this is a progressive disease, I had to add Metformin to the plan because though my daytime/evening numbers were great, my waking numbers were higher than I wanted (around 124) . For a while I was upset and considered it a failure on my part, but I realized that I had done what I was supposed to do and I accepted it. I am still on the right road, and I am very pleased with my numbers.

I wish you luck on this journey-- I hope your test shows you are not pre-diabetic, but if it does, it really is very manageable with a little effort, education and common sense!

Namaste, Cari
    15405351.png

I agree with this! I'm not diabetic but my husband is. He has type 1 diagnosed at age 7. He has struggled with it most his life and it's not something I wish upon anyone. He has taken care of himself and is under control but diabetes still wreaks havoc one's body. He's only 34 and is almost legally blind, has had several eye surgeries. His hands and feet hurt all the time. He can't walk/run for more than 30 minutes with severe pain, he does it anyway but I know he's in pain. He can't hold a screwdriver or anything that requires a tight grip for more than a few minutes. Prevent before it happens, you still have the power to not even have to deal with it. Good luck!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know any numbers or percentages. As an earlier poster stated I can only talk about myself. I always been overweight from the age of 12 and up. Never cared about losing weight or being healthy until I found out I had diabetes type II in Dec. 2009. I did a 180 on my lifestyle. I quit soda pop cold turkey and slowly weaned myself off fast food.

I became more active and track my food intake. Following my doctors advice I avoided all white breads and sugars while following a Atkins light type of a diet. I think I restricted myself to 200 grams of crabs a day. Over time my sugar level numbers kept improving and my doctor began lowering the dosage on the meds I was taking . After losing a little over 100 lbs. in Jan 2011 I was no longer diabetic. In the follow ups I've had I show no signs of ever having diabetes in the first place.

Besides the obvious change in lifestyle and eating habits, my doctor says I am young and didn't have the diabetes for very long. He believes under 6 months. Plus when he did diagnosed me with it my AC1 was in the mid 7's. Henche why I was able to reverse it. Everyones different some people can change and get rid of diabetes while others will have to take meds/diet for the rest of their lives.
  • caritiger
    Options
    And I can't stress enough how vital the exercise is-- at least a half hour a day, a walk, biking, yoga, dancing, something! I do an hour a day usually, unless I am ill or injured. That will do wonders to keep your sugars under control!

15405351.png
  • Arthemise1
    Arthemise1 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    ... but got frustrated when I had GD and people made comments about it, implying that because I was on insulin I wasn't following the diet plan that I was given, which wasn't true.

I know exactly what you mean. I stuck to the diet, and I still had to take pills and then shots and then more shots. The doctor also said I had to stop gaining weight. It was water. My proof is that I lost it all pretty quickly after I had the baby. Good luck. I could be in the same boat eventually.
  • kristinL16
    kristinL16 Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experiences. It helps to know what has worked for others. If nothing else this is a wake up call that I need to pay attention to. I know that having GD means you have a much higher risk of developing Type II diabetes but thought that I had time to work on it before I had to start worrying. I also thought that I was too young (will be 37 next month) and not "overweight enough". I am 5' 0 and weigh 148 right now. In talking with people I know that isn't the case now. I also found out when pregnant that my grandfather has Type II and he is not overweight. He also has family members that had/have it and were not significantly overweight, either. Prior to that I thought I had no family history.

caritiger--thanks for sharing your carb/diet plan. When I was pregnant I went to a class and talked with dieticians. They gave carb limits of 15 for breakfast and three snacks (between meals and before bed) and 60 for lunch and dinner. After I had DS they said that I could stick to the same plan but go to 45 or 60 for breakfast as well. When I go in on Wednesday I will ask what they recommend. My clinic seems pretty on top of things so I assume that if I am indeed pre-diabetic they will send me to another class or at least a meeting with a dietician.
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm in a very similar position. I had gestational diabetes with my latest pregnancy (she's 7 months) and my 3 hr results with the first pregnancy were acceptable but my OB should have educated me - I would have changed my diet but I didn't know anything about how diabetes could effect the unborn child (he was born with low blood sugar). Currently my fasting count is in the low-mid 90s but I still follow a similar diet (& excercise regularyly) to make sure pre-diabetes and diabetes stay away for good! (and I'd like to see my count drop lower)

I'm thankful that GD was diagnosed with this pregnancy because it made me so much more aware of my diet and that excercise is so important for helping insulin process the sugar. I read Pre-diabetes for Dummies and would suggest you check to see what your library has on the subject (regardless of whether or not your are diagnosed with pre-diabetes). Good luck!
  • kristinL16
    Options
    Thanks for the book suggestion. I will see if the library has it.

I do really need to exercise more. I couldn't do much formal exercise in pregnancy due to a history of preterm labor (although I have four kids and still did everything else that I normally do) and am finding it hard to fit it in now between kids and our work schedules. I just need to tell myself that it IS important for me to go to the gym. Not just for me but for the whole family.
  • marci423
    marci423 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I so agree with this statement a previous poster wrote:

"Prevent before it happens, you still have the power to not even have to deal with it. Good luck! "

My parents were diabetics. My dad has been gone for over 20 years, but his health wasn't great. My mom? She has lived with me for the past 1.5 years due to having 2 strokes because she didn't take care of herself. She didn't eat healthy and failed to see "diabetes" as an issue. She drank pop and ate greasy pizza.

Me? well, if you look at my profile pic, you will see how I looked before her strokes, I wasn't eating totally wrong, but I wasn't taking care of myself either. Today I am 50lbs lighter and a whole lot healthier.......with a sugar level of 94 :o) I am "preventing it before it happens" I am very subject to getting the disease and after what I have been through with my mom, I didn't want my daughter to have to do the same with me.

My daughter and I now run 5k's (she is 17, I am 42) I go to the gym 3 times for 2 hours each time, and do a lot of walking/jogging on the other days. I stock HEALTHY foods in my kitchen and rarely eat out.

My advice? Educate yourself, don't let "diabetes, stroke, heart attack" or any other scary word be "something that happens to others" it can hit too close to home, and when it does, it is often too late.

good luck :o)
  • issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    After my mother died from kidney failure due to her type II diabetes I researched how to prevent diabetes and that is why I try to follow South Beach Living guidelines. There were several type II diabetics on my South Beach message board (it was closed by AOL) and many of them were able to get off of their meds by following South Beach.
    I think you are smart to be concerned and take it seriously.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't have it, but I have seen several studies that suggest ST can help a lot. It seems that the more lean muscle mass you have, the greater control over you insulin which could help regulate. Sorry I can't be more helpful but something to consider when you try to get everything back in order.

http://diabetes.webmd.com/strength-training-diabetes
  • kristinL16
    Options
    I so agree with this statement a previous poster wrote:

"Prevent before it happens, you still have the power to not even have to deal with it. Good luck! "

My parents were diabetics. My dad has been gone for over 20 years, but his health wasn't great. My mom? She has lived with me for the past 1.5 years due to having 2 strokes because she didn't take care of herself. She didn't eat healthy and failed to see "diabetes" as an issue. She drank pop and ate greasy pizza.

Me? well, if you look at my profile pic, you will see how I looked before her strokes, I wasn't eating totally wrong, but I wasn't taking care of myself either. Today I am 50lbs lighter and a whole lot healthier.......with a sugar level of 94 :o) I am "preventing it before it happens" I am very subject to getting the disease and after what I have been through with my mom, I didn't want my daughter to have to do the same with me.

My daughter and I now run 5k's (she is 17, I am 42) I go to the gym 3 times for 2 hours each time, and do a lot of walking/jogging on the other days. I stock HEALTHY foods in my kitchen and rarely eat out.

My advice? Educate yourself, don't let "diabetes, stroke, heart attack" or any other scary word be "something that happens to others" it can hit too close to home, and when it does, it is often too late.

good luck :o)
    I hear you. It is so frustrating when people close to you don't take their health seriously. My husband's stepfather has been diabetic for years. He does no physical exercise (and not even much activity since my MIL does everything for him) and eats horribly. It is just a matter of time before something bad happens to him. But even now his quality of life, IMO, is not good.

My dad also had a stroke at the age of 50. He was overweight, had high cholesterol and was a smoker. He died at 54 of leukemia. I want to have a long, healthy life and feel good while I am here. I can't say that I will have a "perfect" diet every day, but will definitely keep making positive changes.
  • cmccorma
    cmccorma Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I got GD as well and that was one of the reasons I joined this site to lose weight. Three months post-partum, my fasting number was 101, which is about 3 higher than my doctor wanted to see. I know different doctors have different cut off points. She encouraged me to lose weight and check again in a few months. I had also developed hypertension which continued post-partum as well. Prior to pregnancy, despite being overweight, my blood sugar was lower than normal as was my blood pressure. I go back for a blood pressure check in a month or so. I attribute a little to my age (35 when I had my baby, who is 4 and a half months old now). I have lost close to 12 lbs so far and I am thinking I will get out my meter from my pregnancy and check my fasting tomorrow. I know when pregnant that mornings were the worst and for me, I could have 0 carbs for breakfast. I now either do a high fiber oatmeal or egg whites with low fat cheese.
  • jobryan4
    jobryan4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the book suggestion. I will see if the library has it.

I do really need to exercise more. I couldn't do much formal exercise in pregnancy due to a history of preterm labor (although I have four kids and still did everything else that I normally do) and am finding it hard to fit it in now between kids and our work schedules. I just need to tell myself that it IS important for me to go to the gym. Not just for me but for the whole family.

I know fitting in exercise can be difficult, it's difficult for me with only 2 kids, not 4. At least it used to be difficult to fit it in, after a few months of making it a priority it's easier to find time for it (& I feel so much better). You don't have to start with long or intense workouts - start by taking a short walk after you eat and then gradually make more time for it and/or increase the intensity. When I started I was able to get to the gym after I got the baby to bed but schedules have changed (as they do with babies) and I can't get there before they close now so most of my exercise during the week is at home. I jog or walk in the neighborhood or do a DVD or video on hulu in the living room. Try to think outside of the gym to get started - it also cuts out your travel time & cost. I'm even thinking about cancelling my gym membership since I do so many of my workouts at home. IMO exercise is just as important, if not more so, for controlling BG.
  • JamCubeChi
    JamCubeChi Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Not sure of any stats but from personal experience-both me & hubby were diagnosed with pre-diabetes. Out md used the A1C measure as our fasting blood sugars were within the normal ranges. My A1c was 6 & hubby's was 7-8. Basically our doc told us to cut out sugars, desserts, sweets, chocolate, oranges and orange juice. ( I though ti was going to die without my chocolate and oranges and I will still have some now and then but not daily like before-I used to have a hot chocolate almost eveyday-like some people have coffee)
    We both started walking and did what he recommended. Both our A1C levels are now within normal range or under 5 which is where he wanted it. We also try to look for products with less than 7 Gm of sugar (like breakfast cereal or packaged foods. If you can find anything with 5 G or less that's even better. Good luck to you!:smile:
  • rdunlap81
    rdunlap81 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had gestational diabetes when pregnant with my last child who is now 21 months old. The Endocrinologist told me that if I didn't do something after having the baby my chances of getting type 2 is 60% b/c my dad has type 2. She suggested that I stay on the diabetic diet and get my heart rate up at least 20 minutes a day. Also I am suppose to be around 120-140 lbs. That is why I chose this website to help me get to my ideal weight and prevent diabetes altogether.

Breakfast is 1 carb (15 grams of carbs) and a protein
    morning snack- 1 carb and protein
    Lunch 3 carbs, protein, and veggies
    midafternoon snack-2 carb and protein
    Dinner-same as lunch
    Night snack-same as morning snack
  • asugar
    asugar Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My husband was just over the border of having diabetes. Through the MFP and exercise he has lowered it to normal. He did not want to take medicine. We are happy about his progress. He has lost 20 lbs in the last 3 mo. on MFP.
  • caritiger
    Options
    [/quote]
    I hear you. It is so frustrating when people close to you don't take their health seriously. My husband's stepfather has been diabetic for years. He does no physical exercise (and not even much activity since my MIL does everything for him) and eats horribly. It is just a matter of time before something bad happens to him. But even now his quality of life, IMO, is not good.

My dad also had a stroke at the age of 50. He was overweight, had high cholesterol and was a smoker. He died at 54 of leukemia. I want to have a long, healthy life and feel good while I am here. I can't say that I will have a "perfect" diet every day, but will definitely keep making positive changes.
    [/quote]

My new mother-in-law really worries me-- she has been diabetic for years now, and recently ended up in the hospital for 3 days because her kidneys weren't functioning properly. She even said to me-- "make sure you take care of yours, so you won't have to do this." Then the day she was released the first thing she did was go get a big fried fish dinner. :( I hope I will be able to persuade her that the foods she should eat can be delicious too, and that she can have things she enjoys in moderation.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Shared just to pass on info ('cause 'data' is always good, right?): There's a researcher in my lab that specializes in obesity and diabetes. According to her, much of the 'damage' done to our tissues because of obesity occurs before we even began having symptoms. Pre-diabetes is the beginnings of symptoms caused by obesity... so while you won't feel sick necessarily, pre-diabetes IS a big deal. It's a warning that damage has already been done. You can reverse that damage... but the longer you wait the worse it becomes.

Good luck!
  • grimm1974
    grimm1974 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I am 37. I was pre-diabetic back when I was 36. After having an aunt lose a leg last year due to diabetes, I looked to fix the problem. I found MFP, and about half a year later I am no longer in that danger zone. You learn to find time for exercise. I have 4 kids, commute 2 hours a day, and work 8-9 hours a day.